Plus players’ handicaps?

4LEX

Visit site
As a serious player, I don't care about the rules. Just hit good golf shots and let your scores do the talking was what I had drummed into me. If you win great, if you don't who cares.

sunshine

Visit site
Cool. But the same point applies. In my example above, the +5 player goes to a chicken run with a slope less than 113 and their handicap is increased as a result, so that must suggest the course is relatively more difficult for them than the scratch player, which is highly unlikely. The whole system is benchmarked at scratch, and the problem arises from that.

Reading this thread, I feel like some people haven't properly read or thought about your point, and are just quoting generic statements. You do realise that slope isn't a measure of absolute difficulty but actually relative difficulty for a scratch and bogey golfer? :rolleyes:;)

It is logical to me that, on a tough course with a high slope rating, a bogey golfer needs more shots than HI. And the better the golfer, the CH should trend to HI.

It doesn't make sense to me why that trend does not continue below scratch, I don't understand the V shaped trend.

On the flipside, those with plus handicaps are so few and far between, and unlikely to be interested in playing many handicap events, that it is arguably a moot point.

Swango1980

Visit site
My understanding of handicaps is poor. Can someone explain why a player off +2 plays off +3 off the back tees while a player off 14 then plays off 19?

Why wouldn’t the +2 be off +1 or scratch?

Got stuffed this morning in a fourball knockout, all fair and square, but I don’t get the shots bit (needless it’s not me off +2)
I'm sure this has been answered, but not going to go through all comments.

The purpose of the slope system is to deal with the relative difference of ability between low and high handicappers, NOT the absolute difficulty of the course. Therefore, at a course with a high slope, that means the relative difficulty between low and high handicappers is greater. So, the difference in the number of shots between them will increase. So, if you have a plus handicapper, they will move further away from zero, just as the higher handicapper does in the other direction.

If a +3 handicapper (index) was playing against a scratch golfer, at a course with Slope 113, they'd play off +3 and 0 (course handicaps), the difference being 3. However, if they played at a course with slope 150, then the +3 golfer would likely have a Course handicap of +4, the scratch golfer still 0. So, the difference between them is now an extra shot, because the relative difference makes it that little bit harder for the scratch player than for the +3 player

sunshine

Visit site
I'm sure this has been answered, but not going to go through all comments.

The purpose of the slope system is to deal with the relative difference of ability between low and high handicappers, NOT the absolute difficulty of the course. Therefore, at a course with a high slope, that means the relative difficulty between low and high handicappers is greater. So, the difference in the number of shots between them will increase. So, if you have a plus handicapper, they will move further away from zero, just as the higher handicapper does in the other direction.

If a +3 handicapper (index) was playing against a scratch golfer, at a course with Slope 113, they'd play off +3 and 0 (course handicaps), the difference being 3. However, if they played at a course with slope 150, then the +3 golfer would likely have a Course handicap of +4, the scratch golfer still 0. So, the difference between them is now an extra shot, because the relative difference makes it that little bit harder for the scratch player than for the +3 player

No it hasn't been answered, so thank you (y)

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Handicaps are indeed anchored in a statistical sense, benchmarked, if you prefer.

Playing handicaps are increased from the Handicap Index for more difficult courses, lets say if a member of Bracknell Municipal is playing Carnoustie. That increase is greater for higher handicaps. Now when you get into plus handicaps, unless you believe that plus players play better at Carnoustie than Bracknell, then their handicaps should increase also, but that means that the number reduces, because it is being added rather than subtracted. But because the system is, ahem, anchored, sorry, benchmarked at 0, the amount of increase falls from a lot at high handicaps, to a bit less at mid handicaps to a little at low handicaps to none at scratch then moves to a reduction when it crosses from regular (subtractive) handicaps to plus (additive) handicaps. That assumes the relationship between playing score at Carnoustie compared to Bracknell inverts at scratch. It plainly doesn't.

So 3 guys, handicaps 5, 0 and +5 play Carnoustie, slope 145 (not sure if that is correct, but don't worry about it).

5 guy is now 6
Scratch is now 0.
+5 guy is now +6.

So the worst player gets a small extra handicap allowance, the scratch player gets none and the best player is penalised for playing a harder course.

Now they play a return match at Bracknell Miuni which has a slope of 100.

5 guy is now a 4, scratch guy is still 0 and +5 guy is now a +4.

So the 5 handicapper gets a lower handicap at the Open venue than the chicken run, but the opposite applies to the + guy?
In the first case I assume you.think the +5 player should be playing off +4 rather than +6., This would make no sense as the 5 player would still be getting just 10 shots against the plus handicapper on a RELATIVELY harder course for higher handicappers. Just to further illustrate, a scratch player at that club would remain off scratch, a player with a HI of 10 would receive 12 shots, so similar to the +5 and -5 players in your example there would be 12 shots between them, which makes complete sense to me.

D

Deleted member 21445

I'm off +1

Went to a championship golf course in Southport with a harder slope and rating than my home course and had to play off +2

Its confusing to say the least

The idea is the harder the course the more shots you get but when you go + the opposite happens ???

wjemather

Visit site
I'm off +1

Went to a championship golf course in Southport with a harder slope and rating than my home course and had to play off +2

The idea is the harder the course the more shots you get but when you go + the opposite happens ???
Course Rating is the measure of course difficulty, not the Slope Rating.

A higher Slope just means the course is relatively harder for higher handicappers (compared to lower handicappers), and relatively easier for lower handicappers (compared to higher handicappers). As such, high handicappers get more strokes and plus handicappers give more strokes back to the course.

sunshine

Visit site
I'm off +1

The way the system works is so illogical. But I think I understand it now.

The course is relatively harder for higher handicappers than you. For example a scratch golfer would see their handicap move from 0 to 0, so you are getting "penalised" a shot to allow for the fact that they need more help from the handicap system than you.

The important thing to grasp with slope index is that is about relative difficulty compared to other golfers. It's not how hard you find the course. I'm struggling with this concept too.

wjemather

Visit site
The way the system works is so illogical. But I think I understand it now.

The course is relatively harder for higher handicappers than you. For example a scratch golfer would see their handicap move from 0 to 0, so you are getting "penalised" a shot to allow for the fact that they need more help from the handicap system than you.

The important thing to grasp with slope index is that is about relative difficulty compared to other golfers. It's not how hard you find the course. I'm struggling with this concept too.
It probably would have been easier for most people to get their head around if CONGU had included "Course Rating - Par" in the Course Handicap calculation like the rest of the world!!

yandabrown

Visit site
Dean Knuth, the inventor of the slope system, is very much against the change, here is a snippet from his site (emphasis mine):

... I am very concerned with details of the new World Handicap System.

In an effort to create a process that every golf association in the world can accept (One Size Fits All concept), the USGA has downgraded the handicap system in the United States. What was a straightforward and precise process has been transformed into one that is more complicated and less precise. American golfers will immediately feel its changes. I believe that the introduction of what I’ll call “par handicaps,” is the most significant mistake.

What is a par handicap? A par handicap results when par is part of the calculation that creates a Playing Handicap or Course Handicap. As you know, par was not a factor in the American system of handicap calculation, nor need it have been. One’s handicap index was adjusted not by par but by course rating to create a playing handicap, or what we continue to call a Course Handicap. A course’s rating, not its par, is what’s important. Two courses with par 72s, I don’t have to tell you, can vary greatly in difficulty.

You can read more here: https://popeofslope.com/world-handicap-system.html

wjemather

Visit site
Why? Par is a meaningless arbitrary number.
The majority of players compare their scores against the par of each hole and the par of the course - they simply don't understand or care about Course Rating.

Par is also a fundamental part of the handicapping system due to net double bogey adjustments.

I've read Dean Knuth's arguments against the USGA's adoption of this part of the calculation and they just don't stand mathematical scrutiny. In fact, not adopting CR-Par has a very small detrimental effect on the aforementioned net double bogey adjustments.

Swango1980

Visit site
What does par actually mean?
Par is the score that 99%+ golfers see as the score a "scratch" golfer should go round in, and what 99%+ of golfers compare their score to.

These golfers do not appreciate that the Par of the course says nothing about how hard the course is.

However, if CR-Par was embedded within the handicap, then they no longer need to worry about this. A scratch golfer will not be a scratch golfer at a very hard course, he may play off 2, 3, or whatever. At a very very easy course he may play off +2, +3 or whatever.

Using CR-Par removes the confusion golfers have, gives them more shots at very hard courses and less at very easy courses. This is why other national authorities have chosen to use this, and I am assuming the reason they have is based on my description above.

Swango1980

Visit site
Dean Knuth, the inventor of the slope system, is very much against the change, here is a snippet from his site (emphasis mine):

... I am very concerned with details of the new World Handicap System.

In an effort to create a process that every golf association in the world can accept (One Size Fits All concept), the USGA has downgraded the handicap system in the United States. What was a straightforward and precise process has been transformed into one that is more complicated and less precise. American golfers will immediately feel its changes. I believe that the introduction of what I’ll call “par handicaps,” is the most significant mistake.

What is a par handicap? A par handicap results when par is part of the calculation that creates a Playing Handicap or Course Handicap. As you know, par was not a factor in the American system of handicap calculation, nor need it have been. One’s handicap index was adjusted not by par but by course rating to create a playing handicap, or what we continue to call a Course Handicap. A course’s rating, not its par, is what’s important. Two courses with par 72s, I don’t have to tell you, can vary greatly in difficulty.

You can read more here: https://popeofslope.com/world-handicap-system.html
It sounds like Mr Knuth has not fully understood what the WHS does. WHS DOES use Course Rating when calculating Player Index values. It does not use Par at all. In the US, it only used Par when converting the Index back to Course Handicap so that the course handicap reflects both the absolute and relative difficulties of the course.

I'm only judging this by what I read in your post. I'm sure he has a plethora of knowledge of what the US did before (obviously), and maybe I have misinterpreted his statement in relation to WHS.