Random Irritations

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Is it really so difficult to understand that people could enjoy the texture and flavour of meat but not want to consume the flesh of a dead animal?

It’s not that difficult a concept, really. :/

It’s the boat I’m in, I like meat but I don’t like where it comes from. I do eat alternatives a lot more. I’ve cut out pork and lamb. Never ate lamb and I played golf by a pig farm once, I asked what all the screaming was and I was told what the noise was. Horrendous. Never touched it again.

Asked our lass if she wanted steak for tea.
Produced a quorn variation. I’ve never seen someone so upset! :ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is it really so difficult to understand that people could enjoy the texture and flavour of meat but not want to consume the flesh of a dead animal?

It’s not that difficult a concept, really. :/
I don't understand it actually, no. If you believe that animals shouldn't be killed for meat then why would you want to eat something that even imitates that? Couldn't it be argued that in some, small way, something like a vegetarian sausage justifies other people eating actual sausages - for the flavour? I say if you make your choice then you can't have it both ways, you're either against animal products completely, or you're not.

I will concede it's different for anyone who doesn't eat meat for health reasons rather than morals.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't understand it actually, no. If you believe that animals shouldn't be killed for meat then why would you want to eat something that even imitates that? Couldn't it be argued that in some, small way, something like a vegetarian sausage justifies other people eating actual sausages - for the flavour? I say if you make your choice then you can't have it both ways, you're either against animal products completely, or you're not.

I will concede it's different for anyone who doesn't eat meat for health reasons rather than morals.
Ok, well I guess you’ll just have to accept that some vegans and vegetarians do like the taste and texture of meat but at some stage made the decision that this was outweighed by their belief that we shouldn’t kill animals for their meat.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don’t understand the ‘vegetarians’ who still eat fish. They don’t eat meat due to the cruelty but the way most fish suffocate is way worse than the quick dispatch of a cow or sheep.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Cyclists on the pavement. Maybe it's because we do a daily walk now but the amount of times I see a youngster cycle towards us on a pavement and not move off on to the (quiet) road is staggering. I've now taken to standing in the middle of the pavement to make them move.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cyclists on the pavement. Maybe it's because we do a daily walk now but the amount of times I see a youngster cycle towards us on a pavement and not move off on to the (quiet) road is staggering. I've now taken to standing in the middle of the pavement to make them move.

You'd have to be careful where I live, some pavements are also designated as cycle lanes.
It's not a problem, except that most cyclists still use the busy road rather than the cycle lane!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It's not just that

Say you have been a meat eater for 30 years. Suddenly you decide you want to not eat meat anymore

Be it for health, the environment or animal not being killed

You will struggle with certain bits of the diet being missing. I'e the meat as that was always the main part the meal

Replace that with fake meat suddenly your life style choice becomes a lot easier

This was explained to me by a veggie who did just this

Imagine just eating veg after all the years .. would be hard

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

I think you now have to accept that some pavements ( and if some, why not all?) are for the use of pedestrians and cyclists. It is officially encouraged, hence the widening of some pavements by the Councils for that very purpose.
And that means that the cyclist is not expected to move out into the carriageway.
With a little consideration by both users they may pass each other safely.
Indeed, what annoys some motorists, including myself, is that where these "cyclists pavements" have been provided, the cyclists still insist on using the carriageway and having queues of car/lorry drivers behind them , limited to the cyclists speed.
Ref your last sentence, if you are elderly you are asking for trouble.
Being taken to A&E to make a point ( no longer officially accepted) is not very wise.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
You'd have to be careful where I live, some pavements are also designated as cycle lanes.
It's not a problem, except that most cyclists still use the busy road rather than the cycle lane!
These are definitely not cycle lanes. I would understand more if the roads were busy but we're talking quiet roads around where I live.
I think you now have to accept that some pavements ( and if some, why not all?) are for the use of pedestrians and cyclists. It is officially encouraged, hence the widening of some pavements by the Councils for that very purpose.
And that means that the cyclist is not expected to move out into the carriageway.
With a little consideration by both users they may pass each other safely.
Indeed, what annoys some motorists, including myself, is that where these "cyclists pavements" have been provided, the cyclists still insist on using the carriageway and having queues of car/lorry drivers behind them , limited to the cyclists speed.
Ref your last sentence, if you are elderly you are asking for trouble.
Being taken to A&E to make a point ( no longer officially accepted) is not very wise.
There are no rules to that effect where I am. There is plenty of room on the road for the cyclist and not enough room on the pavement. Yes, we have to step out of the way but when there is an empty road next to the pavement, then the cyclists should use them. I'm getting less sympathetic to cyclists as it seems for a number of them as they seem to believe the rules of the road and the highway code just do not apply to them.
And before anybody asks, I'm not aggressive to cyclists when I'm driving. I slow down, wait till the road is clear and then give them a wide berth when I pass them. I understand that they are vulnerable, but less vulnerable than pedestrians on a pavement.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don’t understand the ‘vegetarians’ who still eat fish. They don’t eat meat due to the cruelty but the way most fish suffocate is way worse than the quick dispatch of a cow or sheep.
I agree but then they are not vegetarians. They may like to kid themselves otherwise but they are not.

(neilds, this next point is not aimed at you)
My daughter turned vegetarian a couple of years ago. Some of her food we make from scratch but a good deal is bought from Quorn and similar. If they make vegetarian sausages in the shape of sausages is she supposed to reject them because they are shaped like meat sausages? Same as veggie burgers and so on. Maybe they are shaped a certain way because it works better to the eye?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree but then they are not vegetarians. They may like to kid themselves otherwise but they are not.

(neilds, this next point is not aimed at you)
My daughter turned vegetarian a couple of years ago. Some of her food we make from scratch but a good deal is bought from Quorn and similar. If they make vegetarian sausages in the shape of sausages is she supposed to reject them because they are shaped like meat sausages? Same as veggie burgers and so on. Maybe they are shaped a certain way because it works better to the eye?
I’m not actually a vegetarian, we do try and have one meat free day a week but more for health reason than anything. I certainly couldn’t give up meat full time!!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought masks were compulsory in shops, but I just walked into my local corner shop with a mask on and I was the only one. 5 other customers and 2 shopkeepers (one who was outside of the cash desk, mingling in the main area) and not one of them had a mask on. Made me feel self-conscious wearing it even though I thought it was mandatory! I do think the compulsory mask-wearing came in about two months late - but if nobody is actually doing it, it can't seemingly be enforced so what's the point.