• After a swing change

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • FFS just hit the thing

Votes: 12 37.5%

• Total voters

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
I know a lot of golfers think it contributes to slow play but do many of you have one. I ask as I've realised I don't have one.
I played on Sunday and having recently sorted my driving which I've been using a mental check list because it's newish but my iron play was rubbish. I thought about it after the round and realised I was just in auto pilot with my irons.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
must admit...maybe I should have a proper PSR but I tend to pull the club, stand behind the ball, pick a target, find a point a few inches ahead of the ball where to aim, have a half hearted swish before addressing the ball and hitting the damned thing.

in a way i guess this is a PSR, but it probably could be structured in a way that was more beneficial to my overall game.

PaulMdj

Visit site
must admit...maybe I should have a proper PSR but I tend to pull the club, stand behind the ball, pick a target, find a point a few inches ahead of the ball where to aim, have a half hearted swish before addressing the ball and hitting the damned thing.

in a way i guess this is a PSR, but it probably could be structured in a way that was more beneficial to my overall game.
This for me as well.

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
I do. Not that I’m by any means a great player, but I think I’d be worse without it.

I haven’t gone so far as to time it.

What I do - behind tne ball, target just a few inches ahead, club down square, rehearse first bit of takeaway, rehearse full backswing, transition in slow motion. Back to ball, little wiggle to make sure no tension in arms (or any2here else)

Probably takes (0-90seconds). I don’t think it contributes to slow play and don’t mind if it does. I haven’t gone out for a race but to play golf. I can’t think I’ve ever noticed a group in front pulling away from me. When I go out on my own for a little practise I never rush but 18 holes I usually take about 2.5 hours.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A PSR is very important.
Mine is....
Straight back
Don't set the wrists
Pause at the top
Drive onto my front foot.

Some say that's too much but I've been doing it for so long, its almost second nature

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

This for me as well.
And me 😄

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I do. Not that I’m by any means a great player, but I think I’d be worse without it.

I haven’t gone so far as to time it.

What I do - behind tne ball, target just a few inches ahead, club down square, rehearse first bit of takeaway, rehearse full backswing, transition in slow motion. Back to ball, little wiggle to make sure no tension in arms (or any2here else)

Probably takes (0-90seconds). I don’t think it contributes to slow play and don’t mind if it does. I haven’t gone out for a race but to play golf. I can’t think I’ve ever noticed a group in front pulling away from me. When I go out on my own for a little practise I never rush but 18 holes I usually take about 2.5 hours.
Not saying it is slow but 90 seconds for 40-50 shots per round, not including putts, is over an hour! Little things soon add up

Burnsey

Visit site
Footballers take a few minutes to set up for a free kick, tennis players bounce their ball before serving, many sports have some form of pre-shot routine and golf is no exception.

We pay thousands to play these courses and whilst accepting pace of play, no pre-shot routine will see you falling behind a reasonably timed round, so do whatever helps you play better.

Should I not walk, collect my divot and replace it, in order to get round in two hours?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I know a lot of golfers think it contributes to slow play but do many of you have one. I ask as I've realised I don't have one.
I played on Sunday and having recently sorted my driving which I've been using a mental check list because it's newish but my iron play was rubbish. I thought about it after the round and realised I was just in auto pilot with my irons.
I have been listening to a number of podcasts of the metal side of the game and each and every one reiterates the importance of a consistent pre-shot routine. It doesn't have to be long and convoluted but should be the same for each shot and last the same period of time

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

This is me as well.
The only difference is I will have a practice swing while behind the ball.
Once over the ball I just hit once I am happy with aim.
Aim has always been my Achilles heel.
A PSR saves time imo as you hit less bad shots which surley helps!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Before I answer, what's the diff between a Pre Shot Routine and a series/pattern of actions a player routinely does before they hit?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I might have one, but I would need someone else to tell me what it is.

If I was to start thinking about it much, it would not help me. Whatever it is that I do, it has evolved naturally over 55 years.

HPIMG

Visit site
I have a routine with my driver just because I’ve had so many problems with that club but generally with all others I don’t think of much at all.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
There is often a swish to start, this is me focusing on one aspect of the swing. Stand behind the ball and carefully place my hands on the club. Pick out a target 3 feet in front of the ball, address it and go.

It's just the same as many of those described above, the only difference is I definitely call it a PSR. I do it for every single shot, it's my routine.

On a similar note, I played with a guy on Tuesday who was quicker than Quick Draw McGraw. Reach his ball, quick look at the watch, grab a club, bam, it was actually disconcerting. Did the lack of a PSR contribute to his high handicap, probably not, that was possibly down to being a short knocker. Was he any quicker around the course, definitely not, he liked to talk too much.

And finally, the bloke who takes up to a dozen practise swings as part of his routine, I'm not playing with him again.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
This is me as well.
The only difference is I will have a practice swing while behind the ball.
Once over the ball I just hit once I am happy with aim.
Aim has always been my Achilles heel.
Me too.

My PSR is to stand a foot or so to the side of where I would address the ball, take a look at the target, then 2 practice swings, making sure I'm making a nice contact with the turf, and am getting right through on the shot. Then step to the ball and swing.

The end result is normally pretty good contact and distance, but the line can be off by 15-20 yards. I should really take another look at the target before hitting, something to work on.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I always look at the lie the distance wind elevation plan my target and club . Pick a spot in front of the ball in line with the target and take my stance and make sure I'm aligned to it. Sometimes I mentally rehearse a feel. My routine usually lasts seconds. The only times I have a practice swing is for short shots to get a feel eg bump and runs or when playing from thick turf to feel the grass.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
PSR for every shot. Variations on a basic PSR for different shots/ranges/clubs. My PSRs generally don’t include any swing thoughts and don’t include practice swings - though at the moment on the range I’m working on building turn so thinking about that in my practice PSR. On the course it’s all about setting my mind on the shot I want to execute and then address.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am standing behind the ball with an imaginary line between me and the ball. I'll do all my assessing (wind, elevation, visualisation, practice swing etc) behind this line and once I am happy and I cross that line I am into the shot. One look at target over the ball and swing. I won't cross the line until I feel my rehearsals are feeling right and I can see the shot I want to hit clearly. It has been working really well over the last few weeks (until I tweaked my back last Sunday) and amazing when playing well in competitions how it helps you focus and remain calm and not get ahead of yourself

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What do you consider a pre-shot routine?

I ensure the basics are correct, grip, ball position and alignment but hardly ever take a practice swing. Easily get the whole lot done within the the recommended 40 seconds.