Trouble at t'mill

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So president for a year, decides to make a precedent and using his position to do what he likes, rather than previously laid down norms.

They also dont have the guts to tell the people themselves and use a conduit to do it instead.

They sound like terrible people, Louise. Totally agree with your viewpoint, whether resigning is the right thing to do, only time will tell. If you enjoy it dont do it, as these people wont be in their poistions of power in 6 months.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
So our club have got through to the last 16 of a big Manchester and district knockout, 7 mixed pairs per team one of which is Captain and Lady Captain. I was asked to provide the name of the other ladies playing, apart from Lady C, we always pick the 6 lowest handicaps available. So this is what I did. This season's president plays in the team, not because of his position but because he is a very good player he plays every year. He wanted to know why the girl he plays with in club comps was not included in the 6 names, in the previous rounds she had played as there were lower players that were unavailable, myself for one game.
I told him why and he said it wasn't fair and as president he should be able to play with who he wants. I decided to have a word with Lady Capt, who I hoped would say she would put him right, but instead she supported the president and told me to tell one of the other ladies that they weren't playing. I wasn't prepared to do this as everyone expected to play so I told the others what had happened and withdrew myself.
The others weren't happy even saying that they would not play, and it was suggested that one would speak to the girl who the president wanted. When she was made aware she understood and withdrew from the team.

All was well or so I thought, I told the others, and Lady C what had happened and she had a right go at me for not doing what she wanted and saying its up to the men who they play with (its not) I was very upset and said I would withdraw then and while I was at it I would resign from the committee as well. I then sent her an email confirming. She has asked me to reconsider but I have told her I am not going back on my word.

Comment if you want, I just wanted to get it off my chest.

You stuck to your guns and did what you believed was right and what had been done in previous rounds. People shouldn't be so precious. if you enjoy doing the organizing don't resign and let the establishment win.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
"we always pick the 6 lowest handicaps available"

This is your answer. You must retract your resignation and enforce what has happened historically. Saying that you are only following what has happened previously. If anyone has a problem with this then they must make a new club rule, when appropriate, regarding selection of players for team events.

It is your only true course of action and relieves you of having to defend your actions if they are thought of as your own. You are only following current club policy.

D

Deleted member 21258

Golf clubs are still like yesteryear and 'political' based, sorry do not agree with the pick lowest handicaps or what the others wanted.

Just not the right/fair choices to make, should either be the best records at matchplay if you want to win or personally I think it should be the people who have played the most for the club in the run up to the finals.

Either way wouldn't resign over it tho, if you do not want to.

Politics would drive me mad, so hats off to you for doing such a 'role'(y)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
"we always pick the 6 lowest handicaps available"

This is your answer. You must retract your resignation and enforce what has happened historically. Saying that you are only following what has happened previously. If anyone has a problem with this then they must make a new club rule, when appropriate, regarding selection of players for team events.

It is your only true course of action and relieves you of having to defend your actions if they are thought of as your own. You are only following current club policy.
Any representative team at our is usually the four semi finalist in the club knock out plus the two quarter finalist beaten by the finalists.
Then the organiser picks him/ herself.
Everyone knows this and it’s fair.
The only exception is the scratch team is the seven lowest caps.
Stops any complaining as you need to qualify by playing well.
If your not playing well you must say so imo and do what is best for the team/club.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What wasn't mentioned in the OP and not seen it mentioned since is the format. If it is mixed foursomes I can certainly see a case for maintaining pairings as much as possible. However as the selection criteria (for the ladies) is lowest handicaps then you are probably going to get pairings who might well never have played together before - and so whether 4BBB or Foursomes may not make a huge difference. But if foursomes and there is scope for maintaining a known pairing then I might suggest that it is perhaps worth doing so.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really it dosnt matter what you do,
Somebody won’t be happy ,they think their club fees entitled them to have a moan.
But if you have a set criteria that’s not set in stone accomadate him if you can.
If you can’t you can’t.

inthehole

Hacker
Visit site
I told him why and he said it wasn't fair and as president he should be able to play with who he wants.

Comment if you want, I just wanted to get it off my chest.

Hmmmm, everything that is wrong with golf clubs and committees and honorary positions. If you had a rule and it was explained to him , he shouldn't be throwing his toys out of the pram - sure he can have a sensible discussion. And he shouldn't be throwing his weight around by playing the president card. He should be pleased to play with someone different !