Pre-shot Routine

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Keep up with the group in front - simple as that

That we agree on!

But the guy with the medium-long PSR is not necessarily the reason for the loss of position!

And the 3-capper I play with, who has a deliberate medium-long PSR is generally not the cause, through his PSR, of any delays. There's more delay caused by the differing distances the group hit - where we all walk to the first ball (normally mine), then 30 yards to the next etc! Hitting similar distances really does help pace of play!

So if you said either of us needed to speed up our PSR, the reply would be something along the lines of '<Sex/Travel>! Walk faster; I have fewer shots this way! That saves much more time!'!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I haven't detected that. I would argue that everyone SHOULD have a PSR as proper preparation will help you execute the shot better and (hopefully) lead to fewer shots which obviously speeds up play. 15-30 seconds is ample.
And with that advice, the thread would have ended as everyone would have agreed... North Mimms is right that the discussion has been flawed from the start...:D

D

Deleted Member 1156

And with that advice, the thread would have ended as everyone would have agreed... North Mimms is right that the discussion has been flawed from the start...:D

Well....you should have asked for my advice 160 posts ago :D

D

Deleted member 15344

That we agree on!

But the guy with the medium-long PSR is not necessarily the reason for the loss of position!

And the 3-capper I play with, who has a deliberate medium-long PSR is generally not the cause, through his PSR, of any delays. There's more delay caused by the differing distances the group hit - where we all walk to the first ball (normally mine), then 30 yards to the next etc! Hitting similar distances really does help pace of play!

So if you said either of us needed to speed up our PSR, the reply would be something along the lines of '<Sex/Travel>! Walk faster; I have fewer shots this way! That saves much more time!'!

And as i have said -have witnessed where FC's elongated PSR have caused slow play and cause us to lose ground on the group in front - what then ? Am i ok to ask them to speed up things ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
And as i have said -have witnessed where FC's elongated PSR have caused slow play and cause us to lose ground on the group in front - what then ? Am i ok to ask them to speed up things ?

The proper (and diplomatic) way is to state as you get to the next tee... 'Guys. We are losing ground, so need to speed up a bit. Anything we can do to speed up would be appreciated.'. There's an escalation process, should that not succeed, too.

D

Deleted member 15344

The proper (and diplomatic) way is to state as you get to the next tee... 'Guys. We are losing ground, so need to speed up a bit. Anything we can do to speed up would be appreciated.'. There's an escalation process, should that not succeed, too.

If someone is being slow then i will subtly let them know

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If someone is being slow then i will subtly let them know

I'm not sure I can believe that!:rolleyes:

It took some time, and assistance, for me to get the 'diplomacy' right too! :whistle:

I'm pretty sure many folk would not appreciate being told, even subtly, during a Medal round that they are struggling in that they need to change the way they are coping!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have a fairly elaborate pre shot routine. I have no idea how long it takes. I haven't timed it. It might drive people nuts, I have no idea. No one has ever said anything to me about it. If they did, I'd still do it anyway.

I can play 18 holes in less than two hours on my own(boring!).

We were round as a 4 ball this morning (saturday) in less than 4 hours (at the 4 hour mark we had packed away, and were sat in the bar), and probably lost 15 odd minutes waiting for the group in front, who were waiting for... Etc.

I shot 76.

I'm not changing my routine any time soon.

Looking for balls is the biggest time waster in my view. And yesterday, due to very poor driving, this was my fault. Big time.

D

Deleted member 15344

It took some time, and assistance, for me to get the 'diplomacy' right too! :whistle:

I'm pretty sure many folk would not appreciate being told, even subtly, during a Medal round that they are struggling in that they need to change the way they are coping!

If people are holding up other golfers and causing our group to lose holes then yes I would tell the offenders because it will effect the whole field and not just me - I'm sorry if that would offend them but sometimes people just need told.

It's happened at our club where people have been told to either speed up during a round or play later in the day as their slow play effected the whole field.

D

Deleted member 15344

I have a fairly elaborate pre shot routine. I have no idea how long it takes. I haven't timed it. It might drive people nuts, I have no idea. No one has ever said anything to me about it. If they did, I'd still do it anyway.

We were round as a 4 ball this morning (saturday) in less than 4 hours (at the 4 hour mark we had packed away, and were sat in the bar), and probably lost 15 odd minutes waiting for the group in front, who were waiting for... Etc.

I shot 76.

Looking for balls is the biggest time waster in my view. And yesterday, due to very poor driving, this was my fault. Big time.

It appears your pace of play is no problem so you won't have any issues :thup:

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its not my attitude to people who are trying to do things but in them trying to do things are holding up play -

You appear to continuely miss the point the miss so i will say it again - i have no problems with people trying to improve themselves on the golf course and trying various methods to do so "AS LONG AS IT DOESNT EFFECT THE PACE OF PLAY" - when it does effect/affect the pace of play then i do have a problem with them.

And my last comment seems to be very valid for me. I dont do any pre comp preparation

I'm not missing the point at all, I know what you are saying. But it seems if it doesn't fit your pace of play you pipe up!

so your last line, your saying that when you play in scratch comps, county events and your pro ams, you don't hit balls or hit any putts before you go out and play? Is that correct?

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
That we agree on!

Well dont walk to each others ball for each shot. You can talk between shots, that is the biggest resson for slow play every player walking to each others ball for rvery shot. On the green would you walk to each persons ball beforecyhey putted..... well why do it elsewhere.

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm not missing the point at all, I know what you are saying. But it seems if it doesn't fit your pace of play you pipe up!

so your last line, your saying that when you play in scratch comps, county events and your pro ams, you don't hit balls or hit any putts before you go out and play? Is that correct?

My pace of play is to keep up with the group in front - yours ?

and yes you are correct

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

I shot 76.

Chris your pre shot routine tends to be telling everyone how badly you are playing, and what trouble you are about to hit in to. At least no one can accuse you of being positive.:whistle::)

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk

No point mincing Words. Say its Slow, say Why, tell them to get a move on. There really is no need to fanny round. By all means if there is a lost ball, well let the group behind through straight away if you cant find it straight away. Eitiquette is sadly lacking in many clubs, i might be blunt but i wont delay others or allow those in my group to do so, if they do i simlly tell them ifthey dont listen i tell them im letting the clubhouse know they are slow and causing hold ups.friend or not get a grip.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My pace of play is to keep up with the group in front - yours ?

and yes you are correct

I therefore bow down to a genius...........:whistle:

my pace of play is what it is on the day as you can't control what others do, only yourself. I tend not to banter between shots as I believe this can hold play up, I've played in a club match where one player would get to his ball and finish his banter before even contemplating his next shot, so overly long PSR's don't necessarily mean that it's a cause of slow play, it can be a number of things.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Well dont walk to each others ball for each shot. You can talk between shots, that is the biggest resson for slow play every player walking to each others ball for rvery shot. On the green would you walk to each persons ball beforecyhey putted..... well why do it elsewhere.

3 of the 4 are normally pretty much middle of the fairway!

Much less of a problem if in spread across the course - left/right rough and fairway. But no way around the 'problem' in this case - where all 'accurate' but different distances.

D

Deleted member 15344

I therefore bow down to a genius...........:whistle:

my pace of play is what it is on the day as you can't control what others do, only yourself. I tend not to banter between shots as I believe this can hold play up, I've played in a club match where one player would get to his ball and finish his banter before even contemplating his next shot, so overly long PSR's don't necessarily mean that it's a cause of slow play, it can be a number of things.

You don't speak to your FC between shots ?!

Your pace of play as a group should be keeping up with the group in front of you - that I believe is accepted pace of play within all clubs and pro tournaments. If you're not keeping up with play then your group will be creating gaps in the field and more than likely holding up players behind you.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I shot 76.

what does this elaborate PSR include? I have no idea what you could include outside of doing the Keegan Bradley dance.