Awkward GP entry

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played with 2 friends and we all put a general play in, after 8 holes the other two didn’t want to carry on because of the mist.

They asked me if they could delete their round I thought probably not but not sure , and they would most likely get a penalty if they didn’t enter a score.

That left me on my own I carried on ( mist cleared by the time I got to the 10th) I didn’t want to get a penalty for not entering a score so I said to friend I would put him as attester and I scribbled his name when I entered my round.

Now I know that was not what I should have done but couldn’t think what else I could do.

What’s the opinion of my actions?

It just shows how much the new system is open to abuse though.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You can swipe somewhere in the EG app and it let's you cancel.
I guess that a clubs handicap committee will get flagged up to them (by WHS or the app) any member who frequently cancels rounds. Seems a rather obvious way to do a bit of handicap manipulation…round going too well/poorly? Just swipe and cancel it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As long as you were honest with your score, putted out etc, I don't have a problem with it. Otherwise you've been stitched up by your playing partners.

Seems a bit silly that you can just cancel a planned score anyway. I thought you'd have to enter the remaining holes for them as 'not started'.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site

It just shows how much the new system is open to abuse though.
Really disappointed.
I‘m assuming you were all pre-registered on the EG App
1. As already stated, your friends could have deleted their rounds, as could you, the App asks for a reason, and there is a Deleted Rounds report available for the Handicap Committee to review.
2. You have knowingly submitted a card that doesn’t comply with the Rules of Handicapping, it hasn't been attested by a playing partner.
3. Your friend (attester) is complicit in the process.
4. Does a General Play card really mean that much to you?
5. If you had “pre-registered” by signing in a book at the Pro Shop and then taken the card in afterwards and said “I played half the round by myself, X has signed the card but he didn’t see me play” do you think the Pro would say “that’s OK, no problem”?

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When whs first opened I was playing with a friend, all within the rules but he simply doesn't have the golf England app

I pre registered and played to get another friend to sign (my mate signed my card)

Glad I did it was one of my best ever scores. It would have felt wrong not to have it on my handicap

wjemather

Visit site
Played with 2 friends and we all put a general play in, after 8 holes the other two didn’t want to carry on because of the mist.

They asked me if they could delete their round I thought probably not but not sure , and they would most likely get a penalty if they didn’t enter a score.

That left me on my own I carried on ( mist cleared by the time I got to the 10th) I didn’t want to get a penalty for not entering a score so I said to friend I would put him as attester and I scribbled his name when I entered my round.

Now I know that was not what I should have done but couldn’t think what else I could do.

If the misty conditions were dangerous, that is a valid reason for abandoning the round, and since fewer than the minimum number of holes were completed, it can be deleted on the app. If conditions were not dangerous, they should not have abandoned the round and they should receive a Penalty Score.

Unless your friend witnessed the round, he cannot and should not attest it. Without a marker to witness your round, the score becomes unacceptable for handicapping. Your marker deserting you is a valid reason for abandoning (for handicapping purposes, even if you carry on playing). You should now contact your handicap committee to advise of your (and your friends) error and have the score deleted.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Really disappointed.
I‘m assuming you were all pre-registered on the EG App
1. As already stated, your friends could have deleted their rounds, as could you, the App asks for a reason, and there is a Deleted Rounds report available for the Handicap Committee to review.
2. You have knowingly submitted a card that doesn’t comply with the Rules of Handicapping, it hasn't been attested by a playing partner.
3. Your friend (attester) is complicit in the process.
4. Does a General Play card really mean that much to you?
5. If you had “pre-registered” by signing in a book at the Pro Shop and then taken the card in afterwards and said “I played half the round by myself, X has signed the card but he didn’t see me play” do you think the Pro would say “that’s OK, no problem”?

I’m on SG app and we couldn’t find anywhere to delete the round , we don’t have a pro shop so that wasn’t an option.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If the misty conditions were dangerous, that is a valid reason for abandoning the round, and since fewer than the minimum number of holes were completed, it can be deleted on the app. If conditions were not dangerous, they should not have abandoned the round and they should receive a Penalty Score.

Unless your friend witnessed the round, he cannot and should not attest it. Without a marker to witness your round, the

We are a small club and we were the only ones on the course so it wasn’t dangerous, I will have another look on the app and see if there is a delete option, as I said I wasn’t sure what to do but I realize now it was the wrong option i chose.