random strangers to play golf with.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd be prepared to (and do) ask other solos if they would like to join up but would be hesitant to ask a group, though I have been asked, and joined, groups when invited.

I suppose from the etiquette point of view you should ask those behind you.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Parmo, that's the whole point. It isn't serious, so why do they look at a putt from 15 angles, and then leave it 10 feet short? Non serious golf is about having fun, and I can't have fun if I hit one shot every 20 minutes, it is just annoying.

I play a lot of my golf in the evenings after work. There are only a few hours of daylight left, and slow play is a nightmare. I often get stuck behind people whose sole aim is to get in at precisely the time it gets too dark to play, not caring that there are others behind them who won't get round.

I will play with anyone who is good company, plays at a reasonable pace, and doesn't get annoyed with the way they are playing. Most of the time I don't count my shots anyway. The score is not the most important thing for me during the week, the quality of the strike is the thing.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
GB72 - If you belong to the club, just ask if they are a 4, and if not can you join up. It is a great way to meet people. They should ask, but there is no harm done in jumping in first.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Ironically I did just this when I joined my current club. There was a 3 ball on the tee, so I thought ' I am a member, I shall ask to join up as I don't know anyone'. They had a think, and then said yes, why not. I knew I was in trouble when they each pulled out 1 irons, and effortlessly carted them past where I would be for 2 normally.

David is now on the European tour, James is off plus 1, and the 'hacker' of the group, Ralph was off 4.

I kept my head down, and tried not to get in their way for the whole 18.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
GB72 - If you belong to the club, just ask if they are a 4, and if not can you join up. It is a great way to meet people. They should ask, but there is no harm done in jumping in first.

Will give it a go. That is the only problem with my club, not a lot in the way of roll ups and such like. Seems to be a comp most weekends but many of those you are epected to turn up in your own group. Still, have nothing to lose so Saturday or Sunday morning I shall be out trying to find new people to play with.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Even if you don't succeed at first, keep trying because someone will be happy to join up. It really is a good way of meeting people if there aren't any roll ups.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Mick

At the risk of being offensive (given that imho 18 and scratch are the purest handicaps), who the f*** do you think you are!!

You are off 18, trust me that is not good, can you imagine playing with someone 14 shots a round better than you and how they must feel?

It is your,and our duty to help this person in their journey in golf.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nico, I rate your opinion, always, but I think Mick said in his post it was ok the chap was a beginner, it was the other stuff that did his nut. If I team up with someone who turns out to be near scratch or something, I am fully aware that I'm slowing him up if I take loads of practice swings and change my game accordingly. I personaly do my utmost to reassure a beginner/poor player that whatever they want to do is fine with me, so they enjoy their game. No matter how relaxed we all are and socialable, sometimes turn-up pairings do go pear-shaped. I got stuck with a 28 one Sunday who expected me to walk around the rough for 5 hours helping him find the ball.....it ruined my game.....I'm not going to pretend it didn't. Maybe Mick was just venting....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Nico

In basic terms that is about the most idiotic crass comment that has been put here for a while. Just because a guy is of 18 and playing with low single figure players why does that make the experience so miserable for the lower handicapper.

I had the pleasure of playing with Jezz Ellwood recently who plays of 5 compared to my 14 and I really struggled onthe day. It didn't affect him too much as he went round in +1

Just because you play at a decent standard and are lucky enough to be able to play with flashy pured shafts don't go giving it th who the f**k routine. Everyone has to start somewhere and everyone eventually reaches their plateau. If that guy happens to play to 18 and thats as good as he gets what gives you the right to criticise him and his ability.

Let me tell you if you had that attitude with me or most of my golfing buddies you would be playing a lot of games on your own.

I take it we can expect another sub handicap performance from you this weekend then.

Plonker!!!

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Realgolfer,I think we both made the same point in different ways.

Whatever way the handicaps go we shouldnt make the other person feel bad,but we who are further along the way have a duty to the person we play with and those who follow us.

I fully accept your point, chance meetings cant always go well.

If I can illustrate. I had no idea that I was slow (deathly slow) until I played with a pro(now one of my closest mates) who told me and also started to show me how to fix it. My education was completed by someone else but without the first pointer how was I supposed to know?

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Homer,now that is offensive!!

Re-read my post and look at my signature,I know I am lucky.

I was trying to point out that we should take care of those that chance places us with!!

We have knowledge that should be passed on that is how the traditions of this great game work.

I was trying to show that handicap differences are all relative.

As for this weekend I will raise a glass to you in the "Melting Pot" bar on Quinta Do Lago.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Oh,and by the way myself and my partner got a spanking from a 10 and 14 handicap pair today in a league match, well deserved too!!

They played awesome.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Homer,actually just read your first post on this thread.

How dare you critisise me!!

I took Mick to task because he was too harsh,we all began somewhere but clearly not with you.

Claerly you feel that your handicap precludes you from having to play with beginners.

I meant who the F*** are you? from the heart because we all of us no matter the handicap or the kit should be there for those on the start of our life in golf.

I deserve and await an apology.

mick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
nico i hope you dont kiss your mother with that mouth.congatulations you may be the only person who has posted on this thread,who has brought absolutely nothing to it.I may be playing off 18 but i am doing eveything in my power to lower that(hit an 82 and 85 yesterday par 70 course),and playing only two years of serious golf i dont think thats bad.

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You are off 18, trust me that is not good, can you imagine playing with someone 14 shots a round better than you and how they must feel?

Why oh why oh why (etc etc) do people get this crazy idea that your golf handicap somehow makes you into a better or worse person??????

You play off scratch whooo hooo you play of 28 big deal!

I am officially useless at this game (got a certificate and everyfink)do I play slow? compared to a guy who takes two to the green yes I do, not on purpose it's just because I'm rubbish!

However I play golf in the spirit I believe it was intended to be played in.

I know the rules, I take my penalties (and there are lots), I say hello to fellow golfers as I pass by, I shout fore when required, I dress like I'm supposed to be there and I behave generally in the manner in which you are supposed to do on a golf course.

The last time I checked this was a game I know we all want to improve etc but come on all this I play off X therefore I am superior is foolish! The day I start talking like my worth as a human being is wrapped up in my handicap is the day you can take me outside and shoot me!

Some people need to get a grip (and not a golf pride one)

evita4

Head Pro
Visit site

Why oh why oh why (etc etc) do people get this crazy idea that your golf handicap somehow makes you into a better or worse person??????

You play off scratch whooo hooo you play of 28 big deal!

I am officially useless at this game (got a certificate and everyfink)do I play slow? compared to a guy who takes two to the green yes I do, not on purpose it's just because I'm rubbish!

However I play golf in the spirit I believe it was intended to be played in.

I know the rules, I take my penalties (and there are lots), I say hello to fellow golfers as I pass by, I shout fore when required, I dress like I'm supposed to be there and I behave generally in the manner in which you are supposed to do on a golf course.

The last time I checked this was a game I know we all want to improve etc but come on all this I play off X therefore I am superior is foolish! The day I start talking like my worth as a human being is wrapped up in my handicap is the day you can take me outside and shoot me!

Some people need to get a grip (and not a golf pride one)

And behold, if you wait long enough someone comes along on this thread who actually makes a valid point. I wholeheartedly agree with you Anthony.

mick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
well said forefortheday,as I have said in countless posts it was not that the man played badly,it was the amount of time he took to play the round in general.i personally couldn't care what you play off or if you have a handicap at all i will join you in a round,all i ask is you play that round in a timely fashion,and have consideration for other people on the course.realgolferuk was right i was just venting certainly didn't want to cause an argument when new to this forum.