Putting fuel in to your tank

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The recent fuel problems left me pondering.

What do you do normally?

Me I have always only half filled my tank and let it go to about just above red before refilling.

My reasoning- the more fuel you have in the car the worse the MPG and the all the extra weight at the rear of the car brings a noticeable difference in the cars handling and performance.

yandabrown

Visit site
My normal is fill it up when the light goes on. Rationale being that less time spent overall in finding/filling/paying.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I go to a quarter full and then fill it. I don't want to be going to a fuel station every few days to keep adding a bit at a time. Fill it, that does me a week or two depending on what I am doing. I don't like going below a quarter in case circumstances catch me out. That doesn't mean I don't ever red light it but I try to avoid that.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

What do you do normally?

Me I have always only half filled my tank and let it go to about just above red before refilling.

My reasoning- the more fuel you have in the car the worse the MPG and the all the extra weight at the rear of the car brings a noticeable difference in the cars handling and performance.

Always full and this full tank weight is really minor

Carrying one person in the car is heavier than the amount of fuel

The amount you save is so minor that you might aswell always fill up.

Same with those who don't use air con because it costs such a minor amount of fuel .. nothing compared to repairing the system due to not using it

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I go to a quarter full and then fill it. I don't want to be going to a fuel station every few days to keep adding a bit at a time. Fill it, that does me a week or two depending on what I am doing. I don't like going below a quarter in case circumstances catch me out. That doesn't mean I don't ever red light it but I try to avoid that.
This

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site

What do you do normally?

What car do you drive that 1/2 a tank of fuel upsets the handling? Do you not put anything in the boot for the same reason?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have an old habit of putitng £30 in the tank. This came from years of being a smoker (not anymore) when £30 in petrol lasted me about the same time as 20 Marlboro lights. I would buy £30 of fuel each time I went to the petrol station.

RichA

Visit site
I normally fill up when I happen to be doing a Saturday afternoon Tesco shop and I know that my next drive to an elderly relative will be before the next weekly shop.
The tank can be anywhere from reserve tank to half-full and I always fill up completely.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My car beeps at me when the range is below 50 miles, so I would usually plan to get petrol after that point. Previously I would just chuck 40 or 45 quid in and that would usually last me 3 or 4 weeks. But because of what's happened lately I've been filling it right up - still only cost about 55.

Annoyingly while the petrol nonsense has been going on I have quite a few long journeys I need to make so I've had to fill up more than usual anyway. :cautious:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I always fill it up. Our (Very few) petrol stations are normally quite busy, even pre madness, so less times filling up, the happier I am.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It depends on my workload.
If I'm fairly quiet and only got a couple of lessons I'll let the tank run down until the light co es on and then fill up.
If I've got a busy day ahead I'll sometimes fill up with 1/4 of a tank left so I'm not in danger of having to stop a lesson to get fuel.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What car do you drive that 1/2 a tank of fuel upsets the handling? Do you not put anything in the boot for the same reason?

Peugeot 308 turbo

I did not say it upsets the handling just that I notice the difference.

Generally speaking the vast majority of my driving is done with an empty car on derestricted country roads with lots of bends at 50/60 MPH. I very rarely carry anything in the boot and will generally load up the rear behind the driver and passenger seats first.

Not knowing yet what the new higher rates for fuel is in terms of how much goes in compared to cost I filled up well beyond my usual level last week and noticed the difference.

It's a bit like the difference between me driving around on my own, which I do most of the time, and having passengers in the car.