Random Irritations

GuyInLyon

Visit site
Perhaps you don't understand why there are rush hours?

"Rush" hours have occurred because of the fact that many people converged on a limited area, call it a city, in order to "work" for a "standard" work day, say 9am to 5pm.

Covid has proven that working from home, or perhaps satellite offices, is do-able for a substantial percentage of workers, and experiments have shown that the traditional five day work week can easily be replaced, in many instances, by a four day work week or a staggered work week, three-in-the-office/two-at-home being one example, or even by a shared-job concept.

What this means is that the idea of "rush hour" can be considered an antiquated and unnecessary idea, going forward, for many businesses and industries.

You may not be ready for the future but I believe that many people are.

Perhaps you don't understand why there don't have to be rush hours.

:unsure:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
"Rush" hours have occurred because of the fact that many people converged on a limited area, call it a city, in order to "work" for a "standard" work day, say 9am to 5pm.

Covid has proven that working from home, or perhaps satellite offices, is do-able for a substantial percentage of workers, and experiments have shown that the traditional five day work week can easily be replaced, in many instances, by a four day work week or a staggered work week, three-in-the-office/two-at-home being one example, or even by a shared-job concept.

What this means is that the idea of "rush hour" can be considered an antiquated and unnecessary idea, going forward, for many businesses and industries.

None of that is up to the whim of the employee though is it? You can't just decide when to go in on the fly. :LOL:

GuyInLyon

Visit site
None of that is up to the whim of the employee though is it? You can't just decide when to go in on the fly. :LOL:
No. But employers will soon be switching to other systems because (Ta-Da!) it will be cheaper for them to do so.
Why rent 12,000 square meters of expensive office space in a fancy building in The City when you can get by with 2,000?

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Wife has tested positive for Covid. I'm in shock - we had cold symptoms but they don't match the advertised Covid systems at all so I felt sure it would be negative. I've done two home tests that were negative, but have now booked myself in for a drive-through test like she did. No golf for me this weekend, on the hottest weekend of the year as well by the looks of it. :(

Fingers X'd...hope you'll come out negatory and be able to play....BUT if the wife is positive do you not automatically have to isolate? Getting confused with all the different messages from the Scarecrow and Mrs. Stalin

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site

Ok you have put forward a valid case for rush hours to be a thing of the past…….

But it’s still happening, evening rush starts at 3 when the schools start chucking out.

Just because you don’t think it should be a thing, doesn’t mean it isn’t

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fingers X'd...hope you'll come out negatory and be able to play....BUT if the wife is positive do you not automatically have to isolate? Getting confused with all the different messages from the Scarecrow and Mrs. Stalin
Highly likely I'll be positive if she is, but yes, I think if mine's negative I'd still have to isolate regardless. Just thought it would be better to get my own test done as well anyway really.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

Well, you've made a few assumptions about me.
Firstly, I am not part of the rush hour. I already work from home and have done for many years. I travel the UK and Ireland on business but my "Office" is at home. So not only am I ready for the future, I was there before it.
My partner's company has said it doesn't need its employees to go to the office any more. She can work from home. My children are all doing that, and they don't know if they will be called upon to work from home or the office.
But that's me and not others. Our company wants its employees to return to work.
If you're an employer, there are many benefits to having people working together in offices. Better interaction, overhearing conversations, easier cover.
There may be some halcyon day in the future where it's not needed, but the reality of the here and now is that a lot of people will go back to the old ways of working. The rush hour may be reduced in its intensity, but I don't think it's going to happen for some time.
In addition, for many employees, it's healthier because they get human interaction with their colleagues rather than having to work on their own in their own four walls. I know speaking to my office colleagues, they're looking forward to getting back.
And working from home can be very disruptive. With spouses, partners, children, etc. calling on your time. They know you work from home, but they still think it's OK to talk to you about something right when you're in the middle of something important.
Not because I don't want to embrace it, but because I see beyond the "ideal scenario" and look at the reality.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Highly likely I'll be positive if she is, but yes, I think if mine's negative I'd still have to isolate regardless. Just thought it would be better to get my own test done as well anyway really.

You say this (and it is highly likely) but my mate had his wife and 3 kids test positive and he returned negative test after negative test. His eldest daughter even tested positive twice during the whole episode. Needless to say he was disliked in his household.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You say this (and it is highly likely) but my mate had his wife and 3 kids test positive and he returned negative test after negative test. His eldest daughter even tested positive twice during the whole episode. Needless to say he was disliked in his household.

Exactly my point. Happened to a guy at our joint!
That's why I was commenting/asking....just seems so crazy!

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site

My lass grandad caught it at hospital unaware, while back at home his wife helped eat, dressed him, slept in the same bed for five days before he succumb to the virus and got worse and passed. Lass’ grandma didn’t catch a thing.
So you might not test positive.

Colleague at works daughter tested positive. Nobody else at home did, or get it.

Stay positive - just not on the test.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok you have put forward a valid case for rush hours to be a thing of the past…….

But it’s still happening, evening rush starts at 3 when the schools start chucking out.

Just because you don’t think it should be a thing, doesn’t mean it isn’t

A prime example during lockdowns 2 and ,3 was people told to avoid public transport so just meant more cars on the road

Now it's busier than before as people don't want to go back yet

People can say what they want about employers wanting to save on rent but so much behind the scene tax breaks to keep people in offices occur

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Took a load of plastic bottles to the recycling bin this morning in a bag for life, then threw the bag in the waste basket :unsure::confused:

The open yesterday, no single plastic bottles only metal bottles for sale £5.50 but free refills

Come out to leave go to station the trains handing out plastic bottles ?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Those are basically all the symptoms for any illness. They might as well say if you feel anything less than 100%, get tested.
Indeed.
Seems to me it's quite possible to be asymptomatically Covid-positive while simultaneously having some other illness.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
My inability to exist in warm weather without becoming a sweaty mess. I know the moment I get a shower I’ll just start sweating again and then it’s off to town to sit in the heat and get tiddly.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Still haven't got my PCR test result back. Everyone else seemingly got theirs the next morning. *grumble*

As a question, does it overly matter postive or negative? I mean either way you will be isolating due to your Mrs being postive? Unless you avoided her ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a question, does it overly matter postive or negative? I mean either way you will be isolating due to your Mrs being postive? Unless you avoided her ?
Yeah, it's just annoying. If I'm going to be stuck at home I'd rather at least be able to say I actually have it, not that I'm just isolating because of somebody else. :LOL: