Pro golfers spitting

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
It's seems to be a culture thing. What I mean by that is its just the Americans. This subject came up on golf wrx forum and all the yanks said they didn't see the problem. All the Europeans and ozzy's said it was rank

It used to be fairly common in Japan, maybe still is with certain male age groups. It's not uncommon for them to spit in the street when you're walking by. Quite gross at times.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Diff country and all that (& not just on the course either) but spitting in public is now against the public health law here since May and carries £100 fine plus a month locked up

Seems proportionate to me

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Does it really matter, it’s a golf course which is outside and huge so why does it need to be an issue. Kevin Kisner also chews tobacco which is why he will ‘spit’ often. I’m not sure it’s something anybody should really care about. Perhaps send him a letter if your so offended by his behaviour

If you can't see the potential problem......?.
EGU gave advice, I believe , at the start of the pandemic to golfers, amongst which was not to touch balls other than your own because of the (small, yes) chance of picking up the virus.
If any spit contains the virus and there is a chance of a ball rolling in it. Then there is a risk of traces of spit on your hand.
Therefore there is a chance of transmission.
If there is no spit, there is no chance of transmission

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
It used to be fairly common in Japan, maybe still is with certain male age groups. It's not uncommon for them to spit in the street when you're walking by. Quite gross at times.
I was travelling in China. I remember being on the bottom bunk on a sleeper train when the two dirty gits above me where constantly spitting over the edge of their bed onto the floor. About every hour a women came to mop every section. No bucket, just a mop and used the same mop on the whole carriage ???

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
If you can't see the potential problem......?.
EGU gave advice, I believe , at the start of the pandemic to golfers, amongst which was not to touch balls other than your own because of the (small, yes) chance of picking up the virus.
If any spit contains the virus and there is a chance of a ball rolling in it. Then there is a risk of traces of spit on your hand.
Therefore there is a chance of transmission.
If there is no spit, there is no chance of transmission
Does the golfer in question reside in this country, are these rules applicable to him ? Also the chances you talk about are minuscule, how long can the virus live outside on grass before being washed away or whatever

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Does the golfer in question reside in this country, are these rules applicable to him ? Also the chances you talk about are minuscule, how long can the virus live outside on grass before being washed away or whatever

Nothing to do with who resides in what country. I mentioned the EGU advice not as a rule, but as an illustration of there being a valid and wide held belief that virus transmission was possible via the ball.
How long in the grass?
If there was no spit , the question wouldn't arise.
Do you not acknowledge that no chance is better than some chance, however small the latter?

Mandofred

Visit site
So if a bug flies into my mouth and I have to spit to get it out....is that ok? All this conversation does is confirm my constant amazement that people see things in so many different ways and are convinced that they are right and the other views are wrong....and actually get upset about completely trivial topics. Politics (sorry, just mentioning the word), religion, sports(jeez, a guy I play with gets mildly irritated if you have red anywhere....hates Man U).....now....let's get back to complaining about important things like Brexit/closed golf courses/long hitters/new handicap system/Paige Spiranac :p

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
So if a bug flies into my mouth and I have to spit to get it out....is that ok? All this conversation does is confirm my constant amazement that people see things in so many different ways and are convinced that they are right and the other views are wrong....and actually get upset about completely trivial topics. Politics (sorry, just mentioning the word), religion, sports(jeez, a guy I play with gets mildly irritated if you have red anywhere....hates Man U).....now....let's get back to complaining about important things like Brexit/closed golf courses/long hitters/new handicap system/Paige Spiranac:p

When I was about 11 or 12, I was at school walking along a corridor when just that happened, a bug flew into my mouth. I went to the window looking out into an enclosed courtyard where no one could get in, and spat the bug out. I was spotted by our sadistic French teacher, who promptly caned me for spitting, with no interest in the reason why.