Present for my dad...course help please

Ant82

Visit site
Hi there,
I’ve just signed up and looking for some help please.
I’m after advice on a really nice course to play on up to 75 miles radius of Birmingham...Something special, highly rated..

I’m looking to get my dad for Father’s Day 18 holes at a great course with some of his mates.
He’s a keen golfer, handicap of 11/12 I think.
Budget up to £200 for 3 people

Any help would be really appreciated
Cheers

D

Deleted Member 1156

You might struggle a bit with your budget. Lots of good courses for sub £70 a head but if you want 'something special' you are probably looking at over £100 a head.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Delamere Forest is £85 a round on their website and 75 miles from Birmingham. Is special and worth the trip in my opinion

The Dog.

Visit site
Beau Desert is good and may fall within budget. Not sure of their prices these days.

You also have Sherwood Forest and Hollinwell within that radius and both are excellent. Again, may be tight on budget.

I’d also suggest Frilford Heath near Oxford and if budget allows, Marquess course at Woburn.
Hope this helps.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You might struggle a bit with your budget. Lots of good courses for sub £70 a head but if you want 'something special' you are probably looking at over £100 a head.

"Something special" without additional context, is hard to gauge as it's so subjective.

For most people on here it would probably mean a top 100 (or best of the rest) course, and I agree with you then, that £65 a head isn't going to go very far.

However, there are a lot of very nice courses that probably are within that budget, depending on what the requirement of "something special" really is.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Beau, Hollinwell and Enville would be the three to me, perhaps Little Aston if you can get on as well but they'll all be top to breaking your budget.

If those are out of budget then Edgbaston in centre of Birmingham, Tadmarton Heath in Banbury, Kings Norton (I've not played) or Trentham Park nr Stoke would be very nice days out at more reasonable green fees.

Are your Dad and friends members anywhere i.e. do they have handicaps and perhaps county cards (edited to add that it looks like they will so look at county card rates if they don't mind playing mid-week). I ask as that would reduce the price at a lot of places or you could look at Golf Empire to see if they could enter a comp as you tend to get a good deal on course and food thrown in. Doesn't matter if you're rubbish, still just playing as a group of 4 together just with others on the course for the same purpose. This may be particularly good if they qualify as seniors (think 55 plus) as they get great deals.

E.g. Senior Gents Open AM AM :: Beau Desert Golf Club (bdgc.co.uk) So Beau goes to £200 for 4 plus food rather than £320 for just green fees.

Other one is do you have to pay for everybody or are they happy to chip in some for themselves.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Entering an open is a good idea to remain within budget. Beau Desert's opens get fully booked very quickly for this reason. Maybe your dad would prefer a more relaxed day with mates rather than a competition. I mentioned Beau, Whittington and Enville as I have played them all, but I have another suggestion for a very enjoyable day.
Longcliffe Golf Club. From Brum - up the M42 to Ashby de la Zouche, A512 towards Loughborough, cross M1 and first right to Golf Course. Well within the 50 mile range.
Mon to Fri - £45 a head. You could add petrol and beer money and keep below £200.
A really excellent course.
Anyone reading this - put it on your list. Group bookings of 12 or more - very good deals to be had - close to M1 J23.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I wonder what your definition of "really nice course" is? As it will differ greatly from person to person. Where does your dad "normally play?

Some good suggestions above... some additional ones below! Was about to check the distance for Woburn then had a shock when I saw the prices! £70 a head buys less than it used to!

The Worcestershire -well on budget, really pretty place to play

The Oxfordshire - different and will look impressive, just about on budget, close to the Motorway

Ross-on-Wye Well on budget, very nice in the summer, close to the Motorway