• After a swing change

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • FFS just hit the thing

Votes: 12 37.5%

• Total voters

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Everyone has a pre-shot routine - unless you do something completely different on every shot?? It doesn't have to be something you've manufactured. Mine is just what comes naturally, really. I stand behind the ball looking down towards the target so I can get my line*, then I take my grip on the club in this position. Then step in - I have one practise swing next to the ball - just to get a feel of what I want to do with the swing really. (If I completely duff it into the ground or something I might have a second practise swing but 99% of the time it's just one.) Then I step forward and hit the shot.

Some wouldn't call that a pre-shot routine as it's very basic, but I do those things before every shot, so effectively it is one. After I had a lesson back in January, I tried changing the PSR a little, to help me remember what he was trying to get me to do with a little takeaway rehearsal at the ball, but I've now gone back to what feels natural and comfortable. It's just a mental thing to make you feel ready to hit the shot after all, so might as well just do what feels comfortable.

*one thing I am trying to do is that popular method of picking a spot a couple of feet in front of the ball on your line to make sure your alignment is good when you step in, but sometimes I forget this part as it doesn't come naturally yet. 😄

ntommo

Visit site
One of the biggest changes I've made in recent times is trying to do a consistent PSR. Basically weigh things up behind the ball, target, lie, conditions then a couple of smooth practice swings then step across the line and execute the shot. Hardest thing is to do it consistently over every shot. Definitely will improve you

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
What do you consider a pre-shot routine?

I ensure the basics are correct, grip, ball position and alignment but hardly ever take a practice swing. Easily get the whole lot done within the the recommended 40 seconds.
That's basically what I'm talking about being on autopilot. Is my ball position right? Is my swing they way I've been taught in my lessons?
I was thinking after my most reason disaster I've not got a process.
That's what I'm going to work on going forward. Going to try a few range sessions to hone a system and take it from there.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not saying it is slow but 90 seconds for 40-50 shots per round, not including putts, is over an hour! Little things soon add up

18 x 3mins looking for errant tee shots is also 54 mins…. If you stick to the 3 mins.

A good solid pre shot routine can be less that 20 seconds, I’d be surprised if mine was longer than that.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Similar to others:

-Check lie/conditions
-Check yardage, pick club
Stand behind ball, pick a target, pick a spot in front of ball to line up to
-Address ball, line up against the spot, couple of waggles/looks, hit

Played with a chap recently who doesn’t really do any of that, guesstimates a yardage, picks a club, has an look and hits it. Told me in a jokey but probably serious way that my pre shot routine takes too long. Disagreed with him. Timed it at 30-40 seconds. I reckon his takes 10-20 seconds.

Without doing that, picking a line, checking a yardage etc, I’d be mis-hitting, hitting short/long/wide on most shots and therefore adding a number of additional shots to my round, not to mention looking for lost balls, how much time would that add?. Daft to accuse someone of being slow. Might’ve been gamesmanship.

Another chap I’ve played with in the past is really slow, counted 2 practice swings and 13 waggles once, crazy.

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes to PSR, similar to others already mentioned. I have one for putting which I have to force myself to do as I am more consistent when I do it but takes less than 30/40 seconds and can be done while others are putting, lining up etc

Springveldt

Visit site
I guess everyone has some sort of PSR but mine isn't consistent. Sometimes I'll take no practice swing, others I might have 2. I'll usually pick a target as I'm walking up to the ball, before I've even got a club out.

The only consistent thing is I'll check my GPS watched before picking a club. Sometimes I'll zap the flag with my range finder, others times I won't. Sometimes I'll stand behind the ball and lift my club to get a line to my target and pick a spot a couple of inches in front of the ball to align to, others I'll just aim right of the flag and expect to hit it straight or pull it.

I'm probably more consistent with my putting routine though.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Me too.

My PSR is to stand a foot or so to the side of where I would address the ball, take a look at the target, then 2 practice swings, making sure I'm making a nice contact with the turf, and am getting right through on the shot. Then step to the ball and swing.

The end result is normally pretty good contact and distance, but the line can be off by 15-20 yards. I should really take another look at the target before hitting, something to work on.
It’s how you look at the target.
Pros only move their head and eyes to peek at the pin.
Most ams move the shoulders as well that causes problems for me.

I pick a spot in front of my ball but at adress the spot looks like it’s going miles left.
So I subconsciously aim right.
It’s a brain / eyesight conundrum I havnt sorted in over 40 yrs golfing.

Mike Malaska on YouTube does a good video about it!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s how you look at the target.
Pros only move their head and eyes to peek at the pin.
Most ams move the shoulders as well that causes problems for me.

I pick a spot in front of my ball but at adress the spot looks like it’s going miles left.
So I subconsciously aim right.
It’s a brain / eyesight conundrum I havnt sorted in over 40 yrs golfing.

Mike Malaska on YouTube does a good video about it!
Have you tried just aiming further left? 😄 My problem I've noticed a few times lately, is doing my PSR, I think my alignment is all fine and dandy, then at the last second my brain says "hey you'll probably slice this" and I move my left foot back an inch before swinging which messes it all up! :ROFLMAO:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you tried just aiming further left? 😄 My problem I've noticed a few times lately, is doing my PSR, I think my alignment is all fine and dandy, then at the last second my brain says "hey you'll probably slice this" and I move my left foot back an inch before swinging which messes it all up! :ROFLMAO:
If only it was that simple!

I know the spot is in line with the flag.
But as soon as I adress the ball the spot looks to be going miles left.
It’s a dominant eye thing.😳

But your brain is telling you “ you need to aim more right”
So I aim over the spot and push the ball because my brain has overridden my swing.

On a good day it’s not a problem ,but a bad day can be poor.
I think I am aiming ok put the club on the ground in line with my feet to check and I’m aiming right of the green.🙈

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i used to just walk up to the ball and hit it, no practice swing or anything. my coach was always trying to get me onto a PSR. i relented a couple of years ago and it did help. i take two full practice swings, pick and alignment spot a few feet in front of the ball and then go. it has helped, my irons now are far more consistent.

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
Not saying it is slow but 90 seconds for 40-50 shots per round, not including putts, is over an hour! Little things soon add up
I’m happy with that. I probably spend the same amount of time on putts. At the end of the day I’ve gone out to play golf. And the PSR, aiming, etc is all part of playing golf. I get that some people are just too slow but I do rebel about this idea of getting round as fast as possible. That’s a perfectly good aim for a marathon but not for a round of golf. I’m always ready to play when it’s my turn.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have been working on mine, I just have a few swings. I pick the line find a spot in front of the ball, line the club up. Raise the toe, point at the belt buckle look at the target and the sim spot and check then hit …. I am trying to clear my head and be confident with the club I have and just think target.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’m happy with that. I probably spend the same amount of time on putts. At the end of the day I’ve gone out to play golf. And the PSR, aiming, etc is all part of playing golf. I get that some people are just too slow but I do rebel about this idea of getting round as fast as possible. That’s a perfectly good aim for a marathon but not for a round of golf. I’m always ready to play when it’s my turn.
I agree. If I am playing, especially in a competition I want to be trying to do the best I can and if that involves a PSR then I think it's a perfectly acceptable integral part of playing each shot

sunshine

Visit site
must admit...maybe I should have a proper PSR but I tend to pull the club, stand behind the ball, pick a target, find a point a few inches ahead of the ball where to aim, have a half hearted swish before addressing the ball and hitting the damned thing.

in a way i guess this is a PSR, but it probably could be structured in a way that was more beneficial to my overall game.
This is clearly a pre shot routine 😀

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Having had another lesson this afternoon…the PSR my coach is having me work on is actually what I need to groove; hitting the ball is simply the outcome of my PSR in that the swing and strike are a consequence of my PSR…all a bit odd but it seems to work. Let’s see what happens when I take it onto the course tomorrow.