random strangers to play golf with.

mick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i went to the club tonight for a quick 9 holes on my own after work.i was just about to tee off when another single ball came up the path,as i always do i invited him to play with me.this turned out to be a huge mistake,he was useless,which wasn't the problem everyone has to start somewhere,but took ages over his shots atleast 4 practice swings stopping to look at the hole after every one only to duff it,spent ages lining up puts only to get nowhere near the hole,obviously been watching to much golf on telly,and to top it all his was crap company,he hardly said a word.I am now re-thinking my play with anybody menatality,as i would have had a much quicker,and more enjoyable round on my own.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Dontcha just love those who feel the "real golfing experience"
I know they've got to start somewhere - just not near me!!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I turned up and met an old geezer one day who had a posh powakaddy. I couldn't keep up with him, no practice strokes, 3 safe shots to the green, 2 putts etc.etc.
The final straw was on the lake hole (12th) he was laying up short and I went over. He pulled out his club for the lay-up and off his trolley went. I stepped up for my "tin cup" moment and saw his trolley heading straight for the lake. So, I dropped my 3w, legged it like an Olympic Hippo and wrestled the trolley to the ground 4 yards short. I was covered in mud and hurt my leg! :(

I got up and saw the bloke walking up to me having a major chuckle to himself. He looked at me and said "go and play your shot Dave, the trolley's remote controlled!!!" :eek:

I forgave him after he bought me 3 pints in the bar and told every last member the story... :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree everyone has to start somewhere but not with me please. I am a great one for playing solo rounds especially in the week after work. It lets me unwind from the stress of the day and I can go at my own pace and try things out on the course that I may have been working on.

I presume it is a private club you belong to Mick. In which case I'm surprised they allow players like that to play. At most clubs I know, if you are a novice you have to play with the pro or have lessons first. Before people start shouting that is unfair, it is to speed play up for everybody and to make the golfing experience better for the player themself. You don't normally have to progress far. Most clubs will let you loose once you can prove you are capable of playing to 28 but without digging up most of the fairways in doing so.

As for the amount of practice swings, that is clearly TV related but I am sure that a few rounds with other club members repeating that behaviour will lead to suggestions to just stand there and top the bloody thing forward

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great story realgolferuk, H.I.D is giving me a very strange look as I chuckle away.

I have done this once or twice at my local municipal with great success, probably because on both occasion I have played like a spanner and lost both times.

Am hoping to meet up with Homer on our blind golfing odyssey soon, will keep you all posted (hoping to move in week Friday Homer will be in contact ASAP)

freduk

Hacker
Visit site
Just dont do it, there's a reason that these loners have no one to play with, if you end up at a restaurant on your own you dont grab any other lone diner to join you, dont do it on the course. If I decided to get in a quick round after work dont presume that I d rather be with you than on my own.

Its wrong dont do it

Freduk

i

mick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
steady on freduk it was a post to provoke a dicussion,not to get somebody out of their pram.i am quite happy to play on my own and was willing to do so tonight.i thought i would be doing the man a favour by him getting off straight away rather than waiting on the tee for me to finish the hole.obviously it backfired on me,however i have done this before and have had enjoyable rounds with decent players.

homer it is private course,however as long as you are forwarded and seconded by a member you are free to join and play,it makes you think who forwarded this muppet.the idea of being able to play to a 28 standard before being let loose on members is a good one i think,i mean there is municipal courses.

freduk

Hacker
Visit site
No all I was trying to say is may be the guy wanted to play on his own, I dare say he was aware of his own limitations and may be he just needs some time to practice, its ok to march in and help but may be you should think first rather than moan about it afterwards. Did either of you have a good time?

Freduk

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Mick
I think it's courtesy to ask if a lone golfer would like to join you, if they really wanted to play on their own they could always decline the offer and vice versa, if you wanted to be on your own, don't offer.
I have made some good friends on the golf course by joining up midway round and finishing together and usually it's me playing like a muppet :eek:
it can also be a good way for new members to get to know people in the club if they are abit nervous about playing in club nights etc straight away.

mick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
well i didn't tee his ball up and hit his first drive for him,i asked him if he'd like to join me rather than hold him up and he accepted.if you re read my first post it was not the standard of his play that bothered me,i quote "everyones got to start somewhere",it was the fact that he took so long over his rubbish shots that got me hot under the collar,i did not enjoy my round i dont think anyone ever does when being held up by ridiculas slow play.

mick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
sorry barb posted while you were,i enjoy many rounds with golfers i've never met before,i do agree with you it is courtesy to ask a lone golfer if they would like to join you.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Right from the beginning, which is not so long ago, I usually went round on my own, often still do. I was often invited to join others, or invited others myself, but always warned them I was a beginner. That never put anyone off and the help and encouragement I received made it all worth while.
Even the bad shots don't slow things down that much as I learnt very quickly which shots into the bundu just weren't worth bothering to look for (hence start off with cheapo lake balls).

welshjim22

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't know about other beginners but i do feel a little under pressure being watched so do prefer shots from the fairway or rough as opposed to the tee. When i turn up to play i just want to get away from the 1st tee asap. Not looking forward to a busier course in the summer. Not being watched takes the pressure off a little and i can relax. Having said that a more experienced player can offer advice through which i have learned a lot.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I will play with anyone, with one proviso, play at a decent speed. It doesn't have to be lightening fast, just reasonable. I don't care how many shots are played, or balls lost (but don't expect me to look for them if they are in neck deep bundu), just get on with it. A preshot routine is fine, if it is brief, and if it helps. Clearly if you only duff the ball 15 yards each shot, the routine is not working.

It is a shame when the person you end up joining is dull though. Especially if you then have to avoid them for the next 18 months. I bumped into one of these in the bar only last week. 'We played last year' he said ' we should fix up another game some time, let me get my diary'. I have never left the bar so quickly.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I once played with a fella who was a one ball, his conversation was so boring I wished he would have shut up and let me concentrate on my game rather than make 2hrs of crap small talk, I was so close to turning around and saying "look pal, I don't know you and to be honest don't want to as I have pals already and in need to no more, I just wanted to be polite and keep the course play at a decent level".

As it goes I don't take golf that serious, its a game and just that, its to be enjoyed and not rushed so why moan on about slow play this and that as if we are all Seve or Tiger? Its the small man syndrome it seems sometimes.

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I will play with anyone, with one proviso, play at a decent speed. It doesn't have to be lightening fast, just reasonable. I don't care how many shots are played, or balls lost (but don't expect me to look for them if they are in neck deep bundu), just get on with it. A preshot routine is fine, if it is brief, and if it helps. Clearly if you only duff the ball 15 yards each shot, the routine is not working.

It is a shame when the person you end up joining is dull though. Especially if you then have to avoid them for the next 18 months. I bumped into one of these in the bar only last week. 'We played last year' he said ' we should fix up another game some time, let me get my diary'. I have never left the bar so quickly.
I know well - I play off 20+, however, I never play slow - I loathe it. I find playing to a normal speed helps me keep a rhythm.
I like playing both with others and by myself – generally I find folks try to help me and don’t mind my bad play as long as I keep to the rules and keep moving.
Last week someone joined me - I cant remember his name - but I am going to call him Mr Charisma. He was no craic at all, he did not respond to any praise I gave his game and hardly opened his mouth at all the full 3 hours we where together. I was tempted to 'hurt' my back and go home after an hour.

Last year I was at the local muni course I asked a few men on the first if I could join them. They had all the gear, so I thought I would warn them I was a beginner. 'No problem' came the reply 'so are we I borrowed the brothers clubs and Joe is using the sister in laws' Needless to say after the third I had to rush home as I never realised what time it was.
Adversley I have met some great people while playing by myself and joining their company.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
The first guy I played with at Wybo (plays off 5 now) loathed slow play (actually sometimes too quick for his own good). I learnt from him to move between shots; get to your ball and be ready to play. I can't count the number of people who seem joined at the hip as they meander all across the course to gather round each ball in turn, with some fourballs advancing little more than 25 yards at a time.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is getting near time for me to go up the club on my own and find new groups to play with. Have one semi-regular group but they do not play every week.

Is it better to pitch up to the clubhouse/first tee and ask around or is it more polite to set up to go out on your own and wait to be invited?