Poll: Who will complete the career Grand Slam first?

Who will complete the career Grand Slam first?

• McIlroy

Votes: 28 35.9%
  • Spieth

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • DJ

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Koepka

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Mickelson

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • None of them

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • Someone else

Votes: 7 9.0%

• Total voters

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
For an online piece; vote now and kindly show any workings. Personally quite fancy Thomas to start rattling them off.. thanks

D

Deleted member 15344

Rory , Spieth and Mickelson only have won more left to go

Spieth appears to have lost his game , Mickleson is never going to have the game to win the US Open and Rory needs to get past the one bad round issues

So out of them Rory is favourite

DJ and Koepka only two left - DJ prob the favourite out of those two

Thomas I don’t think we win another - I reckon he is the next Pavin etc who just wins the one

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I’ve not tried it but with so few achieving it in the history of majors (and each of those being immense names in the games history) I’ll guess it’s not as easy as all that. So the odds of someone from the current crop of really really good players achieving it is pretty remote

D

Deleted member 21258

Went for none, for the reasons slab said above.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Koepka. Once back to full fitness he seems pretty relentless and mentally tough when it comes to the Majors. More so than the others (DJ may prove me wrong here and I hope he goes on to win more)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If any of them get there I think it will be DJ IF he keeps playing thenway he's been playing the last 3 months.
I think he's got the game and, now, the experience to win absolutely anywhere.
Spieth and Phil are shot, Rory needs to get his head straight, Brooks, yeah maybe but not before DJ
Rahm hasn't got the mindset..yet.
JT ...got a lot to do.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I voted DJ. The PGA is just a matter of time for him, if he plays on song at one of those he wins it. The Open more challenging, but he has 5x Top 15 finishes, so can clearly play on the Links and has a good couple of opportunities coming up in the next 2 years.

Kopeka would be my next shout, clearly capable of upping his game and competing in any tournament. Rory has demons to still overcome, but I think (or hope!) it will eventually happen.

JT is too wild with driver under pressure for major courses. He will win more PGAs for sure.

Grizzly

Visit site
I'm not convinced I see any of them doing it.

In theory Rory should - but the fact is, the argument that held sway a year ago around if everyone turns up on their best day, Rory wins is starting to look frayed and, whilst I reckon he'll win a couple more its likely they'll be Opens. DJ was great this week, but there is a reason he has only won two to date. I could go on the wind up and say Bryson....but no, I don't see it.

Genuinely, I reckon if anyone is going to do it, it might actually be Morikawa.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I think it will be out of Rory and DJ. Rory should do it, but 6 years is a long time... DJ had a question mark over his ability to finish off majors, but 2 wins now answers that I think.

Spieth is the crazy one. After his Open win, the question for him wasn't if he would complete the grand slam, more when... But unless something absolutely drastically changes for him, I can't see him getting another major.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Spieth - although he’s not in good shape at the moment, if I were to only need to add one more to the collection to complete the grand slam I’d want it to be the PGA.

I’m not sure he will manage it, but he’s got a long career ahead of him and I don’t think the others will do it.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think Rory will. I think mental block at Augusta tbh . He has the game as we all know but something just stops him

I used to think spieth would because he only one short and the PGA is arguably the the easiest but his games gone

DJ or brooks I think will be next to

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A true Grand Slam is all the majors in one season.
Does the Masters just played count as the the last season or as there are two in the current season can it be either.

If if it is just who will be the next player to win all four majors to me it will be McIlroy .

He probably had a good chance this year if it was not for lockdown based on the form he was in in the early season.

sunshine

Visit site
Good question!

Five years ago I would have said Martin Kaymer... but sadly that's not going to happen now.

Mickelson isn't going to win another major, least of all the US Open. Spieth's game has gone AWOL, it's a long road back for him.

Rory only needs one more, so it's got to be him surely. Augusta is suited to his game, and he's played really well there, including last week. Of course there is mental scar tissue there, but he has been able to bounce back before. At some point in the next ten years the stars will align for him: he'll turn up on form, the course will be wet, he'll score well in round 1, get some good breaks, have a hot putter all week.

DJ should go on to win a PGA. He has the game to win an Open, he could well be favourite at RSG next year after he performance in 2011.

Koepka will probably win more US Opens and PGA Championships. I can see him winning a Masters but the only way I can see him winning an Open is at a calm St Andrews.

evemccc

Visit site
I don’t think any of them will but definitely I’d favour DJ over the rest. He’s clearly got the distance to get the PGA and at St Andrews in 2022, if there’s not much wind then he stands a great chance and maybe won’t have a better chance on a links

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it's most likely that none of them will, but I've voted Rory because even though I'm critical of him a lot, he is the one who SHOULD do it first if any of them do - and voting 'none' would have been boring.

For some reason I don't see DJ or Brooks winning the Open. Mickelson is definitely past it, no chance of him winning the US now. Spieth's game is down the toilet for whatever reason, so he needs to get it back before he can be considered. Rory is obviously capable of playing well at Augusta, he just has to do it for four days instead of three.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I think (hope) Rory, inasmuch that after his first round disaster, he did well in the last round, and that would have shown him that he could play well there, well enough to win.
It is also the place where the comp,is always played, so every time he goes round, he should learn something

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Out of interest, why have a couple of people said the PGA is the easiest to win? I thought it normally has the best quality field, based on world ranking...