Poll: Who will complete the career Grand Slam first?

Who will complete the career Grand Slam first?

• McIlroy

Votes: 28 35.9%
  • Spieth

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • DJ

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Koepka

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Mickelson

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • None of them

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Someone else

Votes: 7 9.0%

• Total voters

evemccc

Visit site
good research.

Won't give up on Rory just yet, but I refuse to get as invested in him as I was doing up until the US Open.

Genuine Q.

What is the huge appeal of Rory to so many? Sure he’s a great, great player. And he’s from N Ireland when the top of the sport is dominated mostly by Americans...I get that.
Is it the fact he had that v public ‘near-fairytale turn nightmare’ at Augusta, then the redemption at the US Open?

Why is he so well liked and so celebrated in the media and by the public?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Genuine Q.

What is the huge appeal of Rory to so many? Sure he’s a great, great player. And he’s from N Ireland when the top of the sport is dominated mostly by Americans...I get that.
Is it the fact he had that v public ‘near-fairytale turn nightmare’ at Augusta, then the redemption at the US Open?

Now that is a big question on here. Some real McIlroy fan boys on here who won't have a word said against him

Off for popcorn

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Genuine Q.

I think it’s being UK, an exciting player when on streaks, and someone who can play really great golf too (e.g. size of major wins), some of the memorable Ryder cup moments and being quite engaging in interviews. He also seems quite a friendly guy.

Saying that he’s definitely made mistakes over the years with some comments and actions but I don’t see these as huge.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Genuine Q.

I think it's just because he's from the UK and was world number one. It's a typical English thing to latch onto anyone from the UK and pretend they're English if they're really good at sport - just look at Andy Murray as another example. I personally have no particular affinity for Rory, just as I never did for Murray either.

sunshine

Visit site
I think it's just because he's from the UK and was world number one. It's a typical English thing to latch onto anyone from the UK and pretend they're English if they're really good at sport - just look at Andy Murray as another example. I personally have no particular affinity for Rory, just as I never did for Murray either.

I think the comparison with Andy Murray is valid and interesting.

I think Rory is extra popular primarily because he is a flair player with an aesthetically pleasing swing. A Rory drive is a thing of beauty, like a Beckham free kick or a Gower cover drive. The silky skills inspire more than grinding!
And he has always presented himself to the media as upbeat, honest, open and engaging. Pretty rare for him to act bored, surly or dismissive like many sports stars in interviews. He's also shown fragility and humility which generally people find endearing.

Grizzly

Visit site
Genuine Q.

Probably because he always comes across like a genuine, normal guy rather than another rent a sterile quote automaton?

sunshine

Visit site
Back to the OP, I think COVID is missing from the list.

- made a huge impact in debut season to collect first major
- had a dip in the summer but is now coming back stronger
- got to be the favourite for every major in 2021
- appears to have more longevity than we first thought, could be around for years

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Thanks everyone as usual, will stick something together. I now quite fancy Spieth to do it

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks everyone as usual, will stick something together. I now quite fancy Spieth to do it
Lordy o_O. Based on what? Genuinely, what do you see that suggests he can get out of this slump?

I am not saying he never will, that would be foolish, but I don't see any signs otherwise and the slump is getting longer. He is starting to resemble David Duval.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lordy o_O. Based on what? Genuinely, what do you see that suggests he can get out of this slump?

I am not saying he never will, that would be foolish, but I don't see any signs otherwise and the slump is getting longer. He is starting to resemble David Duval.
The worst thing is I'm not even sure what actually went wrong. He just totally lost it.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Speith is done. He may win or do well now and again. But he's gone full Duval, without the injury.

The way he delivered the club to the ball is similar to How Duval did in his prime, but once that feel or timing is gone. That's it! IMOOC

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Genuine Q.

Quite a few reasons.

Coming onto the scene so young, he was one of the 1st global superstars post Tiger who was dominant at 21.
He speaks well and provides his opinion on things.
He's exciting to watch and generally takes shots on, rather than settling for easy pars.
Has a bit of charisma that plenty others don't have.
Loves the Ryder Cup.

sunshine

Visit site
Quite a few reasons.

Coming onto the scene so young, he was one of the 1st global superstars post Tiger who was dominant at 21.
He speaks well and provides his opinion on things.
He's exciting to watch and generally takes shots on, rather than settling for easy pars.
Has a bit of charisma that plenty others don't have.
Loves the Ryder Cup.

Actually he was pretty outspoken in his lack of interest in the Ryder Cup to begin with. He famously said it was just an exhibition, golf is an individual sport, he had individual goals and the RC was not important to him. He obviously changed his tune after the 2010 event - I think the way he admitted he was wrong made him even more popular.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
The worst thing is I'm not even sure what actually went wrong. He just totally lost it.

Mainly because of his age and what he's done so far. He nearly won the Grand Slam in 2015 and could have won the Masters two years ago. Every player has big slumps and hoping this is his, they're long careers and if he took a year to rebuild the bits of his swing (which everyone seems to agree on) then he'll still be in his 20s. I remember working at the 2001 Open and reading lots of people writing Westwood off for good. It's stating the obvious but I do think he's exceptional - I probably thought the same of Duval - but think he's a big-time Charlie who'll get it back. And I'm biased as I really like him.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Actually he was pretty outspoken in his lack of interest in the Ryder Cup to begin with. He famously said it was just an exhibition, golf is an individual sport, he had individual goals and the RC was not important to him. He obviously changed his tune after the 2010 event - I think the way he admitted he was wrong made him even more popular.

I'm aware, but he came round pretty quickly.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mainly because of his age and what he's done so far. He nearly won the Grand Slam in 2015 and could have won the Masters two years ago. Every player has big slumps and hoping this is his, they're long careers and if he took a year to rebuild the bits of his swing (which everyone seems to agree on) then he'll still be in his 20s. I remember working at the 2001 Open and reading lots of people writing Westwood off for good. It's stating the obvious but I do think he's exceptional - I probably thought the same of Duval - but think he's a big-time Charlie who'll get it back. And I'm biased as I really like him.
Is it the way he talks to his ball? Are you a fellow talker :unsure:?

I actually hope you are right. It is not enjoyable watching someone deteriorate in the way that he has. Do you think it is a technical issue or mental.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Is it the way he talks to his ball? Are you a fellow talker :unsure:?

I actually hope you are right. It is not enjoyable watching someone deteriorate in the way that he has. Do you think it is a technical issue or mental.

Paralysis by analysis. He started thinking about the swing, and that was that. In a pod cast he was saying he can't take the club back on line.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
On Spieth I can't remember where I read it, some statistical analysis thing, but they were saying that when he was winning everything his putting stats were off the charts, like he couldn't possibly be expected to maintain them over a longer period. Kind of like a football team scoring way above their Expected Goals ratio. Putt for dough and all that.