Putters

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
So then, we all have one and there's certainly no shortage of different types available to us all. What's more we probably use them at a ratio of 2:1 compared to all other clubs in the bag.

Blade, Mallet, 2-Ball, 3-Ball, Fang or even scale models of Starship Enterprise with heads the size of a small planet. The list is almost endless.

Then there's the grip. Standard or something with the girth of a baseball bat at the thick end, or maybe even something rounder and bigger. 34, 35, 36 inch length, and what degree of loft?😏

But what is yours like?

Since 1999 I have used a simple blade-type effort bought by HiD as a Father's Day present from my sons. A Ping Sedona with a regular grip (see pic). It's served me well for the most part and although when *it's* had an off day 😄 and I've considered changing it for a new brand spanking new state-of-the-art £300+ Cotty Scameron super-steel-cold-milled-soft-faced-never-misses-inside-20 feet-meganungous-stupendo-wand, I've resisted the temptation.

Of all the clubs in our bags, to me, the putter is the most personalised and important. I have PPs who've changed theirs more often than they change their socks over the years, but they never seem to be happy with, or indeed never seem to have this element of the game cracked, despite the endless quest and incessant chopping and changing.

My view is that to continually change putters is Fools gold, as in addition to its importance, putters are also the least of all our clubs that are subject to the modern trend of scientific jumbo-jumbo.

If you get hold of a good one that suits you, then what can ever go wrong with it in, say, 40 years? or for that matter 50 or indeed 60? It is a low-stress piece of kit. It won't wear out or the shaft won't become flaccid over time. It'll remain constant year in year out.

But what about you? What short of short stick do you use?

image.jpg

Last edited:

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My preferred putter type is a mid mallet with slight toe hang. I've had a few like this and currently using a scotty Cameron Golo 5, I can see me sticking with this for a good while.

Grip is the standard scotty pistolero with 4 wraps of tape to thicken it up just a tad.

Tried traditional Anser style Scotty newport, a few face balanced odyessey mallets. Also recently experimented with a superstroke 3.0 grip, that did not go well. Always come back to the mid mallet with a bit of toe hang.

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
Gone back to my Wilson Staff 8883 half-mallet and had the grip changed for the newer WS Infinite fat-grip... has taken some getting used to, but holed everything inside 10 feet on Sunday. I hope it wasn't just a fluke :mmm:

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I did have "The Enterprise" a Pinfire Eagle centre shaft putter. Massive, red and resembled a branding iron.

Now using a Mizuno MP-T102. I now understand what is meant by "feel" with a putter. Lots more feedback.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I switch between these two

golden-bear-bear-claw-blade-putter-2.jpg
in12.JPG

The Nicklaus with full milled face & the TM with an insert (both blade obviously) cant stand the look of two ball heads and not really tried spaceships

The full milled blade is fitted with a jumbo grip while TM is still standard

The Nicklaus is far better for long distance putts while the TM insert certainly reduces backspin it needs a bigger whack to get it to the hole

Both have offset necks as again I don't like the straight necked ones

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
This is mine....,tour_blue_3_large.jpg

Pure titanium, heat treated to give the rainbow-ish finish, milled face, tungsten weights in the heel and toe - suits me!

I've used this style for years, the half-mallet, face-balanced type.
Sometimes with an insert, sometimes not but these days a milled face is my preference.
Dabbled with 2-balls and had a Fang No.7 for a while but I've always drifted back to this style.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
This is mine....,View attachment 14956

Pure titanium, heat treated to give the rainbow-ish finish, milled face, tungsten weights in the heel and toe - suits me!

I've used this style for years, the half-mallet, face-balanced type.
Sometimes with an insert, sometimes not but these days a milled face is my preference.
Dabbled with 2-balls and had a Fang No.7 for a while but I've always drifted back to this style.

Gorgeous finish, did it come like that or did you have it 'pimped'

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have just gone back to using a ping Sedona which has been with me for about 20+ years, really enjoying the toe hang type after a couple of SC's, but I am a switcher when it comes to putters

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Even throughout my stage of reckless club ho'ing I went through for the best part of a year the one constant was my Odyssey 9 putter. Just cannot improve on it as far as my eye and stroke goes.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got a Scotty Cameron job (cant remember the exact name!) that I won from Golf Monthly after my letter was voted letter of the month way back circa 2005 time!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
93a.jpg

Found this early on, my 3rd putter after a £9.99 special and another cheap one where the face insert fell out. Neither were top brand gear...

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have my Never compromise gambler flush, which is similar to an Odessey number 9. It's got a milled face, a nice weight, and suits my eye. I've lengthened it out to 36 1/2", which I always do, and put a black widow grip on it.

I won't be changing this putter any time soon.

D

Deleted member 15344

Phil is there any change in address or technique with the spaceship heads when compared to a blade i.e do you strengthen the grip

I know those that putt with the heel down/toe up really couldn't with this style, anything else you did after swapping to this?

I nvere used a blade putter - only ever used a mallet type so always had the same putting style - only thing i did was add a super stroke grip to it

But i do have PP who does swap between the two and he doesnt seem to change his style but again dont think he is a toe up putter.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just picked up the Odyssey Works Versa Tank #7. That will be staying in the bag as it feels superb through the stroke and perfectly weighted for me. Had a 'fang' a few years ago and putted well with it. Got rid of it for some reason, but reverted back and going to keep hold of it!

imgrc0063174592.jpg

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I nvere used a blade putter - only ever used a mallet type so always had the same putting style - only thing i did was add a super stroke grip to it

But i do have PP who does swap between the two and he doesnt seem to change his style but again dont think he is a toe up putter.

Cheers, I've messed about with these in shops but never had a putt with one so just wondered

I've been tinkering with an interlocking grip & toe-up on the office putting mat (normally quite flat) and it did seem to promote a smoother backswing, might give it a blast in the real world this weekend

D

Deleted member 15344

Cheers, I've messed about with these in shops but never had a putt with one so just wondered

I've been tinkering with an interlocking grip & toe-up on the office putting mat (normally quite flat) and it did seem to promote a smoother backswing, might give it a blast in the real world this weekend

I do every now and then give the Stricker method a blast - lift the heel up a touch

But it will depend on what you think you are having issues with - if the backswing seems a bit "judery" ( if that's a word) it could be the wrists moving ever so slightly so might be worth getting a fatter grip to encourage quieter wrists without the need to throttle or strengthen the grip ?