Qualifiers

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Simple question, I hope, regarding qualifying competitions.

If playing off a full course, with all the bunkers in play, and no temporary greens, can a committee declare a competition non-qualifying merely because of the weather conditions? And if it does so, can this decision be made without declaring it before the first group starts its round?

That’s precisely what happened at ours this morning. Course perfectly playable, in good condition, but because of steady rain they’ve tried to declare it a non-qualifier after several groups were on the course.

My view is they are absolutely wrong, and I’m seriously considering contacting our local Golf Union because this is the latest in a long line of questionable decisions. But I want to be sure of the CONGU regulations before I stir up what has the potential to be a massive hornet’s nest.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Simple question, I hope, regarding qualifying competitions.

If playing off a full course, with all the bunkers in play, and no temporary greens, can a committee declare a competition non-qualifying merely because of the weather conditions? And if it does so, can this decision be made without declaring it before the first group starts its round?

That’s precisely what happened at ours this morning. Course perfectly playable, in good condition, but because of steady rain they’ve tried to declare it a non-qualifier after several groups were on the course.

My view is they are absolutely wrong, and I’m seriously considering contacting our local Golf Union because this is the latest in a long line of questionable decisions. But I want to be sure of the CONGU regulations before I stir up what has the potential to be a massive hornet’s nest.

I would ask the committee for a written answer first and then present that to the golf union. Hard to do anything without their explanation but as they are wrong in the decision they came to. What was their rationale? Surely not just because it was raining. If there was no flooding on greens that made it impossible to putt or the course became dangerous I can see no grounds

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sounds very wrong to me, get a proper explanation the contact the County union if required, particularly if this incident is symptomatic of how things are run

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’m waiting for a written response, but I fail to see what justifiable reason they can have. We played off the whites and, with the exception of minor standing water near one or two sprinkler heads and small puddles in a couple of bunkers, the course was absolutely playable. The greens were free of water and running fine.

Our Committee has lacked consistency for years and at times make things up as they go along. I suspect this morning they came under pressure from some of the more vocal members to call the event off because of steady rain, but for every player who cried off there were a dozen who were happy to play.

I really see no justification for it.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’m waiting for a written response, but I fail to see what justifiable reason they can have. We played off the whites and, with the exception of minor standing water near one or two sprinkler heads and small puddles in a couple of bunkers, the course was absolutely playable. The greens were free of water and running fine.

Our Committee has lacked consistency for years and at times make things up as they go along. I suspect this morning they came under pressure from some of the more vocal members to call the event off because of steady rain, but for every player who cried off there were a dozen who were happy to play.

I really see no justification for it.

There isn't. They've cocked up

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve had this problem before at a previous club.
Called them out on it. Said it was against the spirit of the game in an email and on social media.

Won a major that year.
I didn’t get invited to the presentation evening.

Left to a better club.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From Rule 1 of the Congu manual


every golf club or handicapping authority will, whenever possible run stroke play competitions as
qualifying competitions,

It is against the spirit and intent of the system to adjust the terms and conditions of a competition
deliberately, so that it is rendered non-qualifying on a technicality.

From the Definitions
In exceptional circumstances only, or with the authority of the [FONT=Arial,Italic][FONT=Arial,Italic]Union
[FONT=Arial,Italic][FONT=Arial,Italic]
, the committee in charge of a competition may declare it a [FONT=Arial,Italic][FONT=Arial,Italic]Non Qualifying Competition [FONT=Arial,Italic][FONT=Arial,Italic]before play commences

[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Were the white tees of the day set to the markers? I have seen it in the past at this time of year where the tees are moved forward to protect the most commonly used areas. I seem to remember that if the course is less than the measured course by a certain amount it isn't a qualifier off those tees. I may of course be wrong but it's the only reason I can think of and they can't suddenly decide it's a non qualifier once the comp is underway. Unless that is, it's called off and a large percentage weren't able to tee off or complete their round.

Last edited: