Random Irritations

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The standard of parking at the Kings golf club Inverness. Tbh some of these guys would have done a better job if they had handbrake turned into some of the spaces. Was room for ay least 10 more cars if people showed a bit more consideration.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Had a run-in with some bicyclists today..
Going along a rural road that undulates a bit.
Bikes pick up speed going down, slow down going up.
Looked like a cycling club and they were stretched out out for at least a 1/4 mile, maybe more, so room for me to move out and move in a few times.
Holding behind a group of 4 or 5 as we went up hill onto a plateau
Overtook them on the flat and then held behind another group on the flat as there were more bikes coming the other way.
Holding station....all of a sudden the bunch I'd passed a minute ago were thundering past me - one of them actually clipped my door mirror.
And when I got past them all I got given the finger and various other gestures...it took a lot of self-discipline to not give anything back.
And I was being perfectly correct, safe and courteous to them all the time..
Some groups don't help their kind.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
?

Cyclists will be told to ride in the centre of the lane to make themselves more visible to motorists under far-reaching changes to the rules of the road intended to improve safety and “unleash our nation of cyclists”.

The updated Highway Code, which takes effect on Saturday, will also encourage cyclists to ride two abreast and require motorists to leave a minimum of 1.5 metres (nearly 5ft) when overtaking.

Even if there are adjoining cycle lanes and tracks, cyclists will not be obliged to use them.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
?

Cyclists will be told to ride in the centre of the lane to make themselves more visible to motorists under far-reaching changes to the rules of the road intended to improve safety and “unleash our nation of cyclists”.

The updated Highway Code, which takes effect on Saturday, will also encourage cyclists to ride two abreast and require motorists to leave a minimum of 1.5 metres (nearly 5ft) when overtaking.

Even if there are adjoining cycle lanes and tracks, cyclists will not be obliged to use them.
This is going to lead to a number of encounters, gestures and general grumpiness. Personally I find cyclists in hi-vis gear to be very visible, no need to slow up traffic by cycling in the middle of the road.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm going to run a book on how long it takes me to get rear-ended(ooh er missus) at a junction when one of the kids waits to let a pedestrian cross while we're turning left.
It's suggested that only 1 in 3 drivers are aware of the rules changing and less than that understand them..
The rollout of info from the Government and assorted agencies has been nothing short of a load of bollocks....

It's going to be carnage..............and people will die.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Nothing is new. When I was learning to drive nearly 50 years ago, my instructor told me to give cyclists 5ft, because that's the width of a cyclist on their side ?
(And he also said to leave 3ft passing parked cars, because that's the width or an open door)

Brads

Visit site
Ahem
For
Folk that do the whole cyclist visibility thing
Hi viz is crap
Contrast is what counts, which is why I wear black most of the time