Pro Golfers and FORE

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have been a reader of this forum for a number of years however I have now signed up as I would like to know other users views on the ‘FORE’ issue.

If you were watching the Honda Classic 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] round and witnessed Justin Thomas’s drive at the 12[SUP]th[/SUP] hole hitting a spectator on the head, you will most likely have heard a rather sickening noise as the ball struck the gentleman as, unusually, the camera and microphones were close by.

Unfortunately there was no shout of FORE from the tee, by anyone.
Would it have been OK for someone other than the player to have shouted FORE, a caddie, fellow competitor, official etc. – or is that bad form?

Do I attend a golf tournament at my own risk? Do I have any legal redress or rights if I get hit by a golf ball, and do these differ if the player has shouted FORE or not? Or does the player and tour rely upon their insurance to cover any unfortunate consequences?

Is it the end of a media career if a reporter or interviewer were to ask “Why didn’t you shout FORE!?”

Why can’t the Tours do something proactive about this? Will they await a disability or death before exercising blame management corporate rhetoric? What should they do?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Whilst I think they, or someone in the tee should shout fore. I think that as spectators you're also responsible for keeping an eye out for stray balls.

Pretty sure all event tickets state that it's at your own risk.

Side note, whilst said in apparent jest, I overheard more than one spectator comment that he should fall over and pay on the ground to see what he coukd get.....

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Clearly the incident, and subsequent discussions, resulted in a change with JT given his behaviour in the final round.

It's an often discussed topic; with a driver it's rare that shout will even register with the target audience but the selfish attitude to approach shots is generally agreed to be appalling. It's been highlighted that you need to be a strong individual to make a stand and shout for a playing partners approach!
Same thing with not marking balls that can assist around the green on the expectation that others would do the same for you (but without the injury risk obviously)

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think it was Pat Perez who did a similar thing last year, on a righ to left dog leg and hit a lad on his cheek bone just under his eye. It was all Perez could do to go over and give him a glove. My idea response at the time was to make over the spectator ropes OB, and then watch them change their attitude.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
You and I enter tournaments at our own risk.
On top of that, Marshall’s are often in place at the tee and down the fairways. They communicate the direction with the paddle boards.
When I’m walking down fairways at tournaments I’ll keep my eye on the tee box as to when people are teeing off so to not get hit.

If your a pro you don’t want to be shouting fore and the guy on the opposite fairway mid swing hears your shout.

We play golf, they play professional golf. There is a stark contrast between the games, the prizes, the time it takes and insurances.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
It's been highlighted that you need to be a strong individual to make a stand and shout for a playing partners approach!
I don't understand this. Shouting FORE is a health & safety issue, and nobody should resent others making the call on their behalf. (Not that they shouldn't also call, of course).

Certainly at my club, anyone will make the shout regardless of who played the errant shot. Quite often more than one person will shout FORE.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Do you think they don't shout Fore as they may prefer the ball hitting the gallery and stopping its flight going any further off the fairway, rather than the crowd parting and giving it a clear route???

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You and I enter tournaments at our own risk.
On top of that, Marshall’s are often in place at the tee and down the fairways. They communicate the direction with the paddle boards.
When I’m walking down fairways at tournaments I’ll keep my eye on the tee box as to when people are teeing off so to not get hit.

If your a pro you don’t want to be shouting fore and the guy on the opposite fairway mid swing hears your shout.

Disagree, its no different to one of them taking a shot when a cheer from a nearby green goes up. Personally i think it should be a shot penalty at least for hitting someone and not shouting.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Disagree, its no different to one of them taking a shot when a cheer from a nearby green goes up. Personally i think it should be a shot penalty at least for hitting someone and not shouting.
I agree with this.
New players see this and think if the pros don’t shout why should I?.
One shot pen if you do it again in the same tournament DQ.

Its one of those things that need to be seen to be done. IMO.

As for putting some other player off , that’s why they wait to play if another player is in the vicinity.

How many times have you seen pros hit a spectator and it stops the ball going in the woods or water, oob etc , I think they don’t shout on purpose.

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's an often discussed topic; with a driver it's rare that shout will even register with the target audience

Heard this given as a reason/excuse before. 300 yds, speed of sound etc but not sure I buy it. If players were to point/wave with their club to show the ball is heading into the crowd and a spectator is hit through not paying attention then so be it. Obvious limitation is dog legs or other blind drives.

Also seems to be more of PGA tour thing whereas fore is often shouted on the European tour.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Heard this given as a reason/excuse before. 300 yds, speed of sound etc but not sure I buy it. If players were to point/wave with their club to show the ball is heading into the crowd and a spectator is hit through not paying attention then so be it. Obvious limitation is dog legs or other blind drives.

Also seems to be more of PGA tour thing whereas fore is often shouted on the European tour.

If you can make yourself heard at 300 yds you are bellowing and have good lungs! Practicalities realities.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
If you do a search for the PGA tour duties of a Marshall. There’s a few I read through AT&T, Honda classic a champions tour one, an official PGA tour one. It’s the duty of a course Marshall. Particularly those in the landing area to alert spectators. Those in the landing area will know, as the tee box Marshall will flag the direction.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sadly at some point I can see someone getting seriously injured by a stray tee shot and in litigious America I am sure they will find a way around any waiver on the ticket and the pro and the event will become liable.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
If you do a search for the PGA tour duties of a Marshall. There’s a few I read through AT&T, Honda classic a champions tour one, an official PGA tour one. It’s the duty of a course Marshall. Particularly those in the landing area to alert spectators. Those in the landing area will know, as the tee box Marshall will flag the direction.

Doesn't absolve a player of his responsibilities does it?
Does the Marshall know of the potential consequences if they fail to spot an errant drive? So in the event of being injured, you could sue the player, the marshall, the Tour?

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Doesn't absolve a player of his responsibilities does it?
Does the Marshall know of the potential consequences if they fail to spot an errant drive? So in the event of being injured, you could sue the player, the marshall, the Tour?

Well it does, as the Marshalls will let spectators know..

Somewhere on the ticket to an event will be “spectators enter at their OWN risk” . Making the tour, Marshall’s, players and car park attendants not liable.

You need to disassociate from what happens on the tour.
We are poxy club choppers, and are liable and responsible so therefore wise for us to shout fore.