Random Irritations

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The lad from our landscapers is having to redo a new brick step as he's got it 'wrong' twice - it's now 3rd time lucky. He is clearly very p'd off - quite a lot of work breaking up the step and rebuilding it.

He's also put in some 'rope edging' along the sides of a new path to our front door, and one of the 750mm lengths of edging is noticeably darker grey than all the others - and it's in a very obvious place leading to our front door. He either didn't notice or didn't think it mattered that much. But we are paying a lot of money for this work....so I just asked if he could replace it, was it difficult, as there are plenty of lengths of edging left over to choose a better match. I was not demanding - just politely asking. He grumbled and mumbled about it being a pain. Looked at me - then gave the edging piece a hard kick with his boot and it broke. 'It'll have to be replaced now...'

He's a nice, friendly lad - only 22 - and has been very diligent about his work. But that reaction to my request has really disappointed - and irritated - me. I won't report him to his boss - the owner - on the basis of this - but I hope he sorts it this time...and reflects...

Given the number of moans about it on here and the fact he's on the third step, you're either way to demanding and want the perfect job, he is rubbish at following instruction from you/his boss or his boss isn't keeping a close enough eye. I can see his frustration if I'm being honest. In the fullness of time with weathering would it really have been that much of an issue given the amount of extra work involved.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Went into the shop on Friday to get a birthday card. The first row of cards you see when you go in are all Christmas cards! It's far too early.

I need to buy a birthday card in the next week or so. I often struggle with a message for the inside... I'm seriously thinking of just writing this :D

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Given the number of moans about it on here and the fact he's on the third step, you're either way to demanding and want the perfect job, he is rubbish at following instruction from you/his boss or his boss isn't keeping a close enough eye. I can see his frustration if I'm being honest. In the fullness of time with weathering would it really have been that much of an issue given the amount of extra work involved.
In the fullness of time - Yes - I am afraid so.

The issue with the step was first time - one of misalignment of the step - and that was very obvious and would mess up the paths tiling pattern according to his tiler colleague; and second time - an issue raised by the tiler himself as the step did not give him the room to lay the tiles properly on a bedding. As far as the rope edging. I specifically asked whether a coating they were to use when they were done would make the difference less obvious. I asked if it would be difficult for him to replace it with another piece more closely matched (his tiler mate had already asked him to reset one piece by the step). He looked at me and booted the edging and it broke, then walked off.

We are often a bit too inattentive to work being done for us or we let things go - we don;t like confrontation. This may just be a step; a path and some edging - but it is part of a 'front of house' project that is costing us a lot of money. It was irritating that the lad reacted the way he did. It was frankly an uncalled for reaction to a simple request and questions from the customer. That is my irritation - not that he has to redo it.

And since you did mention it. His tiler colleague arrived with him this morning to make sure there were no further misunderstandings or mistakes.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And you have described my perfect Xmas, sadly still have to go to the inlaws this year.
Well - maybe not - it depends who else the In-Laws want to be there with them for Christmas...and how many households are allowed to be together in a home at any one time...

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well - maybe not - it depends who else the In-Laws want to be there with them for Christmas...and how many households are allowed to be together in a home at any one time...

No, definitely under current regulations, the in-laws just have me and my wife going down, 4 people, 2 households, perfectly compliant under the current regulations.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I was doing some work at Edinburgh Hospital and outside the maternity/fertility clinic was a pregnant woman, smoking, in a clearly defined no-smoking area. :rolleyes:
Still I suppose having a fag is more important to her than either her unborn child or other people's health.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Just had a salesman in pricing us up to have our windows replaced. He’s doing really well. Not up selling too much. Good prices. Then out of nowhere he goes - “see they’ve got that Birmingham stabber. Illegal refugee.”

Misjudged your audience a tad, mate.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Being a female golfer at a male dominated club. I'm about done having the course churned up on a Tuesday for our competitions. Today was the final straw. Sand on every green. Black fertiliser on some greens - our balls were literally black having rolled through the 11th. To add insult to injury they couldn't even be bothered to change the pins from the men's medal at the weekend.

I'm pretty much done with this sport.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
And so there was me hanging up my boots and sitting back to watch the fun from the side, and then all of a sudden and out of the blue all of the games were cancelled ?

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
And so there was me hanging up my boots and sitting back to watch the fun from the side, and then all of a sudden and out of the blue all of the games were cancelled ?
Yeah, I like it laughing at all the silly hissy fits. Ah well, they'll just move elsewhere, doubt it will have the desired effect either.

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not good at all. But hopefully a better club rather than chucking golf altogether?

I hate that we're second class members at so many clubs. :mad:

Maybe. Seems to be the norm sadly. I've ranted to the captain although warned her that raising a complaint will meet with similar disdain and probably make things worse!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Totally irrelevant in my view, he should have got it right the first time he did it.
Measure twice, cut once.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Being a female golfer at a male dominated club. I'm about done having the course churned up on a Tuesday for our competitions. Today was the final straw. Sand on every green. Black fertiliser on some greens - our balls were literally black having rolled through the 11th. To add insult to injury they couldn't even be bothered to change the pins from the men's medal at the weekend.

I'm pretty much done with this sport.

I have found the same with the gents mid week stableford / medal. Greens staff are out working, greens tined, dressed, etc. It in no way compares to a weekend comp.

D

Deleted member 1740

Poor Response, playing the poster and not the post again I see.....
Short memory Homer, I remember you kicking up a fuss and cryarsing on social media over a few bits when you moved into your new redrow home.

SILH is paying for a job to be done so hes well within his rights to ask for it to be done howhe wants it to be done, afterall hes paying for it.