Random Irritations

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Why does the maid have to iron everything with the iron set to 'Melt' setting & still not get creases out... and how on earth is the iron covered in limescale/calcium when she's only supposed to use bottled water in it!

HeftyHacker

Visit site
The word maths should, surely, have an apostrophe.
It should be math's.

Ooooh I'll bite - isn't it short for mathematics? Whereas an apostrophe would signify it belonged to maths since it isn't the constriction of two words like you see in that's (that is) or isn't (is not)?

Does the confusion lie when someone say "that's maths"? Are they saying "that's mathamatics's", or should they really be adding a the to create "that's the mathematics"?? I feel like it should be the latter.

Can anyone more linguistically and grammatically intelligent than I confirm?

D

Deleted member 23270

Ooooh I'll bite - isn't it short for mathematics? Whereas an apostrophe would signify it belonged to maths since it isn't the constriction of two words like you see in that's (that is) or isn't (is not)?

Does the confusion lie when someone say "that's maths"? Are they saying "that's mathamatics's", or should they really be adding a the to create "that's the mathematics"?? I feel like it should be the latter.

I confirm........I think ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Being a mathematician ? I can’t think of a scenario when I’d say that something ‘belongs’ to mathematics in an ‘ownership‘ way thereby necessitating the use of an apostrophe. So for instance…’statistics is not it’s own thing, it’s mathematics’s’…nah - it’s just mathematics.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
For consistency we should take the first syllable only and retain the final 's'.

mathematics = maths
economics = ecs
gymnastics = gyms

physics = physs
aerobics = aers

pedantics = peds ;)

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Yeah our maid drives me mad as well. Usually saying things like "stop calling me the maid I'm your ***** wife!"

Honestly, I got home to my sons nanny last night just sat on the sofa "not feeling well" and my little boy roaming the floor creating a right mess!

Oh did I say nanny.. I meant wife too...