Random Irritations

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whenever I've played Montecastillo, adjacent to Jerez motor racing circuit, there is often a soundtrack of cars or bikes hurtling round the track, especially when playing the 13th hole.
I absolutely love it.
In 1990 on the way home from the Gulf we stopped off at Greece where we had a game of golf at Glyfada. It is literally right next door to Athens airport. The noise was unreal. The only other thing I remember about the game was that I didn’t have a single par or birdie, and I was off about 10/11 at the time.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There used to be a golf course in Clearwater, Florida called Airco. One of the holes backed on to the runway of the nearby airport and it became a real thing to wait until a plane was revving up ready to start its take-off and then hit a tee-shot. If you timed it right, and you didn't over-balance, you could get a real boost.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
There is one at my club which is why it was fresh in my mind. House behind the 14th green, you can see the smashed window where someone ballooned one in there. I have heard that the club is now planning to make that hole much shorter so it becomes a par 3 (and lengthen the 15th to compensate). Annoy for them to have to do that much work to appease someone who knew they were buying a house that's right next to a golf course. I don't understand why they can't just put taller netting up above the fence - but I don't know the full details of the dispute or how long it's gone on.
It's a very long story. The guy who owns the house can't be reasoned with and has an agenda. That broken window happened at least two years ago. The player responsible owned up, gave his details and offered to pay for repairs, but instead the owner is presumably keeping the broken window as some kind of enduring evidence.

The club did try and put up a net, but it required planning permission, which was refused - amazingly the house owner objected because it would spoil his view of the course!

I'd better not go into more of the extensive back story on a public forum, but the longer standing members can fill you in on the long history of this saga.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The new corporate practice of firing and re-hiring. Just watched the BBC article this morning. Apparently it's legal but totally immoral in my view.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a very long story. The guy who owns the house can't be reasoned with and has an agenda. That broken window happened at least two years ago. The player responsible owned up, gave his details and offered to pay for repairs, but instead the owner is presumably keeping the broken window as some kind of enduring evidence.

The club did try and put up a net, but it required planning permission, which was refused - amazingly the house owner objected because it would spoil his view of the course!

I'd better not go into more of the extensive back story on a public forum, but the longer standing members can fill you in on the long history of this saga.
I did hear some similar little tidbits from someone who played with us the other day! Cheers for that. As I said originally - I can't stand people like that. Just wants his two pence of compensation I guess. Or some men just want to watch the world burn, as the saying goes.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Guns N' Roses postponing their tour for a 2nd year which I fully understand given the pandemic but the longer they leave it the more chance there is of Axl Rose popping his clogs

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Guns N' Roses postponing their tour for a 2nd year which I fully understand given the pandemic but the longer they leave it the more chance there is of Axl Rose popping his clogs

Queen have done the same thing, so it's now 2022, wanna bet which one goes first Rose or May?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
People on social media getting a bee in their ball bags about SUV's. (and since when did we call a 4x4 an SUV???!!) Anyhoo, some people need a 7 seat car. They are virtually the same size as the equivalent large people carrier. End.

In fact, people on Social media. Most of them are door knobs.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Purchasers reviews of jigsaw puzzles that complain about excessive ‘puzzle dust’ with their new puzzle. Never any mention of any health risk the dust might pose them (I guess there may be some tiny risk for asthmatics) - nope - just excessive puzzle dust. Need someone to explain why it’s an issue worth moaning about.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
People on social media getting a bee in their ball bags about SUV's. (and since when did we call a 4x4 an SUV???!!) Anyhoo, some people need a 7 seat car. They are virtually the same size as the equivalent large people carrier. End.

In fact, people on Social media. Most of them are door knobs.
They is a bleedin nuisance in our narrow Victorian/Edwardian in-town cul-de-sac of a road with most houses only having on-road parking - so much so that we seem to have a lower number than might be expected in a relatively affluent road (with many families) such as ours.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Purchasers reviews of jigsaw puzzles that complain about excessive ‘puzzle dust’ with their new puzzle. Never any mention of any health risk the dust might pose them (I guess there may be some tiny risk for asthmatics) - nope - just excessive puzzle dust. Need someone to explain why it’s an issue worth moaning about.

It is a pain when you tip out the pieces and there is the dust from the backing. Usually, in my limited experience, means a poorly cut puzzle that starts to rip the backing when pieces are placed and taken out again. Not that I'd moan BUT probably wouldn't buy one if that was mentioned in the review.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
In the latest edition of Dorset Living freebie magazine there is a beach hut for sale on Mudeford sand spit.
It's an expensive part of the world, granted, but it is, in reality, a wooden hut. On a sand spit.
Two years ago, I saw one for sale for 275000. Hmm, that is not cheap for a glorified shed.

Today's price?

£325,000.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In the latest edition of Dorset Living freebie magazine there is a beach hut for sale on Mudeford sand spit.
It's an expensive part of the world, granted, but it is, in reality, a wooden hut. On a sand spit.
Two years ago, I saw one for sale for 275000. Hmm, that is not cheap for a glorified shed.

Today's price?

£325,000.

one sold for 400k+ last summer off mkt

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Puzzledust sounds like an excellent band name. (y)