Poll: Who will complete the career Grand Slam first?

Who will complete the career Grand Slam first?

• McIlroy

Votes: 28 35.9%
  • Spieth

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • DJ

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Koepka

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Mickelson

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • None of them

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Someone else

Votes: 7 9.0%

• Total voters

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Is it the way he talks to his ball? Are you a fellow talker :unsure:?

I actually hope you are right. It is not enjoyable watching someone deteriorate in the way that he has. Do you think it is a technical issue or mental.

No expert but has to be both I think. Everyone said his technique wasn't perfect, which was part of his charm, and once that went a bit and he stopped holing about 200ft of putts then the mind must start playing up. Find him fascinating - that last round at Birkdale he was absolutely shot to pieces and then he did what he did.

And no, I don't talk much to my ball other than cries of anguish and forgiveness..

evemccc

Visit site
No expert but has to be both I think. Everyone said his technique wasn't perfect, which was part of his charm, and once that went a bit and he stopped holing about 200ft of putts then the mind must start playing up. Find him fascinating - that last round at Birkdale he was absolutely shot to pieces and then he did what he did.

And no, I don't talk much to my ball other than cries of anguish and forgiveness..

Luke Donald and Martin Kaymer are others who are shadows of their former selves

He’s young enough to get it back. Andre Agassi did in tennis...went into the high 100s at one point, before getting to the top 2 or 3 again

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
On Spieth I can't remember where I read it, some statistical analysis thing, but they were saying that when he was winning everything his putting stats were off the charts, like he couldn't possibly be expected to maintain them over a longer period. Kind of like a football team scoring way above their Expected Goals ratio. Putt for dough and all that.

I read the same thing. I also know some people looked at his putting regime in practice including Peter Finch

Maybe as suggested in the video all of the practice got in his head and damaged his body. Add in the suggestions of paralysis by analysis on the full swing others have made here and it is clear to see how his decline could have come about. Whether he can come back from it all is a big question. I think he'll win but not another major