Plus players’ handicaps?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have never ever heard anyone tell me their score v CSS. Only score v par.
Where SSS is less than Par then stating my gross score relative to par was in truth simply a way of inflating how well I had played. Why would I want to do that other than for reasons of ego...and yes...I have indeed done that in the past ?

Swango1980

Visit site
Where SSS is less than Par then stating my gross score relative to par was in truth simply a way of inflating how well I had played. Why would I want to do that other than for reasons of ego...and yes...I have indeed done that in the past ?
Yes, but if you have 40 points, you just want to say 40 points. Who wants to hear "I got 40 points, but the SSS was is 66 and Par is 70, so I only played to handicap"? That is a bit of a mouthful.

Whereas, if CR-Par (i.e. SSS-Par pre WHS) was used, your handicap would have been 4 less, so your handicap score, based on course handicap, would be 36 points, not 40 points. So, you could just say 36 points and leave it at that :)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Maybe its bad but I’m sure I’n not alone…

Typically when I ask a mate how they played I’ve kinda stopped listening before they finish answering the question anyway, it doesn't matter what the score was and what it relates to, I'm really only asking whether they're happy with their day or not... and for gawds sake don't tell me your gross score, how the hell am I supposed to remember everyone's handicap!

sunshine

Visit site
Yes, but if you have 40 points, you just want to say 40 points. Who wants to hear "I got 40 points, but the SSS was is 66 and Par is 70, so I only played to handicap"? That is a bit of a mouthful.

Whereas, if CR-Par (i.e. SSS-Par pre WHS) was used, your handicap would have been 4 less, so your handicap score, based on course handicap, would be 36 points, not 40 points. So, you could just say 36 points and leave it at that :)

That’s just too sensible and easy to understand :LOL:

Could it be that the boffins are trying to make the system as obscure as possible to make themselves more important. ;)

Swango1980

Visit site
Was that by recording false data?
Nope. I've struggled to get in to 70's since coming out of lockdown. Just started lessons to try and get my mojo back. Recently, 4 consecutive scores dropped off, all low 70's. My next round I will lose a 72.

I had been shooting mid 80's at best. Thankfully, I had a little spell a week ago when I submitted 3 or 4 general play rounds in high 70's, so I am only just in my soft cap. Had my really bad spell continues, hard cap would have been met

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've played well over 20 rounds since WHS started. Very very easily. Submit scores in the 80's and 90's, get my 6 shots back
That’s not really manipulating your handicap as I was thinking about it... that’s playing a lot and submitting poor scores. I was thinking more in the context of a round or three. But yes of course if you want to get your handicap index up then just submit a load of rubbish over a period and eventually the rubbish will dominate your handicap record and your HI. Of course when you suddenly enter a great round way under your handicap you may have to field some ‘what happened there then’ type questions.

Swango1980

Visit site
That’s not manipulating your handicap - that’s playing a lot and submitting better scores.
Sorry, you misinterpreted my post, my words probably not clearest.

I meant that I have played many more than 20 rounds since WHS started (I played 7 last week as I was off work)

I was explaining that HAD I shot rounds in mid to high 80's, then I would have reached the hard cap, and effectively had a handicap increase if 6 shots.

As a matter of fact, with lovely weather last week, all 7 rounds made my top 8, most slipping into mid to high 70's. As a result, I am only just beyond the soft cap. But, I lose my lowest round tomorrow when I play again. Had I not had that decent week last week, and my form continued as it had been, I would be well on my way to reaching hard cap. That is without manipulation, but it shows it could be very easy for players to throw in a bunch of high scores and get pretty quick big increases

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry, you misinterpreted my post, my words probably not clearest.

I meant that I have played many more than 20 rounds since WHS started (I played 7 last week as I was off work)

I was explaining that HAD I shot rounds in mid to high 80's, then I would have reached the hard cap, and effectively had a handicap increase if 6 shots.

As a matter of fact, with lovely weather last week, all 7 rounds made my top 8, most slipping into mid to high 70's. As a result, I am only just beyond the soft cap. But, I lose my lowest round tomorrow when I play again. Had I not had that decent week last week, and my form continued as it had been, I would be well on my way to reaching hard cap. That is without manipulation, but it shows it could be very easy for players to throw in a bunch of high scores and get pretty quick big increases
And that would have reflected your general performance at the time. Which is what WHS is about, as opposed to CONGU's faulty measuring of potential.
The bold words above would have got you a 1 stroke increase

Swango1980

Visit site
And that would have reflected your general performance at the time. Which is what WHS is about, as opposed to CONGU's faulty measuring of potential.
The bold words above would have got you a 1 stroke increase
No, from the previous post you questioned, I could get a 6 shot increase from when my low handicap Index was my Index, I never said 1 round would give me a 6 shot increase.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
If nothing else I get the feeling that the new system will make it harder for me to manipulate my handicap...?
Hmmmmm. Did you find it easy to do before? I hope you are merely playing devil's advocate.
The formula for calculating a differential for a score in a 9-hole comp is deeply flawed and is an open door for abuse in terms of handicap manipulation IMO.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Maybe its bad but I’m sure I’n not alone…

Typically when I ask a mate how they played I’ve kinda stopped listening before they finish answering the question anyway, it doesn't matter what the score was and what it relates to, I'm really only asking whether they're happy with their day or not... and for gawds sake don't tell me your gross score, how the hell am I supposed to remember everyone's handicap!
Yep, completely agree. From now on I think I will ask players, "What differential did you achieve today?"