Random Irritations

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If someone reports a pothole to the council, they are obliged to repair it in a reasonable time.
If they don't fix it and your car is damaged, they must be held responsible surely ?

The council have 7 days to deal with it. Any damage after 7 days and they are liable. Went through this last year with my wife's car. It was only 4 days after and she got nothing. Pushed it as far as a could but if you want an example of Council spending, their immediate response was that they would have a team prepare a full report and send the senior officers from various teams involved to court if we decided to go to small claims (the area is notorious for potholes and there was a claim from one very nearby over 7 days previously). Basically the council was willing to spend dozens of man hours on a £60 claim.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Scottish Power putting our DD up to "get our account back on track". We are £7 in debit but this will be corrected as soon as our payment goes in next week and we are now entering the period of lower usage with reduced prices. What's the betting they reduce the payments again in a couple of months? If they kept them the same all year it would work out fine but they change them by too much each time and never settles

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
School admissions ..

Havering don't tell you until after 5pm

Someone from Thurrock who's going to my wife's school found out this morning

My mate in bath found out at midnight her daughter's got first choice .. she txt me at midnight very happy

Us? We still don't officially know

Unofficially we know they are in, we found out mid April from the school on the sly

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
School admissions ..

Havering don't tell you until after 5pm

Someone from Thurrock who's going to my wife's school found out this morning

My mate in bath found out at midnight her daughter's got first choice .. she txt me at midnight very happy

Us? We still don't officially know

Unofficially we know they are in, we found out mid April from the school on the sly

Thats interesting, I thought all admissions were done directly by the council, the schools get told on the day too.

Also, Mid April....as its the 16th today, are you being exact and you were told on the sly yesterday?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thats interesting, I thought all admissions were done directly by the council, the schools get told on the day too.

Also, Mid April....as its the 16th today, are you being exact and you were told on the sly yesterday?

Sorry we were told mid march! 21st to be exact

They are done by the council, the schools get told the month before

Usually. My mother in law's school don't have the list

So my wife was told by her head teacher few weeks ago

However I think it's ridiculous that someone in the borough next door is going to that school and is told this morning but the kids from this borough won't find out until this evening

Considering it's all done and dusted why wait?

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry we were told mid march! 21st to be exact

They are done by the council, the schools get told the month before

Usually. My mother in law's school don't have the list

So my wife was told by her head teacher few weeks ago

However I think it's ridiculous that someone in the borough next door is going to that school and is told this morning but the kids from this borough won't find out until this evening

Considering it's all done and dusted why wait?

Must be different up there then, I know a lot of people who are teachers and they dont get told by the council until the day.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Must be different up there then, I know a lot of people who are teachers and they dont get told by the council until the day.

Depends who in the school I believe, normal teachers won't know but school admins or the leadership team I think find out before

My mother in law is the heads assistant and she gets told normally before Easter

My wife got it from the head

But like for example her class teacher didn't have a clue

Still doesn't explain why they don't announce it at like midnight, ridiculous really

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Depends who in the school I believe, normal teachers won't know but school admins or the leadership team I think find out before

My mother in law is the heads assistant and she gets told normally before Easter

My wife got it from the head

But like for example her class teacher didn't have a clue

Still doesn't explain why they don't announce it at like midnight, ridiculous really

They're all leadership, my sister is a head and they just dont get told.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They're all leadership, my sister is a head and they just dont get told.

How strange, like you say must be different because they got the list 21st march

Email still not here but been refreshing the admission site since 4 and it's finally arrived and accepted

Soon as eldest gets in from rainbows we will tell them

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What happened to going to the nearest school? Or are parents putting faith in the Ofsted reports that schools don’t like now - but still use the one word assessments to attract pupils?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Up here most schools are now academies and they control their own admissions policy. It's causing some issues at our local schools, successful and over subscribed, when people are trying to appeal and the overturn rate is low (appeals now done in house by the school, same as the admission)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What happened to going to the nearest school? Or are parents putting faith in the Ofsted reports that schools don’t like now - but still use the one word assessments to attract pupils?
Massive increase in house building, negligible increase in infrastructure. In my town, good schools, lots of new housing, bigger population, schools are the same size. Villages that previously fed into these schools are now outside the guaranteed catchment and so kids from there are having to travel further away.

What you say is also correct. A succesful school gets more applicants, pressure on admissions increase.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Where my mate put her kid she has gone for on her way to work rather than the one round corner so she can drop her at breakfast club then go office

The Thurrock people work in that school so will bring the kid to school

Us? We have to apply for 6 schools . The nearest 2 were the same distance (0.2 miles) in different directions

The others were 0.5 miles except number 6 that was next to my mum's

My kids school gets a lot of applications because it's near the station so parents can drop their kids then go to work

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Getting the ”you’re not my dad, you can’t tell me what to do” line from she who must be obeyed 15 year old daughter. I’ve been expecting it for a couple of years but it’s still a kick in the teeth to hear it

Ask her a question(s). Who helps put food on the table, keep a roof over your head and operates a taxi service? Do I ever complain, or do I love doing it for you?