Plus players’ handicaps?

Swango1980

Visit site
I no longer ask anyone what they scored. I always got a blow by blow account of their best shots and their unluckiest situations.
A chap today said he threw away 2 points after bogey the 9th, after his drive was 60 yards from green. I suggested he maybe threw away one point not 2. He is not Dustin Johnson, so he should not be expecting an almost certain birdie from getting up and down from 60 yards. His course handicap is 14.

He finished with 38 points, and discussed this and his blob on 13 as making him very unlucky, could have been so much better. He forgot the fact he sank putts from 10 yards off green on 1st and 14th for birdies, and made a few other big putts. He is thinking he could have had 43+ points. I am thinking he could have had 33- points. Perspective is a funny thing

NearHull

Visit site
A bit of help please. is the application of PH allowances applied simply as a straightforward percentage to + handicappers in exactly the same way as us mere mortals?
Eg
+6 CH in a 4BBB matchplay using 90% allowance has a PH of +5.4 , rounded down to +5?
+5 CH in the same format has a Ph of +4.5 , rounded up to +5? Or rounded down to +4?

Or even
+6 CH in a 4BBB matchplay using 90% allowance has a PH of +6.6, rounded up to +7?
+5 CH in the same format has a Ph of +5.5, rounded up to +6? Or rounded down to +5

my head is totally scrambled

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
In your examples, rounding to nearest integer for +5.4 or + 6.6 appears correct and obvious.
What makes this confusing is that a plus handicap is "computerised" with a minus sign.
Rounding UP of -1.5 gives -1 (an upwards or positive direction) which is consistent with 1.5 being rounded up to 2.
So a PH of +5.5 (computerised as -5.5) should be rounded to PH of +5 for a consistent upwards rounding of halves.
I'm not sure if this is the definitive answer in terms of the new handicapping system, but it is my arithmetical understanding.
More accurate and broader posts with regard to Rules of Handicapping will follow shortly I'm sure.

Swango1980

Visit site
A bit of help please. is the application of PH allowances applied simply as a straightforward percentage to + handicappers in exactly the same way as us mere mortals?
Eg
+6 CH in a 4BBB matchplay using 90% allowance has a PH of +5.4 , rounded down to +5?
+5 CH in the same format has a Ph of +4.5 , rounded up to +5? Or rounded down to +4?

Or even
+6 CH in a 4BBB matchplay using 90% allowance has a PH of +6.6, rounded up to +7?
+5 CH in the same format has a Ph of +5.5, rounded up to +6? Or rounded down to +5

my head is totally scrambled
This is from WHS Manual:

"When handicap allowances are applied, a player with a plus Playing Handicap moves up towards zero including rounding. This is to maintain the same relative difference between Playing Handicaps."

So, a +4.5 golfer would be +4. It is a good question, as rounding often used symmetrical rounding (away from zero), like I believe is default in Excel.