Preferred Pies

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Heaven is Hollands meat and potato but they are a rare find in the NE. (It's been so many years since I've had one that the quality may have lapsed. I hope not)

Next up is steak and kidney but it has to be the real deal, not cheapo filling.

A proper pie is a fine thing but sadly too many are not up to the task.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220812-160509~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20220812-160509~2.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 10

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Many years ago in my teens there was a local factory made steak and kidney pies.
Stuffed with meat between Top and bottom, and scrumptious. Now long gone and I've never found anything anywhere near it since.
Now they have loads of gravy and air?
How things have improved!!!!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Funny…but I was just thinking ‘pies‘ this morning as we walked in Alresford and the heat and eating outside reminded me (randomly) of eating a pie outside a pie shop in Port Douglas, Queensland. The pie - it was a steak pie - was great (the shop was famed for its pies), Port Douglas was even better. For anyone going there, the cafe was Mocka’s.

Last edited:

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Best two savoury pies I've ever eaten were a steak and stilton one served up in a pub in Devon, and a rabbit pie from a transport cafe near Tunbridge Wells.
Fruit pie? Aunt Bessie's Morello cherry. But they've stopped making them now. They were bloody gorgeous...???

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It's been said but a Scotch pie tops my list, mainly because it's designed to be eaten (& is delicious) hot or cold

No surprise then that a Christmas mince pie is top for my 'sweet pie' for same reason

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Steak pie is my favourites closely followed by ham and leek.

I had a fray bentos steak pie last year and it was 99% gravy

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Chicken, ham and leek ...

As regards a pie having to be encased in pastry, where does that leave your Shepherd's pie, or Cottage pie? (But rest assured, I am firmly in the camp that says a 'stew with a hat on' is not a pie).

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Get thee down to Mowzel (Mousehole) in Cornwall on Tom Bawcocks Eve (23 December) to sample the famous 'Stargazy Pie'. Made with seven types of fish.
Handsome Pie that is!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Now working where I do, a Melton Pork pie but no top, blue cheese on top instead, a wonderful lunchtime delight.
Melton Mowbray is to pies what the Reeperbahn is to ladies of the night. I was absolutely gutted as last weekend was piefest in Melton and I was double booked.
pies in no particular order.
Steak pudding.
meat and potato.
Missis Ts home made cheese and onion pie. And for the record the nice lady on a cheese stall at Bury market said it has to be 3 different cheeses. If anyone loves a good pie. The best place for a pie meal in the country is https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj7-ZWVmML5AhW_8LsIHcn5AaAQ_Bd6BQiAARAD&url=https://www.madorourkes.com/&usg=AOvVaw1XRHkwvLKBSjmt6hbXLwOm
sweet lord the desperate Dan pie is challenge. Check out the menu.