Pro Golfers and FORE

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Sadly at some point I can see someone getting seriously injured by a stray tee shot and in litigious America I am sure they will find a way around any waiver on the ticket and the pro and the event will become liable.

Doesn’t happen in spectator sports where flying balls or pucks are a regular action of the game.

If you go to events that have any shape projectiles. Players aren’t liable and have no duty.
It’s accepted that spectators accept the risk in attending and knowing that you may get hit. Courts now always side with the venues and players.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you can make yourself heard at 300 yds you are bellowing and have good lungs! Practicalities realities.

Whilst I agree that is a long way to be heard but they play mostly in calm hot weather where the sound will travel farther. and they could temper this with raising the club above their head , anything to help would be of a benefit.

Are you saying players needn't bother shouting? Its a disgrace imo players don't shout fore even on approach shots to green sometimes.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I just wish spectators would stand up for themselves a bit rather than just meekly accept a sweaty signed glove. Would make great telly too

Yes it would be good if said spectator refused the glove and asked "why didn't you shout fore.?

That spectator seemed to think it was a big joke and just enjoyed meeting him.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Whilst I agree that is a long way to be heard but they play mostly in calm hot weather where the sound will travel farther. and they could temper this with raising the club above their head , anything to help would be of a benefit.

Are you saying players needn't bother shouting? Its a disgrace imo players don't shout fore even on approach shots to green sometimes.

I'd wager that it's not the ones watching and paying attention that are getting hit.
I've been to a few events down the years and I've always been very aware of where play is in relation to where I am. If there's a chance of a ball coming my way then I'm watching - that is what you're there for after all.
These guys are carrying the ball over 300 yards. If, as a spectator, you take your eyes off the player when he swings, by the time you've focussed again the ball is on its way. It's very hard to pinpoint the trajectory of a golf ball if you haven't seen all the flight.
People still get hit when players do shout.
The crowd noise makes it hard to pick up a shout from over 300 yards away. Unless you're paying attention.
I'm not saying that players shouldn't shout because they should.
But, I believe, people are getting hit because they're not watching rather than not being warned.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The weird thing for me is that (like most of you I guess) I’ve always found it literally instinctive to shout fore when a ball is heading to other people (whether it’s my ball or not)

To not shout would actually need me to overcome this instinct and I think it’d be really really tough thing to do

I have to assume that before being a pro every one of them shouted (and many pros still do) So whatever the motive is for certain pro’s not to shout now must be strong enough to overcome that same instinct

I really don't want to believe its in hope of a favourable bounce (no ones probably ever measured the odds but with almost limitless variables I'd guess it has just as much chance of being unfavourable)

Certain pros believe in 'something' so strongly that they are prepared to overcome their instincts and risk injury to others

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The weird thing for me is that (like most of you I guess) I’ve always found it literally instinctive to shout fore when a ball is heading to other people (whether it’s my ball or not)

To not shout would actually need me to overcome this instinct and I think it’d be really really tough thing to do

I have to assume that before being a pro every one of them shouted (and many pros still do) So whatever the motive is for certain pro’s not to shout now must be strong enough to overcome that same instinct

I really don't want to believe its in hope of a favourable bounce (no ones probably ever measured the odds but with almost limitless variables I'd guess it has just as much chance of being unfavourable)

Certain pros believe in 'something' so strongly that they are prepared to overcome their instincts and risk injury to others

Agree with all of this, I shout fore all the time whether my ball or not. Nobody is going to grumble at you for shouting fore ever. I am in the speaking profession and have a well developed voice which is useful on the golf course! I am often called into service as my partners efforts can be somewhat feeble.

Mark_Aged_42

Assistant Pro
Visit site

The pros didn't become pros overnight. They would have played at members clubs when they were younger - and shouted "Fore" when required.
So, as Slab says, they have unlearned this habit.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'd wager that it's not the ones watching and paying attention that are getting hit.
I've been to a few events down the years and I've always been very aware of where play is in relation to where I am. If there's a chance of a ball coming my way then I'm watching - that is what you're there for after all.
These guys are carrying the ball over 300 yards. If, as a spectator, you take your eyes off the player when he swings, by the time you've focussed again the ball is on its way. It's very hard to pinpoint the trajectory of a golf ball if you haven't seen all the flight.
People still get hit when players do shout.
The crowd noise makes it hard to pick up a shout from over 300 yards away. Unless you're paying attention.
I'm not saying that players shouldn't shout because they should.
But, I believe, people are getting hit because they're not watching rather than not being warned.

You make some good points , I would think it very hard to pinpoint the trajectory of a ball from 300 yards away,but even on some approach shots into greens there is sometimes still no shout, there is no excuse for not shouting, and as with slow play it will not change unless something is enforced from the PGA.

mikseymono

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I always thought that the signed glove was just a mask for the ¢100 or so inside.............as it would look a bit naff handing out money....if you are saying that it is generally just a signed glove/ball then thats poor. Also, quite agree with the instinct of shouting fore and as players they would have played alot more golf than me and must have a strong mental block on it not to shout.....so it does question by not shouting fore is probably an advantage by hitting the human wall....

M

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Would it have been OK for someone other than the player to have shouted FORE, a caddie, fellow competitor, official etc. – or is that bad form?

To come back to that original question: no, it is never ever bad form to shout FORE when you see a ball going towards people who might be in danger of hitting. It does not matter if you are a player, a caddie or an unenvolved bystander. Seeing a golf ball going towards somebody and not shouting is bad form. And actually, picking that shout of Fore up and passing it on down the line is pretty much the only way that spectators have a chance of hearing it some 300 yards down the fairway (and probably watching something other than the tee-shot entirely).

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hard to believe in this day and age it isn't enforced although it should really be common sense.

Will it take one of the pros family getting hit for some action to be taken.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hard to believe in this day and age it isn't enforced although it should really be common sense.

Will it take one of the pros family getting hit for some action to be taken.

Would the family (e.g. wife) be a ticket holder or allowed there as part of the players entourage and therefore would the same liability warnings the paying public apply? What about, god forbid, a player spraying it across a hole and hitting a fellow competitor on an adjoining hole. They certainly wouldn't be aware and not sure from experiences playing up and down type holes, whether I'd be aware the shout should it come related to me and would assume it was for the other hole. What happens if there's no shout at all and the player was seriously injured (and say forced to retire)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would the family (e.g. wife) be a ticket holder or allowed there as part of the players entourage and therefore would the same liability warnings the paying public apply? What about, god forbid, a player spraying it across a hole and hitting a fellow competitor on an adjoining hole. They certainly wouldn't be aware and not sure from experiences playing up and down type holes, whether I'd be aware the shout should it come related to me and would assume it was for the other hole. What happens if there's no shout at all and the player was seriously injured (and say forced to retire)
What about one of the lorry drivers in the tour van on the practice ground in the open just doing his job.
Jordan Spieth usually does shout but seen a legal case where even if you do shout you are still liable.