Random Irritations

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Folk who are fortunate enough to live in Cornwall whining about the number of tourists that staycation will bring their way. So sorry if others want to enjoy what you get to enjoy 365 days a year. Without tourism the County doesn't have much else...

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You might have a different take if you lived there. I grew up and had a business not too far from Old skièr's haunting ground in N Devon.

Believe me in the holiday season trying to get around to clients in Devon & Cornwall was a nightmare.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Folk who are fortunate enough to live in Cornwall whining about the number of tourists that staycation will bring their way. So sorry if others want to enjoy what you get to enjoy 365 days a year. Without tourism the County doesn't have much else...

I can understand their irritation to a degree. They get to enjoy it uninterrupted in the winter when no one else is interested in freezing their codds off, but not in the decent weather.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most EGR issues I've come across have been down to choked solenoids. The soot just builds up until it can't open or close properly.

Carb (or brake) cleaner with a drill mounted wire brush (pipe cleaner type) usually goes a long way to freeing them.

The valves themselves aren't overly complex in a mechanical snese, if its a control circuit issue then thats another matter but I always recommend the clean it route first.

Thanks for that, I may well go down that route first.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for that, I may well go down that route first.

I would always suggest trying it first. Six or seven quid can of carn cleaner vs a couple of hundred.

Problem with diagnostic tests is that they aren't specific. Will just be something like P0208 EGR fault with no indication of mechanical or electrical problems.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would always suggest trying it first. Six or seven quid can of carn cleaner vs a couple of hundred.

Problem with diagnostic tests is that they aren't specific. Will just be something like P0208 EGR fault with no indication of mechanical or electrical problems.

Hey, if you can get me a new replacement for a couple of hundred I'd bite your bloody hand off!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Estate agents who put a new property live at 8pm on a friday night!
But moreso me for checking at that time of night then sending a begging message to try and get a viewing tomorrow lol

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I keep seeing the problems you are having. Why is it so manic?

Complete distortion in the supply and demand equation, especially for village locations, within striking distance of London, with decent outside space

No one is choosing to sell, the vast majority of houses coming to market are from death or divorce. Those who have a choice are choosing to wait until Covid is consigned to history or they feel safer in moving. Covid laws have meant that landlords have been unable to evict tenants which has meant there has been no supply of ex let properties being churned too.

Add in there has been a huge increase in demand from people moving out from the cities, especially London, looking for properties further out with more outside space (large garden is our main must have), a lot who are effectively moving to a cheaper area so have more relative buying power. Stamp duty holiday being extended from March to June has prolonged whats happening.

Furlough/SEISS has meant a lot of people in the price point we are looking at are actually better off than they were before Covid started fuelling demand and price rises.

Add in a dose of FOMO and people panicking and you get the lovely market were currently in :)

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
First the good news: Coventry city of culture events start today.
Now the bad: Why, when it was always free, does the Transport Museum in the centre of town now cost 14 quid???

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Complete distortion in the supply and demand equation, especially for village locations, within striking distance of London, with decent outside space

No one is choosing to sell, the vast majority of houses coming to market are from death or divorce. Those who have a choice are choosing to wait until Covid is consigned to history or they feel safer in moving. Covid laws have meant that landlords have been unable to evict tenants which has meant there has been no supply of ex let properties being churned too.

Add in there has been a huge increase in demand from people moving out from the cities, especially London, looking for properties further out with more outside space (large garden is our main must have), a lot who are effectively moving to a cheaper area so have more relative buying power. Stamp duty holiday being extended from March to June has prolonged whats happening.

Furlough/SEISS has meant a lot of people in the price point we are looking at are actually better off than they were before Covid started fuelling demand and price rises.

Add in a dose of FOMO and people panicking and you get the lovely market were currently in :)

Has your search been as far from London as Cambs? Saw a For Sale sign in Ellington today. Nice village. Good pub. Couple of miles from Grafham Water. 10 minutes to Huntingdon Station. Literally less than a mile from A14 etc!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Has your search been as far from London as Cambs? Saw a For Sale sign in Ellington today. Nice village. Good pub. Couple of miles from Grafham Water. 10 minutes to Huntingdon Station. Literally less than a mile from A14 etc!

Were living in Cambs currently and going to view a house in Ellington on Monday lol, not the first time weve viewed there either!

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Were living in Cambs currently and going to view a house in Ellington on Monday lol, not the first time weve viewed there either!

How spooky is that?! We're just a couple of villages along in Spaldwick. Also a lovely village. Easton is nice too (much smaller).

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
How spooky is that?! We're just a couple of villages along in Spaldwick. Also a lovely village. Easton is nice too (much smaller).

Most of the villages round there seem nice, just not been much come up. Weve driven round the area a few times etc going to have another look round monday morning :) Apologies in advance for potentially bringing the quality of the area down ;)

Edit: always assumed you were further West of there, probably because of where you play your golf :)