Random Irritations

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Irritation for today: trying to get an appointment to see a doctor.
No wonder people just rock up to A&E and clog the system up.

Our Docs are in the process of changing the online assessment process so the only way was to phone.
First phone call -- "please spread your phone call throughout the day to avoid long waits" --- you are currently number 17 in the queue
Phone down
2 hours later ... you are currently number 16 in the queue.

Last time I phoned I was number 4 in the queue and it was 20 minute wait.

I gave up and hope the problem will just go away as I wanted an at home visit because I cannot walk or drive. Would have gone to A&E as the problem started at the weekend but as I could not drive that was out of the question.

The online system has worked for years, roll on the 24th April when it is back up again.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Speed cameras

People who slow down when they see a speed camera and they are already doing less than the speed limit (frequent occurrence on one particular single lane section of the A303 in Wilts).

Last edited:

HeftyHacker

Visit site
That’s exactly my point. The sole purpose of speed cameras should be to reduce speed, and therefore collisions. The official line from the police has always been that they are not about raising revenue.

By effectively concealing a safety camera van in amongst a number of road maintenance vehicles I would suggest that the vast majority of drivers didn’t even see it. That cannot be a deployment aimed at encouraging drivers to moderate their speed in such circumstances. It’s all about catching people unawares.

Whilst I absolutely agree that those who flout the law deserve what they get, such tactics are downright sneaky. It’s akin to a uniform cop not wearing a high viz and leaping out from behind a bush with a speed gun.

I actually got done near me about 10 years ago by a copper that had parked his car behind a wall about 4 foot high and was stood behind the wall with his speed gun pointing over the top of it.

I only knew about it when he came out from behind the wall as I was about 50 yards away waving his arms and telling me to pull over.

At the time I thought fair cop (pun intended), I was speeding so I've got to hold my hands up but reading your input to this thread I realise now it was a pretty underhand tactic if the intention is really to act as a deterrent.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I actually got done near me about 10 years ago by a copper that had parked his car behind a wall about 4 foot high and was stood behind the wall with his speed gun pointing over the top of it.

I only knew about it when he came out from behind the wall as I was about 50 yards away waving his arms and telling me to pull over.

At the time I thought fair cop (pun intended), I was speeding so I've got to hold my hands up but reading your input to this thread I realise now it was a pretty underhand tactic if the intention is really to act as a deterrent.

It’s a tough call. Yes, you were speeding. But what you describe is a police officer desperate for a few tickets. Not one who is interested in casualty reduction.

That’s not something I ever did during my service, and I would not have condoned any of my officers acting in that way when I was a supervisor.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
A Motorway here is a cross between a UK motorway and dual carriageway

Handheld speed camera set up in the break in the central reservation (where emergency and maintenance vehicles can turn)
Traffic speed set at 110kmph and camera set up early evening into a setting sun, when they catch one they stand out into the live ‘fast’ lane to flag it down pulling it into the space in the break in central reservation

So dangerous

Needs a proper fixed camera

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Performers (comedians and bands) that seem to forget that East Anglia exists. Just seen an announcement for a UK tour and the closest gigs are Hull, Nottingham, Oxford or London. It almost as though they put the point of a compass on Norwich and draw a 90 mile radius circle round it then say "We're not performing anywhere inside that circle".

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Road works going on and sign put up “narrow lane, no overtaking cycles”
Vehicles obey very much in general, but why don’t cycles not overtake the vehicles in those narrow lanes, and we aren’t talking stationary vehicles either?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've called 6 dentists this morning and not one of them is taking patients on, and the boy is complaining of a sore tooth. Genuinely no idea what I need to do.
Find out where your nearest dental hospital is. They should have a walk in clinic (obviously check first) You probably can't book, it will be a turn up and wait your turn job.

Mandofred

Visit site
When we moved back to the UK in 2015 we tried to go the NHS dentist route. We found one, but the care was just crap. We just went private, I think we are paying about £65 a month to cover both of us. Cleaning twice a year. Most work that needs to be done is covered...things like fillings.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
When we moved back to the UK in 2015 we tried to go the NHS dentist route. We found one, but the care was just crap. We just went private, I think we are paying about £65 a month to cover both of us. Cleaning twice a year. Most work that needs to be done is covered...things like fillings.

£65 a month, £750 a year, would get you a couple of trips to Spain and cover a couple of nights in a hotel. Pick a decent village dentist, not the plush ones near the Brit enclaves, and the dental work is cheap. Tie it in with a holiday,and you’re quids in.

I had an x-Ray, 3 teeth out, stitches and a second visit for €95 a couple of years back.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
£65 a month, £750 a year, would get you a couple of trips to Spain and cover a couple of nights in a hotel. Pick a decent village dentist, not the plush ones near the Brit enclaves, and the dental work is cheap. Tie it in with a holiday,and you’re quids in.

I had an x-Ray, 3 teeth out, stitches and a second visit for €95 a couple of years back.

I pay £60 a month for all us to be covered for £1000 dentist or glasses. Considering me and the wife both wear glasses we just get glasses every other year

These trips always get me thinking but I'm too worried of it going wrong. Even tho it wouldn't!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I pay £60 a month for all us to be covered for £1000 dentist or glasses. Considering me and the wife both wear glasses we just get glasses every other year

These trips always get me thinking but I'm too worried of it going wrong. Even tho it wouldn't!

I dare say there’s not much difference in the quality of the work, either way. And being a real scaredy cat I’m well impressed with what I’ve had done.

That said, I’d be very wary of travelling for major work, e.g. implants.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Another awful story in the news today of a little child being murdered by the parent - makes awful & difficult reading imagining what the poor little lad went through in his short life.
We weren't able to have any children due to my wife's chronic illness and the Dr couldn't recommend us if we went down the adoption route for the same reason, so it breaks my heart to see that although there are potentially good parents out there who can't ever have a family of their own, there are utter scum who must delight in torturing their own children/step children and who likely doesn't even want them.
Hanging is too good for these type of people.
I appreciate that this is probably too strong for the random irritations thread.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Another awful story in the news today of a little child being murdered by the parent - makes awful & difficult reading imagining what the poor little lad went through in his short life.
We weren't able to have any children due to my wife's chronic illness and the Dr couldn't recommend us if we went down the adoption route for the same reason, so it breaks my heart to see that although there are potentially good parents out there who can't ever have a family of their own, there are utter scum who must delight in torturing their own children/step children and who likely doesn't even want them.
Hanging is too good for these type of people.
I appreciate that this is probably too strong for the random irritations thread.

These stories are absolutely heart breaking, and no doubt just the tip of the ice berg in terms abuse some young children endure. It’s also a difficult subject in terms of the potential politics around the funding for the support services. Sadly, it’s all too often too late in a numbers of cases… I vent at the TV, which achieves nothing.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Cleaning twice a year........No wonder you need a dentist.........

Ill get my coat ....again :)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
No water.

We usually lose water about every 4-6 weeks. It rarely extends beyond 4 hours - think it’s only happened about twice in 6 years. Today is that second time. It went off around 9pm last night and it’s now past 4pm.

Knowing that it goes off occasionally we have about 6x 8 litre plastic containers with water in for flushing the toilet & washing. But there’s a world of a difference between a good shower and using the sink. We bowled this morning and both are in need of a shower.

Then there’s a couple more for drinking water and cooking.

You don’t realise how much you take for granted the ability to turn on a tap or flush the loo in the U.K.

Enough! We need water!!

The water came back on yesterday evening but by the time I went for a shower it was back off. And it was still off at 8am this morning. We received notification from Galasa, the water company, that is was going back on at 1:30pm… someone’s watch must be broken as it’s still not on, 7:55pm.

I don’t even like being upwind of me. Looks like it’s be an 8 litre container as a shower before bed.