Random Irritations

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why is it called a pelican crossing?
No idea, certainly nothing pelican related that I can fathom .
1960s: pelican from pe(destrian) li(ght) con(trolled), altered to conform with the bird's name.

1990s: puffin from p(edestrian) u(ser) f(riendly) in(telligent), respelled after the bird's name by analogy with pelican crossing .

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
1960s: pelican from pe(destrian) li(ght) con(trolled), altered to conform with the bird's name.

1990s: puffin from p(edestrian) u(ser) f(riendly) in(telligent), respelled after the bird's name by analogy with pelican crossing .

Crikey, every day is a school day. I never knew that.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

Add to that the Toucan - pedestrian and cycle crossing.....tou(2) can cross together
And Pegasus crossings with the button at a horse riders height

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
None of the above... :)
Growing up in the NW I was used to being called luv. Now I'm in the NE I'm usually Pet or occasionally Hinny. I like it, it's a term of endearment, and I like hearing other options from around the country.

Are there any terms that you would be okay with or do they all bother you?

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Demonstrations in London... Plenty of other cities/towns to choose from...
If all you want is media coverage then I am sure they'll rock up wherever you are...
Any field in the middle of nowhere would be fine (y)...

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Growing up in the NW I was used to being called luv. Now I'm in the NE I'm usually Pet or occasionally Hinny. I like it, it's a term of endearment, and I like hearing other options from around the country.

Are there any terms that you would be okay with or do they all bother you?

Nope. All depends on who's saying it and the context.