Random Irritations

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
So, I drove to London yesterday to avoid any problems with trains and underground. I was staggered by the volume of cyclists, scooters, motor bikes and the like, but, I was more surprised at the risks that I saw taken where these travellers weaved in and out of the cars, buses, lorries etc and really risked serious injury. I saw pedestrians just stroll across the road long after the lights stop them, and cyclists and motor bikers were pulling away when car couldn't move, there were a number of near misses. There were also no stopping at traffic lights for cyclists it seems!

Finally, on the way home I was driving carefully on the South Circular when a boy racer, Audi driver, carved me up at speed but as he pulled in front of me it was right on a zebra crossing where someone had just stepped on it . Mr Audi rammed his brakes on and screeched to a halt and I probably missed ramming him by 6 inches. Oh what fun!

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So, I drove to London yesterday to avoid any problems with trains and underground. I was staggered by the volume of cyclists, scooters, motor bikes and the like, but, I was more surprised at the risks that I saw taken where these travellers weaved in and out of the cars, buses, lorries etc and really risked serious injury. I saw pedestrians just stroll across the road long after the lights stop them, and cyclists and motor bikers were pulling away when car couldn't move, there were a number of near misses. There were also no stopping at traffic lights for cyclists it seems!

Finally, on the way home I was driving carefully on the South Circular when a boy racer, Audi driver, carved me up at speed but as he pulled in front of me it was right on a zebra crossing where someone had just stepped on it . Mr Audi rammed his brakes on and screeched to a halt and I probably missed ramming him by 6 inches. Oh what fun!

Welcome to London..

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome to London..
You beat me to it. Welcome to normal life Chris.

Yesterday was wanting cross road, just round corner from my street. An ordinary residential street, but which in which traffic from the left backs up in rush hour. I look right, then left (although not much point as traffic from left is stationary), then look right again. Nothing, so step out - and am very nearly taken out by car speeding from the left, down the outside of the traffic queue, on wrong side of road, and wrong side of traffic bollard/pedestrian refuge to which I was heading. He cut in at the front of the queue, and then p1ssed off somewhere

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Nope, I get pushed to do something (rather than asked nicely) then there is a strong chance that it will lost its place in the queue and move to the back of the line.
Remember those squash ladder things? The vertical strip with slots that you put tags in to show where everyone is in the table?
I had one of those by my desk, with my tasks on the tags in the order they were to be done.
If my manager asked for something else to be done, all they had to do was write it on a new tag and place it on the ladder where they felt it needed to go.
Made them think about relative priorities, rather than assuming that their most recent idea automatically became the most urgent.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
An email sent with high importance is a sure way for it to be binned.

I was sent an email from an agency where the woman writing the email had put that she was "back in the office after her holibobs" and wanting some information from me. I deleted it without replying. If you use the word holibobs in a professional email then you don't deserve a reply.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Is it just me that, when someone asks me to do something I was about to do anyway, then delays doing said thing so that it doesn't look like I'm just doing it because they asked me to? :LOL:

No, not just you.

Nope, I get pushed to do something (rather than asked nicely) then there is a strong chance that it will lost its place in the queue and move to the back of the line.

More than a strong chance in my case, particularly if it falls in the 'Lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on mine' category

"When do you think you'll be doing it?"

"It certainly won't be while I'm on the phone..."

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You beat me to it. Welcome to normal life Chris.

Yesterday was wanting cross road, just round corner from my street. An ordinary residential street, but which in which traffic from the left backs up in rush hour. I look right, then left (although not much point as traffic from left is stationary), then look right again. Nothing, so step out - and am very nearly taken out by car speeding from the left, down the outside of the traffic queue, on wrong side of road, and wrong side of traffic bollard/pedestrian refuge to which I was heading. He cut in at the front of the queue, and then p1ssed off somewhere
Sadly, people just don't give a crap about other people due to self importance - we had a temporary blip during lockdown 1 & 2 when people were being courteous to each other but since then, back to normality.
Glad you were lucky though (y)