Preferred Pies

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Love either a steak pie (without kidney) or chicken and mushroom.

I played in an open at Sherwood Forest a couple of months ago, which included food and they served up a slice of steak pie which was solid slow cooked beef. It was absolutely lovely.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A while ago I played in a big society game at Crowborough Beacon. Meal options at the servery were steak and ale pie or fish pie. Once they saw what was on offer, it's fair to say that a significant number of people had both. Absolutely awesome. The chef there is brilliant. That's where I was introduced to Black Bomber cheddar cheese. Where's the drooling emoji when you need it lol.

For non-homemade pies in my area, it's hard to beat Kentish Mayde. Absolutely full of meat and not too much gravy. Favourites are Steak and Ale, Steak and Stilton and, of course, Chicken Ham and Leek. (y)

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Homemade is my mums steak pie, closely followed by my own chicken and leek pie.

Pieminister is always a favourite of mine and my missus if we're on the lookout for something cheap and cheerful that just hits the spot.

A do love a proper pork pie though, slightly soft pastry and plenty of jelly. My auntie used to bring me some from a shop in Formby, I cant remember the name now though...

Locally to me Hamlets in Garstang do a phenomenal pork pie.

My dads the man to ask on this though. He used to know pretty much every pie shop in the North West. He was encyclopaedic with his knowledge!

"The one on the corner just off the high Street in Billinge? That's..."

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A country pub near me used to do a game, Jesus that was good!

That’s Sunday lunch sorted ?

If we’re talking cold snack pie, there used to be a proper pork and pickle pie that had a lattice finish with proper pickle, they disappeared - crush my faith in humanity!

RichA

Visit site
Difficult to see past post #1 really.
Steak and ale in shortcrust. All I can add is that individual pies always taste better than a slice of pie.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
My mum could make a decent pie back in the day, but even so, nothing topped Chicken Pie when it came up on the school dinner menu.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do love a good pie, If eating out, Chicken and Leek is No1, then Steak/Steak and Ale both preferably with mashed potatoes, followed by Apple Pie (with custard), love a home made lemon Meringue preferably still hot, but that apparently doesnt meet the thread definition of a pie

I do make a very nice chicken, leek, mushroom, and bacon pie filling but only have a top on it

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Steak and kidney for me. Loved the ones made by local bakers Simmonds in Hertfordshire, great hangover cure.

Not something uou see often up here, the wife makes a mean one though.

Reactions: Val

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Apple Pie, WITH NO CINNAMON, covered in mounds of extra thick double cream ............................. and then a bit more cream!

Red devil

Visit site
Homemade is my mums steak pie, closely followed by my own chicken and leek pie.

Pieminister is always a favourite of mine and my missus if we're on the lookout for something cheap and cheerful that just hits the spot.

A do love a proper pork pie though, slightly soft pastry and plenty of jelly. My auntie used to bring me some from a shop in Formby, I cant remember the name now though...

Locally to me Hamlets in Garstang do a phenomenal pork pie.

My dads the man to ask on this though. He used to know pretty much every pie shop in the North West. He was encyclopaedic with his knowledge!

"The one on the corner just off the high Street in Billinge? That's..."
Those pies in Formby will be from Satterthwaites bakery in Crosby. Top draw they are too