Pro golfers spitting

Gopher

Club Champion
Visit site
Why do some golfers feel they have to spit on the way round?

Watching Kevin Kisner on the play-off and about every 10 steps down the fairway he has to let loose with a great big globule of phlegm... why..? They aren't exactly athletic.. is it chewing tobacco..?

Tiger has done it in the past. If my ball landed in that.. yeeeuch.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why do some golfers feel they have to spit on the way round?

Watching Kevin Kisner on the play-off and about every 10 steps down the fairway he has to let loose with a great big globule of phlegm... why..? They aren't exactly athletic.. is it chewing tobacco..?

Tiger has done it in the past. If my ball landed in that.. yeeeuch.

I'm more disgusted when my ball lands in goose or worse poo tbh

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's seems to be a culture thing. What I mean by that is its just the Americans. This subject came up on golf wrx forum and all the yanks said they didn't see the problem. All the Europeans and ozzy's said it was rank

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's seems to be a culture thing. What I mean by that is its just the Americans. This subject came up on golf wrx forum and all the yanks said they didn't see the problem. All the Europeans and ozzy's said it was rank
I think there must be something in this. I can't remember seeing a ET player ever spitting, or a European, aussie etc doing it in the USA.

Never seen someone spit whilst playing with them either.

Unpleasant, unnecessary and in the current climate very poor towards your fellow pros, caddies etc

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
I think there must be something in this. I can't remember seeing a ET player ever spitting, or a European, aussie etc doing it in the USA.

Never seen someone spit whilst playing with them either.

Unpleasant, unnecessary and in the current climate very poor towards your fellow pros, caddies etc

Sergio spat into the cup in 2007 after missing an easy putt.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sergio spat into the cup in 2007 after missing an easy putt.
Sounds crazy but it almost makes it "not as bad". He done it as a bad gesture or out of temper. Still stupid I know but the americans walk around flobbing all over the place without a second thought.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s not a good look at all but the chances of a ball landing in it before it’s evaporated/soaked in/dispersed by wind must be unbelievably small. Then add in that you’re not going to touch your ball apart from on the green once it’s flown through the air at massive speed, bounced and been in contact with products used on greens etc. then i guess it has no real impact.

Mandofred

Visit site
At this time of the year I blow my nose about every 2 seconds (slight exaggeration) when I'm outside walking/golfing....and then you have smokers throwing cigs all over the course....people throwing banana skins everywhere.....guys peeing behind every other tree.....and as mentioned, goose crap all of the place. Seems like spitting is a minor thing to worry about. Now granted.....the pro's don't have to worry about those things very much:).

evemccc

Visit site
Sounds crazy but it almost makes it "not as bad". He done it as a bad gesture or out of temper. Still stupid I know but the americans walk around flobbing all over the place without a second thought.

It’s a culture thing...spitting was (is?) as common as muck in football when I grew up playing it and watched it — humans are pretty simple and lots of things are just ‘follow-my-leader’ kids esp but some
Adults too

If v few ET or Australian golfers do it but many US PGA pros do, then it’s pretty much a cultural practice in US golf that

Think it’s rank personally

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't understand why anyone needs to spit. Surely if you have a build up of saliva that you can't swallow that's a medical problem and you should see a doctor? But it's seemingly too common for it to be that. It really confuses me. It's more common still with footballers, but I've played competitive football for a decade and never felt any instinct to spit on the floor.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site

I don't agree - he made a conscious decision to do that, and knowing that other players would have to pick their balls out of there later - he had no consideration for that - all he was bothered about was that the hole didn't let his ball drop.

When that happened I lost all respect for him that I had left (not much) and struggled to be happy he won the Masters after Seve and Jose.

He has been a petulant little child for most of his career.

Shoes, Tiger, spitting, bunkers.

Last edited:

evemccc

Visit site
Saw a Fanny Sunesson interview with Andrew Cotter where she talks glowingly of all the golfers shes caddied for....with the clear exception of Garcia

She can’t stand him

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Does it really matter, it’s a golf course which is outside and huge so why does it need to be an issue. Kevin Kisner also chews tobacco which is why he will ‘spit’ often. I’m not sure it’s something anybody should really care about. Perhaps send him a letter if your so offended by his behaviour

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does it really matter, it’s a golf course which is outside and huge so why does it need to be an issue. Kevin Kisner also chews tobacco which is why he will ‘spit’ often. I’m not sure it’s something anybody should really care about. Perhaps send him a letter if your so offended by his behaviour
Because there's absolutely no need for it??

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
It’s not a good look at all but the chances of a ball landing in it before it’s evaporated/soaked in/dispersed by wind must be unbelievably small. Then add in that you’re not going to touch your ball apart from on the green once it’s flown through the air at massive speed, bounced and been in contact with products used on greens etc. then i guess it has no real impact.

The chances aren't massive, but the virus likes hard surfaces.
The reality is though, that no chance is a better situation than a small chance.
All they have to do is refrain from spitting during the pandemic.