Random Irritations

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But you can make your own Yorkshire puds with some flour, egg, milk and some seasoning in 20 minutes, just goes in with the spuds 20 minutes before serving time ?

Our oven isn't big enough. Potatoes and parsnips on one shelf, pigs in blankets and stuffing on the second shelf and cauliflower and broccoli cheese in the bottom. Have to wait until I'm taking stuff out to be able to chuck in the yorkshires for three or four minutes. By the time everything is on the plate they're ready.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Our oven isn't big enough. Potatoes and parsnips on one shelf, pigs in blankets and stuffing on the second shelf and cauliflower and broccoli cheese in the bottom. Have to wait until I'm taking stuff out to be able to chuck in the yorkshires for three or four minutes. By the time everything is on the plate they're ready.

You've been on 'Mums Net' again haven't you. :whistle:;)

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Who has Yorkshire puddings with Christmas dinner? And who eats pre made Yorkshire puddings at all? They are properly grim.

They are so easy to make
4 Eggs
150g plain flour
250ml whole milk
Salt
White pepper

Make sure the oil and baking tins are properly hot before adding mixture.
20/25 mins at 230*c

Something being out of stock does not indicate the idiots have been panic buying.

Always had Yorkshire’s on any roast/Sunday/Christmas dinner. Always had pigs in blankets year round as well.

Basically Christmas dinner to me is a Sunday dinner with Turkey.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Who has Yorkshire puddings with Christmas dinner? And who eats pre made Yorkshire puddings at all? They are properly grim.

They are so easy to make
4 Eggs
150g plain flour
250ml whole milk
Salt
White pepper

Make sure the oil and baking tins are properly hot before adding mixture.
20/25 mins at 230*c

Something being out of stock does not indicate the idiots have been panic buying.

I'll make it even easier.

1 x Protein drink shaker bottle.

3 eggs (see how much volume this is, will be approx 125ml)
Same volume of plain flour (approx 125g)
Same volume of milk (approx 125ml)

Do the above by eye, measuring jugs and scales are not required!! REST the batter for 10+ minutes in the fridge

Do NOT salt it, shake away! then pour into HOT pudding tray (with hot oil, lard, dripping, any fat that takes a high temp)

When almost cooked, take them out (quickly) turn them over and put back in the oven for 2 minutes to cook the bottoms! Then salt them if you want to.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Make them the day before.... Just like aunt Bessie does...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Or are we being told these things in order to try to get us to buy more of a particular item? Turkey suppliers saying there is going to be a shortage of turkeys this Xmas? Toy suppliers saying there is going to be a shortage of toys this Xmas? It just all leads back in to idiots panic buying and creating a shortage. I cooked a roast dinner on Tuesday and there weren't any Tesco individual Yorkshire puddings in the freezer section. I'm assuming that's because there are too many morons in this country that are already stocking up for Xmas.
All of which may be true but we cannot blame the media for what you consider to be the idiotic decision making and actions of much of the British public. The media have a responsibility to report to us what we need to know to make informed decisions. As it happens I cannot go along with the idea of there being a moronic sector of the population, they are only acting in what they perceive to be their own best interests - even when their own grasp of the actual facts may be somewhat limited.

Yes…I too find it very irritating…but as an individual I cannot change people, places or things. Acceptance can often be very difficult, but accept I must.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like Yorkshire puds as much as the next man, I'd happily have them with Christmas dinner, but I'm sure when I was young my parents told me you should only really have Yorkshire puds with roast beef. Not sure if I've misremembered that. Or maybe it was a falsehood on the same lines as "when the music is playing that means he's run out of ice cream".

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I like Yorkshire puds as much as the next man, I'd happily have them with Christmas dinner, but I'm sure when I was young my parents told me you should only really have Yorkshire puds with roast beef. Not sure if I've misremembered that. Or maybe it was a falsehood on the same lines as "when the music is playing that means he's run out of ice cream".
They were traditionally had with roast beef, if you eat out on a Sunday in a pub or restaurant I would be surprised if they were served with anything but. However, at home, do what you like. Be wild, be edgy, have them when you want o_O

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
From applause to league tables and name and shame…what on earth are we doing…?

But apparently that is what ‘the people’ want, and it is that, which I find very irritating, and more than that, I find it staggering, disheartening and very depressing - that we - the people - want this. But so we are led to believe. What on earth has become of us.?

Last edited:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They were traditionally had with roast beef, if you eat out on a Sunday in a pub or restaurant I would be surprised if they were served with anything but. However, at home, do what you like. Be wild, be edgy, have them when you want o_O

My grandfather always served them as a starter. Yorkshire pudding with gravy and then roast beef and veg for main course.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My grandfather always served them as a starter. Yorkshire pudding with gravy and then roast beef and veg for main course.
There are also lots of pubs that serve a stew or similar inside a giant version. That will always be adaptions but as a general rule it was yorkshires with roast beef.

Did he serve anything else with them other than gravy or was it just that combo? Was it just him or was it something that happened in his local area? I like a quirk (y)

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

That's how we were served them as kids by my grandma. Loaf tin sized, with onion gravy.

The traditional way of cooking them is with rendered beef fat. Cook the beef on the rack and let the fat drip into a tray underneath. Then use that fat for Yorkshire puddings.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There are also lots of pubs that serve a stew or similar inside a giant version. That will always be adaptions but as a general rule it was yorkshires with roast beef.

Did he serve anything else with them other than gravy or was it just that combo? Was it just him or was it something that happened in his local area? I like a quirk (y)
My good ladies auntie has Yorkshires with golden syrup - Is that a good enough quirk for you? ;)
PS - My wife is form Yorkshire and she would be horrified by some of the recipe suggestions and non yorkies giving advice!!!

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
My good ladies auntie has Yorkshires with golden syrup - Is that a good enough quirk for you? ;)
PS - My wife is form Yorkshire and she would be horrified by some of the recipe suggestions and non yorkies giving advice!!!
We always have a few left over that get eaten with some golden syrup. Sometimes with custard too.

My favourite is maple syrup and peanut butter.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This is how it used to be, I think. It's a similar tradition to serving pasta/polenta before the main dish in Italy - fill up on cheap carbs because protein was rare and expensive .

RichA

Visit site
My grandfather, a single father and proper Yorkshireman, made the best Yorkshire puds and I still use his method.
A thinner batter than you'd expect, made first thing in the morning and left in the larder/fridge till lunchtime.
Using the tray with little wells you'd use for jam tarts. Scorching hot oven, barely in for 10 minutes. Small, thin and crispy; nothing like the 4 inch cylinders that seem to be the norm.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I do love a curry served in an edible balti dish.

tbh I'm struggling to think of a meal that isn't improved with some yorkshires.