Random Irritations

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The person in charge who decided the Clap for Sir Tom should be done at 6pm on a weeknight. Too many people either didn't know, care or weren't home from work.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
If you think people don’t believe they must hide their sexuality then ask yourself how many gay currently playing

Footballers
Rugby players
Golfers
Athletes
American Football players
Boxers

In fact 99% of the sports

The stigma is still there and that’s why people still hide until they retire
So come on then Phil how many are hiding their sexuality?
Let’s just say in the Premier league?
Obviously for your argument you’d like to say several.
Maybe so,but maybe not.
How many have actually come out after retirement?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
So come on then Phil how many are hiding their sexuality?
Let’s just say in the Premier league?
Obviously for your argument you’d like to say several.
Maybe so,but maybe not.
How many have actually come out after retirement?

How many will come out in their 70s, having had kids, marriages, grand kids, etc? Who knows? How many will turn out to be trans? It's a silly question, with no answer.

What would be amazing, would be the answer, none.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
First post I have seen in social media asking why they cannot play golf now they have the vaccine. Totally ignorant to the thought that giving additional freedoms to those vaccinated would cause chaos to the possibke extent of civil unrest.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
How many will come out in their 70s, having had kids, marriages, grand kids, etc? Who knows? How many will turn out to be trans? It's a silly question, with no answer.

People like to assume that there are loads of footballers that are too scared to come out.
Maybe that’s not the case ?‍♂️

D

Deleted member 15344

I think the last high profile to come out as gay was Hitzelberger - you are prob right , we won’t see many in our life time come out because of the stigma still attached and there will be no doubt they would be subjected to abuse.

People always seem to act horrified that there is ever the chance that professional footballers can be gay - the percentages suggest there will be players out there hiding their sexuality and always will do - and it will be the same for many sports , and there will be many fans happy for that because they won’t have to have the “horror” of supporting a gay player for their favourite team. For some it’s still hard to support people of ethnic minorities.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
And...... How to ruin the perfect wordplay ?

No, because "summery" describes summer conditions as "wintry" describes winter conditions.... And "summery" is "summary" spelt incorrectly on purpose for the point of the pun.

"Summry" is not a word, makes no sense and isn't funny.

Thanks for your input. (y)
I think it's you who missd the pun.
In Slime's weird and wonderful world, Wintry is not a word.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You are wrong:

View attachment 34868

"Wierd" isn't a word though, it's "weird".
I think it's been discussed here before - but it's a strange quirk of the English language. If summer is summery then winter should be wintery shouldn't it? Who decided to cut the 'e' in one and not the other? :LOL:

Then again autumny isn't a word, it's autumnal. And spring? Spring-like? Springy? :p

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I think it's been discussed here before - but it's a strange quirk of the English language. If summer is summery then winter should be wintery shouldn't it? Who decided to cut the 'e' in one and not the other? :LOL:

Then again autumny isn't a word, it's autumnal. And spring? Spring-like? Springy? :p

Vernal. (y)

That's confused you, hasn't it? :LOL:

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

The dictionary isn’t the be all and end all of the English language, it does reflect the language changes and introduction of new popular words.
So if we as a society take to a word and use it all the time it could make it’s way in ..
So if you can get “springy” in as a description of the weather, good job ? ??

What I don’t like is Microsoft defaults to an American spell checker, that is not a language and is a local bastardisation of the English language and tantamount to having a Cumbrian/brummie/ Liverpudlian spell checker ...

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Yet another attempted phone scam. Are there more and more of these, or were we just spared them because we worked in an office & never had daytime calls?

And is it worth a separate thread to keep everyone up to date on them? I know we are all clever, & we'd never get caught, so we don't need one, do we... :unsure: