Random Irritations

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think Oliver has always had an inflated ego and so it has been interesting to see him come down a notch or two with his various crusades and subsequent controversies as well as a number of failed business projects. Not like he's short of a million or two. However given how woke the world has become and the flak his dish names have had according to the article it does seem to make some sense to try and protect himself.

That said I still think he's an idiot who has had his time

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My Dyson v6 - oh how I have moaned about it as after a couple of years use, the battery seemed unable to hold more than 10seconds of life. And then last week - out of the blue and for no apparent reason, the battery is holding as much charge as I need it to...and more...

I thought it might be a one-off - or that I was imagining things - but no...used it many times since and and just used it again - and it's working just grand.

And I have no idea why - what's happened - or what I have done differently. And that is very irritating and why I post about it on this thread rather than on Things that Gladden the Heart one - because if it returns to it's useless ways I have no idea what to do to fix it.

Meanwhile I give thanks for some respite from my irritation with my v6. Still think Dysons are over-hyped; not worth the money, and unlikely to buy another.
Just buy a new battery for £20 - works perfectly after that (well mine did)

RichA

Visit site
I have no particular interest in Jamie Oliver anymore, but he did inspire many people (including me) to think a bit more about what they cooked and what they fed their kids a few years ago. Not necessarily a bad thing.
Most of the Sunday Times article is behind a paywall, but it looks like a run of the mill Sunday supplement interview which the other publications' websites have snipped one small part of to use as clickbait for their wokesmellers persuivant.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Disney are set to remake Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, however there are calls to abandon the term dwarfs.

?
Though if some wee folks have an issue with the word 'dwarf' due to it having, for them, very negative historical connotations and association with such as 'absurdity'; 'comical character'; 'curiosity' (I give you Queen Victoria's favourite General Tom Thumb) - 'quaint little creatures' and so on - I have no idea why they could be a little sensitive and ask for Disney to consider a change - especially as the film will be aimed at a new young audience. Opportunity perhaps. My own initial reaction was a rather resistant 'well that's a pity...really - is that necessary?' But after a little bit of thought my resistance softened.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Disney are set to remake Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, however there are calls to abandon the term dwarfs.

?
I'll bite a little, accepting it's an irritation but this is an interesting subject. I saw what Pete Dinklage said about the remake. His main complaint was the caricature nature of the 7 dwarves in the film, living in caves, reinforcing stereotypes, funny little people etc. I get this. He will have had a lifetime of comments, jibes etc. He is currently promoting his lead role in Cyrano, height finally no longer being an issue, and then he gets asked about the remake.

I can understand his frustration, whilst noting that I'm lucky enough never have had to walk in his shoes.

Perhaps it is one to amend or leave to history?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Landscape artist of the year on Sky

Apart from the judges being so far up their own posteriors, the paintings they choose week on week are just awful. (Except this weeks winner)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
HP Ink emailing me to tell me how much of a valued customer I am before quietly adding in that the price goes up 50% at the end of next month. Yep that makes me valued lol

D

Deleted member 25172

Sergio Garcia. Again on the topic of teeing it up in Saudi Arabia. He wants to “achieve things for his family”. I.e., another one who’s just trying to “make a living for himself and family”.

53 million dollars on the PGA Tour and 30 million euros on the European Tour in prize money throughout his career.

It’s bloody sickening.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

?
There a PC issues with virtually any remake of 'old classic Fairy Tales'. There's even something of an industry satirising the efforts of the PC obsessed with rewriting them! One example has 'seven giants', though the star is still female, which means it's not totally PC!
And there's an amusing version of Little Red Riding Hood that concludes with both LRRH and the Wolf berating the would be 'rescuer'!

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll bite a little, accepting it's an irritation but this is an interesting subject. I saw what Pete Dinklage said about the remake. His main complaint was the caricature nature of the 7 dwarves in the film, living in caves, reinforcing stereotypes, funny little people etc. I get this. He will have had a lifetime of comments, jibes etc. He is currently promoting his lead role in Cyrano, height finally no longer being an issue, and then he gets asked about the remake.

I can understand his frustration, whilst noting that I'm lucky enough never have had to walk in his shoes.

Perhaps it is one to amend or leave to history?
Hey wee man, can Snow White still be white ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
DVSA.....again.
Mandatory mask wearing ceased at midnight.
Have we, as driving instructors, had any guidance as to whether we, and our pupils, have to continue with masks for lessons and tests..?
Well, that's a big fat NO.......
Knowing DVSA we will have to continue with mask ( no problem here) but people are going to turn up for tests today thinking they don't have to wear one..and if the examiner believes the car has been used for a lesson without masks being used then that test will get cancelled.
Not asking for much really...they've only had a week to think about it...they make my life a misery...
It's been the same since Lockdown 1 ..we get infkr 2 or 3 days after the fact......
Peasants :mad::poop: