Random Irritations

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
First proper sunny day here today. About 20 degrees. No golf for me though as my wife is out on the razzle all day with her mates. I sorted dance, gymnastics etc. Dog walked. Lunch made and gardens cut. Sun was blazing so me and the dog sat out the back, soaking up the rays. Just finishing my second can and get a text asking if I can pick her and 2 of her mates up from the station at 9.30. The Indian I ordered will now be consumed without an ice cold lager. Mario Balotelli said it best - “Why always me?”.

Because you married her?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
First proper sunny day here today. About 20 degrees. No golf for me though as my wife is out on the razzle all day with her mates. I sorted dance, gymnastics etc. Dog walked. Lunch made and gardens cut. Sun was blazing so me and the dog sat out the back, soaking up the rays. Just finishing my second can and get a text asking if I can pick her and 2 of her mates up from the station at 9.30. The Indian I ordered will now be consumed without an ice cold lager. Mario Balotelli said it best - “Why always me?”.

So you drove after only the 2 beers. Like that's OK... (assuming, of course, you were referring to cans of beer, which is how it read)

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How am I not surprised on a golf forum to see this kind of attitude?

It really should be very simple, if you have had alcohol, you should not drive.
Whilst in no way condoning drunk driving, you don’t know when the 2 cans were consumed so cannot judge whether the poster was still affected. A can takes about an hour to wear off so I suspect, judging by the timings mentioned, the poster would have no alcohol in his system by 9:30

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Too many unknown factors. Strength of drink consumed, time of day, volume of a can, person’s mass, food consumed etc.

AFAIK general safety advice from law enforcement is 2 pints of 5% beer you should allow 7 hours before driving. But that doesn’t account for the other factors.

Whether it’s a legal thing or a sensible thing is subjective. Personally, I don’t subscribe to the “it’s not illegal so therefore it’s ok” angle as I’m pretty sure it’s not illegal to drink bleach, but sense tells me not to.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Too many unknown factors. Strength of drink consumed, time of day, volume of a can, person’s mass, food consumed etc.

AFAIK general safety advice from law enforcement is 2 pints of 5% beer you should allow 7 hours before driving. But that doesn’t account for the other factors.

Whether it’s a legal thing or a sensible thing is subjective. Personally, I don’t subscribe to the “it’s not illegal so therefore it’s ok” angle as I’m pretty sure it’s not illegal to drink bleach, but sense tells me not to.
In this case I'd hope the legal limits of alcohol intake are dictated by the science though? i.e. they must set the alcohol limit at a rate where 99.9% of people would be unaffected and thus perfectly able to drive?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
In this case I'd hope the legal limits of alcohol intake are dictated by the science though? i.e. they must set the alcohol limit at a rate where 99.9% of people would be unaffected and thus perfectly able to drive?
As I say, many variables. And science doesn't like variables.

As I also say, it's subjective. If the risk works for you then have at it, as you point out, it's not illegal (until it is).

I value my driving licence and the safety of others which drives my own personal risk appetite. Other views will vary.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I say, many variables. And science doesn't like variables.

As I also say, it's subjective. If the risk works for you then have at it, as you point out, it's not illegal (until it is).

I value my driving licence and the safety of others which drives my own personal risk appetite. Other views will vary.
Yeah I never push the limits, there's no point. I have two shandies after golf and no more, as I know that's broadly equivalent to one pint units-wise. I only take exception to the view that you should have absolutely zero alcohol if you're driving. That's not necessary.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah I never push the limits, there's no point. I have two shandies after golf and no more, as I know that's broadly equivalent to one pint units-wise. I only take exception to the view that you should have absolutely zero alcohol if you're driving. That's not necessary.
Again, it's risk based. Alcohol affects people in different ways, at different rates and for different durations. How it affects a single person can also vary instance to instance. If you are happy that that effect does not impair you in each instance then that's your judgement.

The safest way (not saying it's the "correct" way or should be proscribed), is to remove the risk of a even a rogue effect.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Again, it's risk based. Alcohol affects people in different ways, at different rates and for different durations. How it affects a single person can also vary instance to instance. If you are happy that that effect does not impair you in each instance then that's your judgement.

The safest way (not saying it's the "correct" way or should be proscribed), is to remove the risk of a even a rogue effect.

That is my approach, driving means no alcohol to me. I also know that I am not a person who is happy with one beer and so to have that one opens me up to the risk of doing something stupid so if I have to get in the car then it is no beer for me. I also tend to give myself a 12 hour cut off period if I am driving the next day. Not sure how safe that is, I am more nervous about driving the day after as it is so unpredictable and so 12 hours seems a happy medium in my head at least.

Last edited:

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whilst in no way condoning drunk driving, you don’t know when the 2 cans were consumed so cannot judge whether the poster was still affected. A can takes about an hour to wear off so I suspect, judging by the timings mentioned, the poster would have no alcohol in his system by 9:30

He posted at 6PM saying he need to pick up at 9:30PM. A lot of assumptions were made of course, could be a small stubby weak lager, could be two cans of tennants super.

My opinion remains, he should have told his mrs to make alternative arrangements as he was 2 beers in.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
A rough guide is 2 hours for one unit of alcohol to clear your system, a unit being around a half of beer or a small glass of wine. 4 units, 2 pints, is very close/just under/just over depending on you. If you drink 2 pints, 4 units starting at 7pm, the first unit is clear of your system by 9pm.

One of the product lines for the company I worked for made everything from handheld breathilysers to the desk top, evidentiary machines. As for being arrested at a roadside stop, you could blow positive with one pint or nearly register zero with 4. It’s the blood test that will confirm the alcohol in blood content.

Some people will feel fine with 2 pints but the next time they go out they’ll be a bit squiffy. There is no hard and fast rule for what is safe for any individual. Best either have none or stay well away from what you think the limit is.