Trouble at t'mill

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
So our club have got through to the last 16 of a big Manchester and district knockout, 7 mixed pairs per team one of which is Captain and Lady Captain. I was asked to provide the name of the other ladies playing, apart from Lady C, we always pick the 6 lowest handicaps available. So this is what I did. This season's president plays in the team, not because of his position but because he is a very good player he plays every year. He wanted to know why the girl he plays with in club comps was not included in the 6 names, in the previous rounds she had played as there were lower players that were unavailable, myself for one game.
I told him why and he said it wasn't fair and as president he should be able to play with who he wants. I decided to have a word with Lady Capt, who I hoped would say she would put him right, but instead she supported the president and told me to tell one of the other ladies that they weren't playing. I wasn't prepared to do this as everyone expected to play so I told the others what had happened and withdrew myself.
The others weren't happy even saying that they would not play, and it was suggested that one would speak to the girl who the president wanted. When she was made aware she understood and withdrew from the team.

All was well or so I thought, I told the others, and Lady C what had happened and she had a right go at me for not doing what she wanted and saying its up to the men who they play with (its not) I was very upset and said I would withdraw then and while I was at it I would resign from the committee as well. I then sent her an email confirming. She has asked me to reconsider but I have told her I am not going back on my word.

Comment if you want, I just wanted to get it off my chest.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds a bit crazy to me with people thinking they are important because they are the president of a golf club.

However, you’ve set yourself up for a fall by having a lowest handicap policy, why should someone be dropped if they have won the round previous (assuming she did).

‘Thanks for playing , and winning, but you’re dropped so someone else can play the final’

Stuff like that makes me say ‘up yours to team golf’

Visit site
Have to agree with Mendie. I have to say it comes across from both of you as the typical ‘well we are on the committee and we know best’ that plagues most clubs. A typical ‘golf club/dark ages’ mentality and response from both of you as far as I can see.
I also wish to add that if your going to resign over such a small matter than you was not probably cut out to be on the committee in the first place. Sorry, but you are open to opinions by posting it on here...

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Quite frankly the days of " it's up to the men who they want to play with" . What kind of lady captain is she. The problem is Lou for me is there is still to much pomp in today's game. If people like you do not put your head above the trenches and fight for others. It will always be the same old same old. Have a sleep on it and consider your position, more so if others support you. If they don't then they can shove it.
One day you may be asked to be lady captain ( if you already haven't). It may be an apt time to again slowly change things.
Trouble at t'mill, not heard that for a while 😁

Wolf

Visit site
Agree with Mendie, openly having a policy for lowest play doesn't do much for the team knowing they won but will be dropped for a final because someone lower now wants to or is available.

That being said I'd also say by resigning you're actually doing the worst thing possible. If you want to fight against this sort of Archaic ideals then sounds like your better off doing it from a position of power so to speak and that's being part of the committee. By resigning you're accepting defeat and allowing this behaviour to continue, better off staying on committee getting support from members and hitting it head on

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fair comments, I would say that the team organises itself without committee involvement as a rule I just happen to be on the committee and was the player asked this year to sort the ladies out, last year it was someone else not on the committee, the lowest players rule has been in place since before I played in the team.

User20204

Visit site
I'd tell them to ram it. of course you want your best team available, why wouldn't you. Those who got them that far shouldn't be so precious and "expect" to be picked just cause you won in the previous round, typical mentality for so many. You don't see Man City playing all their second string players when they reach the cup final do you ?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd tell them to ram it. of course you want your best team available, why wouldn't you. Those who got them that far shouldn't be so precious and "expect" to be picked just cause you won in the previous round, typical mentality for so many. You don't see Man City playing all their second string players when they reach the cup final do you ?

Bit different when your paid £200k a week to playing a sport for fun.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You right ((pompous, dark ages stuff) - don't stoop to their level and resign; stay on the committee and stick up for what's right = that's what you're there for.

D

Deleted member 3432

At the end of the day you stuck to your guns and did what you believed to be right.

Get out there and enjoy your golf Louise.

Lets the others crack on with the mess they have created.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
We always started the season in the MDGA with the lowest available. However, if we drafted someone in with a higher handicap and they won, they stayed in till they lost.

That said, you are the selector/team manager. You've chosen the team. Whatever the final team is, you need to be at the next meeting to argue your corner. If they want an ad hoc, whatever/whenever selection process tell them to find another team manager.

As for resigning from committee, they then get free rein to impose their attitudes on other business. If you have the stamina for it, don't resign but make the Lady Captain and President aware they will be argued against, in the best interests of the club, if you feel they are wrong. They're only in office for a year, and need to be aware that they don't manage every aspect of the club and only provide continuity. They can't chop and change year on year or the club will not know from one year to the next what the process/format for decision making is.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just shows how something seemingly minor can be blown massively out of proportion. You've resigned from the committee and there's a huge rumpus at the club all over a game of golf.
Mad a tell thi but that's golf clubs for you.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Medal Winner
Visit site
At the risk of being somewhat non-2019, I am going to observe that this is not a golf problem. Mrs Gunner played for a women’s tennis team, and was beset by similar issues at every turn.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The best players should be playing for the team. Best player does not mean lower handicap though.

There could be someone playing off 7 who is playing a better standard of golf over someone off 5.

Need to look at recent scores/performances to determine your strongest team.

Although in saying that, having a good partnership and trusting pairing may fair better than having the two best golfers. It is a tricky situation.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
The best players should be playing for the team.

Need to look at recent scores/performances to determine your strongest team.

Although in saying that, having a good partnership and trusting pairing may fair better than having the two best golfers. It is a tricky situation.
this but also needs players to honest with team captains if their game is off admit it . Players are afraid if they do they wont get back on team .. team golf can b played by the most selfish people ..
A pairing could win playing badly and lose playing good golf . U could be 5over and lose another pair coud b 8 over and win . Its hard to get balance right .
But it should b picked on current form of the people eligable to play on it

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We always started the season in the MDGA with the lowest available. However, if we drafted someone in with a higher handicap and they won, they stayed in till they lost.

That said, you are the selector/team manager. You've chosen the team. Whatever the final team is, you need to be at the next meeting to argue your corner. If they want an ad hoc, whatever/whenever selection process tell them to find another team manager.

This is the correct answer.
Asking players to get you to the final then dumping them for somebody’s preffered choice is not on imo.
If any body did that to me I would not play next time I was asked to get the “good players “ into the final.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just shows how something seemingly minor can be blown massively out of proportion. You've resigned from the committee and there's a huge rumpus at the club all over a game of golf.
Mad a tell thi but that's golf clubs for you.

That's people for you - they can be found in many places, not just golf courses.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Best off out of it in my opinion. The guy and lady captain clearly over inflated about their positions and the so called power attached. I'd go through with the resignation and let them get on with it, enjoy your golf and just see how they get on with their selection policy in the final