Abandoned competion

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I opened a thread in the lounge but my query also has a golf rule aspect to it that I hope you can help with!

I was under the impression under WHS that scores count for handicap as long as 10 or more holes have been completed. So those players that managed to finish with "qualifying" scores will be processed for handicap purposes. Indeed their scores have already gone through to WHS but of course we can cancel them easily enough by making the comp a non qualifier retrospectively.

Question is, should we?

I found this text on the R&A website.

"...Committee cancel the round.It is important to note, when a round is cancelled, all scores and penalties during that round are cancelled, which would also include disqualification penalties...."

And now I'm confused dot com.🤪

wjemather

Visit site
I opened a thread in the lounge but my query also has a golf rule aspect to it that I hope you can help with!

I was under the impression under WHS that scores count for handicap as long as 10 or more holes have been completed. So those players that managed to finish with "qualifying" scores will be processed for handicap purposes. Indeed their scores have already gone through to WHS but of course we can cancel them easily enough by making the comp a non qualifier retrospectively.

Question is, should we?

I found this text on the R&A website.

"...Committee cancel the round.It is important to note, when a round is cancelled, all scores and penalties during that round are cancelled, which would also include disqualification penalties...."

And now I'm confused dot com.🤪
If a round is cancelled, all scores etc. are cancelled as far as the competition is concerned, but they remain acceptable for handicapping if the minimum number of holes have been started.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If a round is cancelled, all scores etc. are cancelled as far as the competition is concerned, but they remain acceptable for handicapping if the minimum number of holes have been started.
Even if the conditions were unplayable?

Unlike tour events , there arent competition officials on each hole, a coordinator with a weather screen, and a hooter system to tell everyone to stop.

That can take quite some time in an average members club. And players cannot simply decide themselves that the competition is suspended or abandoned. So they soldier on. And submit a card. And
hour later, a committee member puts the word out, yes, comp cancelled. But the onward soldierers were playing in just as bad conditions.
Even with WHS's hunger for every score possible, surely in that scenario, a bit perverse ?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That's the nature of club golf in the UK
Exactly. My point is to KenL, that its not always possible to avoid starting a competition and have conditions not change to unplayable. So his 'perhaps' isnt really relevant to what should happen when a comp is abandoned.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
That can take quite some time in an average members club. And players cannot simply decide themselves that the competition is suspended or abandoned. So they soldier on. And submit a card. And
hour later, a committee member puts the word out, yes, comp cancelled. But the onward soldierers were playing in just as bad conditions.
Even with WHS's hunger for every score possible, surely in that scenario, a bit perverse ?
How does a club meet its responsibilities for the safety of its members if it doesn't have a hooter and doesn't ensure the course is evacuated when necessary. It shouldn't be allowing a situation in which players "just soldier on."