Random Irritations

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
What I suspect he's referring to is the fact that in this country we struggle to predict the type of weather we are going to get and cannot normally plan accordingly. I spent some time in Canada as a kid as I have relatives there. They used to put snow chains on the cars on a specific weekend. Almost invariably, the snow would hit within days. We have virtually zero chance of emulating this. In America, probably due to the land mass, they can be very accurate with weather predictions. As a small Island, our weather is incredibly variable. We therefore get relative "extremes" of weather - Torrential rain when mild sun was predicted 24hrs earlier.
Well yes, as a general rule the UK's weather is less predictable.
(But we're not unique. My wife has a friend who lives in Alberta, and a few years ago she told us that one day it was -20 celcius with snow on the ground and the next day it was +25).

But the basic point is that the UK's weather is never THAT extreme.
When we have torrential rain, we get some unpleasant flooding and a bit of damage. Other countries get entire infrastructures destroyed.
When it gets hot in the UK, things are a bit uncomfortable. Other countries have people dying by the thousand.
If you want to define UK weather as "extreme", then you'd have to describe the stuff they get in some other places as "apocalyptic".

It's the very fact that the UK's weather is never that bad which means it's not cost-effective to invest in the means of coping on those rare occasions when is does get OTT.
There's no point in spending the sort of money required to have systems and equipment to deal with stuff that only happens once in a blue moon.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What I suspect he's referring to is the fact that in this country we struggle to predict the type of weather we are going to get and cannot normally plan accordingly. I spent some time in Canada as a kid as I have relatives there. They used to put snow chains on the cars on a specific weekend. Almost invariably, the snow would hit within days. We have virtually zero chance of emulating this. In America, probably due to the land mass, they can be very accurate with weather predictions. As a small Island, our weather is incredibly variable. We therefore get relative "extremes" of weather - Torrential rain when mild sun was predicted 24hrs earlier.

Of course I could be wrong, but it does seem to me that you're discussing the same thing and arguing over terminology....
You hit on the correct word that I failed to use, unpredictable. We have unpredictable weather, not extreme.

Anyway, I think we've done this to death now so I'll leave it alone.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Imagine you are living in a block with a secure car park. In the middle of the night a neighbour hears an angle grinder in the car park, and rather than calling 999 they post in the clowned FB group for the complex about the noise.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My neighbour as a brand new Tesla & his rear plate is really wonky,winds me up every time I see it.
Why doesnt it bother him??! ?
How about the Land Rover that has the rear plates over on the left side rather than centrally? There is one on my estate that I see every day and it goes through me each time. How did that get approved? ?

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How about the Land Rover that has the rear plates over on the left side rather than centrally? There is one on my estate that I see every day and it goes through me each time. How did that get approved? ?
JLR are controlled by design, they make the jelly mould and the engineers have to pop everything in .. it hurts quality massively. I have never known an industry led by the ignorant but this one is .. so tell your kids to sit and concentrate on their doodling and they to can become leading lights in engineering and manufacturing ?‍♂️

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Trying to get a tin of Ronseal Radiator enamel clear gloss. Pretty sure it has been discontinued by Ronseal, but Homebase have some in their stores. Well the Staines branch has it, 25 tins, but nothing more local. Nice 60 mile drive there and back.:(

and no I don't want radiator paint. I have already painted radiators in same emulsion as on the walls, just need the clear gloss to seal them off.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Trying to get a tin of Ronseal Radiator enamel clear gloss. Pretty sure it has been discontinued by Ronseal, but Homebase have some in their stores. Well the Staines branch has it, 25 tins, but nothing more local. Nice 60 mile drive there and back.:(

and no I don't want radiator paint. I have already painted radiators in same emulsion as on the walls, just need the clear gloss to seal them off.

Could you not use a spray coat clear enamel?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

surely you could get a forumite coming to H4H to pick one up from you if their local branch had stock? like one of the 4 tins in Leighton Buzzard for eg ;)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
panic buying of fuel.

just back from my local Sainsburys, the queue was unreal.

The headlines were about a few BP stations which had to shut because they were short of drivers. Now these clowns think there is a national fuel shortage, and they have to buy it while it's still there.