Random Irritations

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Employer is being a bit of a t1t at the minute. I have a few dentist appointments booked over the next couple of months and suddenly they want me to cancel/move some of them as they didn’t plan their calendar correctly 😔

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
How Talk Sport try and promote Simon Jordan as some sort of cross between Jeremy Paxman and William Shakespeare. He is neither that good an interviewer not anywhere near as erudite or knowledgeable as they like to pretend or he likes to think he is.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Trying to get through to HMRC to pay them some money. At the start of the call they said it would be a 30 minute wait. It's now been 48 minutes, no idea how much longer it will be. Why can't they give you an updated estimate when you are sitting in the queue?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Trying to get through to HMRC to pay them some money. At the start of the call they said it would be a 30 minute wait. It's now been 48 minutes, no idea how much longer it will be. Why can't they give you an updated estimate when you are sitting in the queue?

You should try getting through to them when they owe you money!

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Finally got through after 70 minutes.

I'm trying to pay them just over 4k. Would you believe they can't take the payment over the phone?

So instead they give me sort code, bank account, account name and an 18 digit reference to quote when I make the payment. I ask them to email me the details to make sure I've written them down correctly, they can't "because of data protection". Instead they will send the details in a letter which should take 7-10 working days to arrive. Oh, and they also said the payment will take up to 8 weeks to show up on my account.

What century are these people living in?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It’s probably no help but if you’re registered for self assessment it’s ludicrously easy to send them money online.

This was additional voluntary NI contributions, according to the person I spoke to, the only options for paying them were online banking or by cheque, but to do either, you need to phone up first and get the bank details and the 18 digit reference number (which is not your UTR). That's what took over an hour on the phone.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Currys.

I would like to buy this item. Fine, we do not hold stock and so you need to buy it on our website and collect from the store. OK, I can do that.

3 Weeks later

This item has developed a fault, I would like a replacement. But you bought it online sir and because it is not a store purchase you will need to contact the online helpdesk, arrange and DPD pickup and they will arrange it from there. But you told me in store to order online as you do not hold stock, I had to collect it from the store and yet I cannot return it to the store. No, you purchased online and so you have to deal with them. So, you are basically just a high street front for your website. Pretty much.

OK, as I am here, can I call from here, leave the item here and have the DPD pick up from here as I am not in to arrange that. Waits 45 minutes while manger looks into it. OK, that is fine, we can arrange that, DPD are picking it up in the morning.

Call from Currys on Monday morning telling me I was not there for my pick up. I went through everything that had happened and apparrrenty there was nobody in the store at 3.30 on a Friday to hand it over. Pick up re-arranged, next available date a week later.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Currys.

I would like to buy this item. Fine, we do not hold stock and so you need to buy it on our website and collect from the store. OK, I can do that.

3 Weeks later

This item has developed a fault, I would like a replacement. But you bought it online sir and because it is not a store purchase you will need to contact the online helpdesk, arrange and DPD pickup and they will arrange it from there. But you told me in store to order online as you do not hold stock, I had to collect it from the store and yet I cannot return it to the store. No, you purchased online and so you have to deal with them. So, you are basically just a high street front for your website. Pretty much.

OK, as I am here, can I call from here, leave the item here and have the DPD pick up from here as I am not in to arrange that. Waits 45 minutes while manger looks into it. OK, that is fine, we can arrange that, DPD are picking it up in the morning.

Call from Currys on Monday morning telling me I was not there for my pick up. I went through everything that had happened and apparrrenty there was nobody in the store at 3.30 on a Friday to hand it over. Pick up re-arranged, next available date a week later.
You could have stopped at the first word Greg......what a shower....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
HR Lady: Can you update your CV for a potential role?
Me: I've not had much time, is it ok if I just update the project history and duties on the internal database (it's quicker)
HR Lady: Yes that's fine.
*time passes*
Me: I've updated my CV on the internal database.
HR Lady: Have you got a separate Word version I can use?
Me: :mad:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A lady with P plates, doing 55 in The 3rd lane of a 4 lane stretch of M25. Lane 1 is going the same speed and has space, lanes 2 and 4 going faster than her and with space. What on earth was her instructor teaching her??

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
A lady with P plates, doing 55 in The 3rd lane of a 4 lane stretch of M25. Lane 1 is going the same speed and has space, lanes 2 and 4 going faster than her and with space. What on earth was her instructor teaching her??

The big problem is that, whilst some instructors offer motorway lessons to those who have passed their tests, the take up is virtually nil. As a consequence most drivers have never had a motorway lesson.

The standard of motorway driving in this country, lane discipline especially, is abysmal.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The big problem is that, whilst some instructors offer motorway lessons to those who have passed their tests, the take up is virtually nil. As a consequence most drivers have never had a motorway lesson.

The standard of motorway driving in this country, lane discipline especially, is abysmal.
I thought fast road driving was compulsary now? I know my instructor took me a few times on multi lane A roads, to get me to understand driving faster than 30 and also teach me to overtake correctly.
Sadly, she looked like an accident waiting to happen.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Why wait until they have passed their test. Do it before like plenty do my way

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I thought fast road driving was compulsary now? I know my instructor took me a few times on multi lane A roads, to get me to understand driving faster than 30 and also teach me to overtake correctly.
Sadly, she looked like an accident waiting to happen.
Not compulsory but a good idea to include it in the training if possible
Even dual carriageway driving isn't really enough to prepare them for 3, 4 or even 5 lane motorways
And many areas are too far from motorways to make it a viable lesson...I'm half an hour from a motorway in every direction so there would be a need for a 2 hour lesson which the pupil may not be able to afford. They may also have a preference for just doing what will get them through their test.
PassPlus is the after test training which includes motorways.
Up to, about , 10 years ago many insurance companies gave a decent discount if the pupil had done this training - it was an easy sell.
Pay me £150 and you'll get 500 off your premium
Nowadays hardly any companies give a discount so there's no incentive to do it.
So few do it.
DVSA have been "revamping" PassPlus for the last 12+ years and, true to form, bugger all has happened.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not compulsory but a good idea to include it in the training if possible
Even dual carriageway driving isn't really enough to prepare them for 3, 4 or even 5 lane motorways
And many areas are too far from motorways to make it a viable lesson...I'm half an hour from a motorway in every direction so there would be a need for a 2 hour lesson which the pupil may not be able to afford. They may also have a preference for just doing what will get them through their test.
PassPlus is the after test training which includes motorways.
Up to, about , 10 years ago many insurance companies gave a decent discount if the pupil had done this training - it was an easy sell.
Pay me £150 and you'll get 500 off your premium
Nowadays hardly any companies give a discount so there's no incentive to do it.
So few do it.
DVSA have been "revamping" PassPlus for the last 12+ years and, true to form, bugger all has happened.
Fair enough, I obviously misunderstood the requirements.
I know when both my daughters first passed, the first thing I did was make then take me out onto a motorway, and make sure they understood lane discipline and use. It also highlights having your mirrors set correctly.