Random Irritations

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Yup reverse parking is ridiculous in supermarkets. Have to watch some make 3/4/5 attempts at doing it right.

Reversing into a much larger area when you leave just makes more sense

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yup reverse parking is ridiculous in supermarkets. Have to watch some make 3/4/5 attempts at doing it right.

The big shopping centre nearby angles the spaces in its car park to suit drive in, it's actually very hard to reverse into one. People still try tho 🤣

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
People backing into car park spaces in supermarket car parks. How do they get their shopping in to the boot?
I always reverse in and leave enough space to put stuff into the boot. It's also a lot easier reversing in than reversing out as you're never sure what cars may be coming.
I tend to find that those who drive their cars forwards into the space are more inclined to park them skewiff.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The big shopping centre nearby angles the spaces in its car park to suit drive in, it's actually very hard to reverse into one. People still try tho 🤣
They call it a herringbone design. Hugely popular in America and once you have used them you wonder why on earth they are not universal. So much easier and quicker to get in and out of. I'm a reverse parker but not with this design of car park, no need to.

RichA

Visit site

Cars are more manoeuvrable in reverse plus you have mirrors and probably a camera that give overall better visibility of the space around the car. Reverse parking is a no brainer, unless you really need the boot facing out or you don't know how to use the mirrors.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
They call it a herringbone design. Hugely popular in America and once you have used them you wonder why on earth they are not universal. So much easier and quicker to get in and out of. I'm a reverse parker but not with this design of car park, no need to.
We have these in our golf club car park. I suggested we do them this way when it was resurfaced.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cars are more manoeuvrable in reverse plus you have mirrors and probably a camera that give overall better visibility of the space around the car. Reverse parking is a no brainer, unless you really need the boot facing out or you don't know how to use the mirrors.
But you then have to ‘struggle’ to get your shopping in the boot and risk searching your car or the one next to you. Seems stupid to me but each to their own

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Boot full of golf gear so reverse into shopping bays and put shopping bags behind front seats and drive forwards into golf club bays so I can get my gear out.

Simples ;)

RichA

Visit site
But you then have to ‘struggle’ to get your shopping in the boot and risk searching your car or the one next to you. Seems stupid to me but each to their own
That would be the "unless you really need the boot facing out" scenario mentioned.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never really understood this. How can it be easier to reverse into a parking space that is less than half the width of the road that you would reverse out into? I get the oncoming traffic bit but the gap is so much bigger coming out and cars will (should) let you out
Because a car has only one set of steerable wheels. The further they go in the 'gap', you increasingly lose ability to manouvre. (Try the following next time you're parked 'front wheels in first'. Get in car, turn steeriing wheel to full lock, then try reversing out. I bet the paintwork of adjacent car doesn’t like it. Then try exiting the space when you have 'front wheels in last').

Last edited:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Because a car has only one set of steerable wheels. The further they go in the 'gap', you increasingly lose ability to manouvre. (Try the following next time you're parked 'front wheels in first'. Get in car, turn steeriing wheel to full lock, then try reversing out. I bet the paintwork of adjacent car doesn’t like it. Then try exiting the space when you have 'front wheels in last').
Thank you very much for explaining that to me. As an engineer for nearly 40 years I really didn’t know that!
And if steering is so much worse with the steering wheels at the front, why haven’t car designers swapped the steering to the back?