Stop or Fore

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A playing companion yesterday ready to play blind 150yd approach shot. I go to check when green clear - see three of four ball walk to next tee - and my buddy can see them go. But one stays on green - probably replaying a missed short putt - but my mate can’t see him. I turn and my buddy is clearly just about to play - and I shout STOP - but much too too late for him to stop and he plays and my loud call distracts him and he plays a poor shot.

Should I have just let him play given good chance that from 150yd he’ll be hitting the green and call FORE if the shot is heading for guy on green?

D

Deleted member 3432

Don't know what you should have done but what sort of idiot hangs around on the green practice putting knowing it is a blind approach and your mates have walked off. On a busy Saturday as well!

He may have learn something if your mates ball had cracked him on his bonce.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you have to shout stop, it's instinct more than anything since you wouldn't have more than half a second to think it through. If it was a non-comp round I'd let him retake his shot for me shouting over it as well. If it's a comp though you can't really.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it is too late for him to stop then surely wait until the ball has gone and shout fore.

Not many are as good as Kevin Na or Tiger Woods in being capable of stopping mid swing.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A loud shout of fore would do. The chances of hitting him at 150 are slim.

Shot fore then shout again louder.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm with Patrick, your mate can see three walk off but knows there is a fourth man somewhere but plays regardless?

He's at fault and you shouldn't even have had to warn him.

He saw players together walking to the next tee and thought it was all four and so assumed green was free.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Why did he not wait for you to give him the all clear if you'd gone to check
Good point well made sir. Surely it defeats the object. Having gone to look I'd have shouted without question back to your playing partner. Rather that than risk serious injury to someone and had they been hit and had you been in a position to see what was going on and they sued, surely you'd have been partly responsible as well and that could be an expensive mistake to make

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Good point well made sir. Surely it defeats the object. Having gone to look I'd have shouted without question back to your playing partner. Rather that than risk serious injury to someone and had they been hit and had you been in a position to see what was going on and they sued, surely you'd have been partly responsible as well and that could be an expensive mistake to make

Quite simply he played because he thought that the green would be clear as he could see players (he thought all four) standing by the next tee. He quite rightly could not imagine why one player would still be on the green when he could see players of the group standing by the next tee.

Of course there is the maybe not so minor fact that as a four ball we had been quick - and they were slower (but not slow slow) - we had waited quite often on the way round and because we knew we were fast we had taken our time to avoid squeezing up behind them all the time. This incident happened on the 16th and the weather had suddenly taken a turn for the worse - and like the rest of us he was a bit impatient and wanted to get in.

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
At the end of the day, it's the players responsibility to make sure it's safe to play.
If he can't count 4 players, then he should wait or ask you, he shouldn't just assume.