Random Irritations

RichA

Visit site
This is just a respect thing. The car isn't yours, so don't lean on it.

I think anyone riding through busy roads/town with spds, or clip in shoes/pedals is just asking for trouble.
When I was cycling every day in London, I always used spd pedals. If there wasn't a piece of road furniture to use as a balance aid, it only took a light twist to unclip and put a foot on the ground.
I wouldn't dream of balancing on somebody else's vehicle as it would just reinforce some motorists' opinion that some cyclists are arrogant idiots.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A first world problem is a problem none the less and problems should try to be avoided where it can be. And this is a scenario where it can be. The "it's a first world problem" card is just lazy thinking.

You keep conflating this idea that we're talking about crashes. We're not, so for the benefit of those lagging behind, damage CAN be one way (i.e it's not always the car that causes the damage) and it CAN be inflicted whilst stationary.

And on that note, I'm away to play golf.

Well to be 100% correct damage can't be caused when stationary , as something would have to hit, rub , scratch , scrap and that would be moving . But anyways I digress

Have a good round

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to ride moutain bikes clipped in. Not once did I lean on someone elses car at a set of lights or the like.
Likewise I hate the pedalling zeolots who used my van or car as a resting post. Anyone who thinks it's ok is just mad, and obviosuly isn't bothered about anyone elses possessions and needs to learn respect for others.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to ride moutain bikes clipped in. Not once did I lean on someone elses car at a set of lights or the like.
Likewise I hate the pedalling zeolots who used my van or car as a resting post. Anyone who thinks it's ok is just mad, and obviosuly isn't bothered about anyone elses possessions and needs to learn respect for others.

Also people need some anger management. Both the rider of the bike for mouthing off and anyone getting out of a car to "have a word" instead of just smiling and waving.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
There are bike lanes on our more major roads. Where the road narrows, for instance, where there is an island in the middle, the bike lane disapears. Who thought that one up; that's where you really need the bike lane. At roundabouts, either the bike lane just disappears or the cyclists are directed onto the pavement and are required to brave two streams of traffic just to go straight on. I rarely ride an bike, but when I do, I have nothing to do with that last one.

But just like some motorists, bike riders can be idiots; riding through crossings on red and putting pedestrians at risk, riding through red lights and putting themselves at risk.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I was out for a run earlier and decided to have a breather, a cyclist stopped near me so I leant against his bike, he told me to fleck off, said his bike was worth thousands and didn’t want anyone touching it never mind taking the pish and leaning on it. I really didn’t see what his problem was 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

I’ve seen someone lean on a garden gate. He was prosecuted by the Royal Society for the protection of garden gates and sheds.