Random Irritations

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Stupid warning lights coming on my stupid car again 🤬. It's defeated my regular garage so it's booked into an auto electrician on Tuesday.

The fun part, apart from the possible size of the bill, is that I'm away in the Borders playing golf this weekend in this car. It seems to reset itself if I stop and turn the engine off but I'm not sure how often it will do that until it stops resetting. It had better not mess with the golf, that would make it even stupider 😡

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Waiting for my wine society delivery. was supposed to come Tuesday, got an email saying it had arrived at the depot at 12.45 on Tuesday, said the same yesterday, still not out for delivery, they better get here by tonight or i'll have nothing to drink with dinner
That's poor planning Patrick. I'd expected better of you.;)

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The bloke who just beats you to the counter in the petrol station who then proceeds to pay his fuel on his credit card, pays cash for a car wash ticket and then decides it would be a good idea to get a car wash loyalty card and then, with one of the notes he receives as change for his car wash ticket, pays separately for a chocolate bar.
Agree. They need to be set adrift in the same raft that Homer is organising for some certain Sky Golf commentators.

Some people just have no consideration for others. If a garage is selling other stuff such as coffee, sandwiches etc there should be a till specifically for those items and a fuel only till. Sadly it will never happen.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
I was in the bank last week, a simple deposit but quiet an amount so wanted to do it face to face, the que was out of the door, as I got nearer the front I noticed there was a total of 2 tills and looking around noticed 4 side offices all with people working dealing with people.
As I got within hearing distance the people at the tills were dealing with people who had problems or wanted to close accounts, when I finally got served it took a couple of minutes for the teller to count the money and process the deposit after half an hours wait,
I did mention that in my opinion the tills should be kept clear for banking transactions an the offices to deal with other things, it didn't go down too well.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s a tough call. Yes, you were speeding. But what you describe is a police officer desperate for a few tickets. Not one who is interested in casualty reduction.

That’s not something I ever did during my service, and I would not have condoned any of my officers acting in that way when I was a supervisor.

I was driving down the M74 near Gretna yesterday evening, I noticed on the north bound carriageway a police car parked up behind a grass embankment in such a way it was impossible to see from that side of the motorway. Then I saw the policeman hidden away with his speed camera snapping cars going by. Instant thought, what a sneaky **** but then I wasn’t sure how he could catch people, it’s not like he could jump in his car and chase after them lol.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I was driving down the M74 near Gretna yesterday evening, I noticed on the north bound carriageway a police car parked up behind a grass embankment in such a way it was impossible to see from that side of the motorway. Then I saw the policeman hidden away with his speed camera snapping cars going by. Instant thought, what a sneaky **** but then I wasn’t sure how he could catch people, it’s not like he could jump in his car and chase after them lol.

Are you sure this was a police car? I see it almost daily when travelling round the UK using Google Maps as my guide. When speed camera “traps” are reported, I generally reach the location only to see National Highways Traffic Officers parked on police observation points.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

These new cameras they have are amazing. They can catch you from up to a mile away I believe? When I got caught for My awareness cause the officer had a clear photo of the number plate of the car and the laser confirmed the speed

Took ages as it was a loan car but sure enough it arrived

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you sure this was a police car? I see it almost daily when travelling round the UK using Google Maps as my guide. When speed camera “traps” are reported, I generally reach the location only to see National Highways Traffic Officers parked on police observation points.

It looked like a patrol car not one of those 4x4 things the Highways Agency officers drive but I didn’t see the writing on the side as it was parked at a funny angle. But why would the Highways Agency guys have handheld cameras pointed at traffic going past?

Billysboots

Visit site
These new cameras they have are amazing. They can catch you from up to a mile away I believe? When I got caught for My awareness cause the officer had a clear photo of the number plate of the car and the laser confirmed the speed

Took ages as it was a loan car but sure enough it arrived

The technology may be there to record speed from a considerable distance, but that is not how it should be used.

Mobile speed enforcement requires the individual operating it to first form the opinion that a vehicle is exceeding the speed limit PRIOR to then monitoring its actual speed. It’s not just a case of randomly selecting vehicles. And I would argue that sort of opinion is impossible to form unless the initial observation takes place over a matter of a few hundred yards.

That’s how it SHOULD work. Although I suspect the reality is rather more of a relaxed approach, given the very obvious motivation, that being to raise money, not safeguard the public.

Billysboots

Visit site
It looked like a patrol car not one of those 4x4 things the Highways Agency officers drive but I didn’t see the writing on the side as it was parked at a funny angle. But why would the Highways Agency guys have handheld cameras pointed at traffic going past?

They wouldn’t be using speed detection equipment because they have no enforcement powers. It may well have been something else. All I can say is that marked police cars on the motorways of the UK now, especially marked police cars parked on observation ramps, are rarer than rocking horse do-do.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
They wouldn’t be using speed detection equipment because they have no enforcement powers. It may well have been something else. All I can say is that marked police cars on the motorways of the UK now, especially marked police cars parked on observation ramps, are rarer than rocking horse do-do.

Yeah you never see them now. Just to be clear it wasn’t parked on one of the those ramps, it was behind the grass embankment of a small bridge. It was clear to me he was trying to hide from traffic going past.

Billysboots

Visit site
Yeah you never see them now. Just to be clear it wasn’t parked on one of the those ramps, it was behind the grass embankment of a small bridge. It was clear to me he was trying to hide from traffic going past.

In which case, given my experience the other day, almost certainly a sneaky cop!

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sky customer service.
Was on the phone to them this morning for a good hr as my account had been locked for some reason.
Spoke to 4 different people & none of them could speak clear English.
Been without mobile Internet for over 24 hrs despite them saying they've fixed the issues , will be moving

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Trying to remove the moss from my mother-in-law's fairly large tarmac drive using a domestic Karcher pressure washer that frankly wasn't up to the job.

The best analogy I can make is: Painting an entire room with a 1/4" brush while not being able to tell where you've already been.