Point scoring and pointless circular discussions

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember playing a round at Morecambe with someone from here some 10 years ago, who left a while back.
But I had his mobile number and we're now playing in an open at Silloth in July. Will be great to see him again!

Me and the lad from here became great friends, sadly he took up cricket and hasn’t played for a couple of years but we are still in touch regularly. I’ll tempt him back to golf eventually 🤣

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've just scrolled back through the arrange a game section prior to when I joined this forum. Looks like some great days were set up. Courses mentioned include Saunton, Woodhall, Broadstone Bearwood Lakes, Hayling, Ganton, Conwy etc etc

Guess they don't happen anymore as it would just be constant bickering all day or those people have left the forum?

A fair few have left or don’t post as much, but from my experience there definitely wasn’t constant (or any?!) bickering that I remember - apart from about handicaps 🤣

They were great days/trips a good fun.

gregbwfc

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
D

Deleted member 17920

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Re the OP, it’s gone on for a few years. Am with Homer on this. Sometimes this forum is not good for your sanity. Ave seen coppers abused on here, health workers who saw more than enough deaths due to COVID abused. At times it is purgatory. My thoughts are with the mods who have to deal with the crap that is posted. Do I have an answer to the question? No because the answer lies with individuals that don’t know how to move on. But I totally get where the OP is coming from.

D

Deleted member 15344

I've just scrolled back through the arrange a game section prior to when I joined this forum. Looks like some great days were set up. Courses mentioned include Saunton, Woodhall, Broadstone Bearwood Lakes, Hayling, Ganton, Conwy etc etc

Guess they don't happen anymore as it would just be constant bickering all day or those people have left the forum?

A good deal amount of the people that played and arranged those meets are still around and there are still games being played between people but unfortunately apart from H4H are arranged away from the forum.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
A good deal amount of the people that played and arranged those meets are still around and there are still games being played between people but unfortunately apart from H4H are arranged away from the forum.
I do know some people got burned financially arranging games and then no-shows making them put of pocket. I also know of some who tried arranging games and then got no interest.
My hat's off to Smiffy for continuing Cooden Beach and to Richart for his tireless work with H4H.
Hopefully, we can get some more meets sorted or even just a few folks getting together time to time.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Folk who get antsy on here are usually fine when you meet them. I say "usually," I'm sure that's not always the case!

Prices have indeed gone mad. That's nobbled some meets for sure, so has the amount of work involved. I'm playing in a couple of things this year I can't mention to my regular PPs as I know they couldn't afford them.

Hope to see more games posted as the leaves start to reappear on the trees!

Last edited:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Looking at the people that went on the trips very few are still on the forum now.

Absolute stonking trips and so glad we did them before golf prices went to the ridiculous prices we see now.

Yep, as I know sometimes the forum only has a certain shelf life. Some get bored after a few months, some years and if its longer some need to get a life. :)

Organising meets can leave a few scars and deep frustrations, and fair play to you for doing a few more crackers after me and Birchy had had enough. The pricing of clubs also put a tin hat on us doing meets for the same savings (often 50-60% of the normal green fees at courses like Dornoch, Trump, Castle stuart, Carnoustie etc).

Most of all though there was a core of lads who made good and lasting friendships, and wanted to be around each other. As you know the drinking and meals were a large part of the trips as well but also some are only interested in you when your getting them great deals and dont bother their arse with you, if your not.

We could probably still do some great trips, although lesser courses than before but think that the golf courses where more important to some than the craic of going away.

I'd happily go away to Scotland or Yorkshire for 2-3 rounds and just play some good ,but not great courses and have a good weekend away on the ale with the old skool, but dont think there is the appetite for it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It’s prob obvious but I’ve organised this year’s pre-H4H day at Farnham, though have not before now associated my name with it - I preferred to keep behind the scenes. And even as I type I hesitate in expressing my thoughts. But this thread feels the perfect opportunity.

Why have I done this? I recognise that certain views I have on some matters cast me in a certain light with many, and for that mea culpa, but I honestly see our golf and golf meets as a way of us getting together to meet the real people behind the typed word. I hold no resentments against anyone on here, life is too short for that and we have so much in common to share, and sharing together is the best way to build the fellowship that is freely available to us all, if we are open and willing to make the little bit of effort that is all that is required. And with that feeling, I decided to put my bit into sorting the day for the forum, especially those travelling distances. To help engender and build further the unity and togetherness that is H4H day, when all around us is division.

So to all signed up for August 29th, I look forward to meeting all, and I am very confident that all will really enjoy playing my track and the day (our food is splendid). And for those pondering whether to or not, go for it, you know it makes sense. And for £70 it’s a great deal btw.😍

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Things change people come and go. When I firth joined there were a fair few Scottish meets, John Findley was the first guy to start organising meet ups I think. Even the mag git involved they organised a big Meet At Castle Stuart when it opened in 2010, guys came fro all over to play, with more that 50 playing if memory serves me right, most of those guys are long gone, in fact I can only think of Smithy and TheCraw still active that went to that meet. We played Spey Valley, CS, Nairn and Smithy organised a game At Boat of garten on the Monday. The craw used to arrange a big meet at Machrihanish every spring and that was usually well supported. We even had some Ryder cup games between England and Scotland at Goswick that was a great laugh. Alas most of those guys are long gone. Times change.

D

Deleted member 17920

I think there is....I'm a believer in "book it and they will come." H4H is a great example on several levels!
The H4H is a different event. It’s the main event of the year for a forum meet and it’s a great way to go to a great course for a good price plus every person that goes is also donating to a very worthy charity.

For normal meets people’s budgets have changed dramatically plus the deals for the courses we got have dried up for now. Gone are the days of £35 premier inn rooms as well.

I will also add that the hours I put in admin wise for the events was incredible and to say some thought I was a travel agent was an understatement. I only found a few people to be a complete pain and I wouldn’t have them on another trip that I organised again.

All in thought I always enjoyed the trips away and whatever the weather we had a great time and yes one day I will organise a small trip on some of the lesser known courses.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Coming from the "other place" years ago, I would say this forum has changed massively but followed society with its way members act.
There are many who I have time for, a small number I have met and a few I have never met nor have inclination to want to.
At least we don't have adverts for wardrobes and knock off trainers every day, but we do occiasionally get over bearing adverts sanctioned by the owners that take a while to be sorted out.
I just accept nothing every stays the same, thats life and we have to move on and hoprfully with it. It's just nice to keep some semblance of what was before.
Life is just the one innings.