Playing TOC St Andrews

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Donna and I did a weekend at Ashbury. Very cheap, but fun as you say. But that's very very very different gravy.

If you'd rather have 4 days there, than play The Old Course, that's very much up to you.

We are all different, with different views. I can't pretend to understand it, but hey, that's none of my business. 😁

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
To the recent replies:

The trouble I’m faced with is the fact that the majority of my group share the same views as 90% of people in this thread.

Hence me coming on the forum to try and change my reasoning so I can jump on board with them - as right now I don’t want to be ‘that guy’ who wants to p*** on peoples parades. No one wants to be the party pooper.

I hoped it could be sold to me on here so I could jump on their bandwagon but unfortunately I don’t think it has worked.

D

Deleted member 15344

To the recent replies:

The trouble I’m faced with is the fact that the majority of my group share the same views as 90% of people in this thread.

Hence me coming on the forum to try and change my reasoning so I can jump on board with them - as right now I don’t want to be ‘that guy’ who wants to p*** on peoples parades. No one wants to be the party pooper.

I hoped it could be sold to me on here so I could jump on their bandwagon but unfortunately I don’t think it has worked.

Your mind was made up when you started , there is nothing anyone could say that would change your opinion on if paying that much for one round is worth it

No one here can tell you that you should pay that money

For me it’s worth the money for all the reasons stated on here

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
To the recent replies:

Just let them go and tell them you’ll be off doing some sightseeing or something else.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Your mind was made up when you started , there is nothing anyone could say that would change your opinion on if paying that much for one round is worth it

No one here can tell you that you should pay that money

For me it’s worth the money for all the reasons stated on here

I had my opinions but like I said previously these don’t really hold any weight as not played the course.
Just let them go and tell them you’ll be off doing some sightseeing or something else.

It’s almost certain that one of our rounds on the New, Jubilee and Castle would have to be sacrificed in order to play TOC so I wouldn’t be at a loose end as have those rounds booked.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I have yet to play Rutland Water golf course, but I think it will be a lot flatter than Draycote and a bit more open with fewer trees. Lots of ups and downs at Draycote and you get to see the rezzy from the 12th green to the 14th tee. Rest of the time it is mostly hidden from view even though it is a massive lake.
My favourite coastal view from a golf course is Three Cliffs Bay from Pennard.
Is someone comparing Draycote/Whitefield GC to the Old Course. I must be reading this wrong, as that course is one of the worst I have ever played. The highlight of the round was when a player from a group behind drove his single seat buggy straight through a bunker on an adjacent hole. What made it even better was the fact he had tied a giant garden umbrella to the back of it to shade him from the sun.

The signature hole down by the reservoir was covered in hundreds of Canada Geese with the hole being made more interesting by us having to tip toe through their droppings, which covered the fairway.

I must be mistaken, I apologise in advance.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
To the recent replies:

Ah now that is where i may change my mind. If that is what my mates are doing and that is where the golf with my mates is on that day, if I had the £320.00 then I would give it serious consideration. An experience with mates is worth something to me that may elevate it above what I previously thought because simply playing the course to say that i have, played golfing history etc would be of no interest. That said, what are the chances of you getting out together. Again, no interest to me if we all played but in different groups. I would compare it to a trip away. Would I want to go to Skegness, no. Would I want to go with all my mates to Skegness, yes, time away with good company is worth the cost wherever it is.

Lot of variables there.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Nail on head for me.

My first golfing trip was last year to Ashbury Manor. It cost £350 for 4 nights - breakfast lunch dinner and bed with unlimited golf on 5 different courses. 16 of us went.

Now, the venue to my knowledge doesn’t seem like it’s steeped in history. The courses are definitely playable and the accommodation extraordinarily outdated. Food surprisingly good and looked forward to each meal.

The memories made will last a lifetime and that annual trip is now something I look forward to every year. It’s by far the biggest event for me at present in my golfing calendar.

And to put a price on that?

Roughly the same as 1 knock at TOC.

I wish you many more golf trips with your buddies. And it doesn’t matter where you go or how prestigious the courses are you play. You have absolutely encapsulated the very essence of the good memories that are created.

Just to relate two of my trips from the mists of time, both of which are well remembered. First of all, I’d say none of the courses are, perhaps, in the UK’s top 50. Neither trip was to a hotel/golf combo. We picked small, independent hotels/pubs in small towns for the accommodation.

The first trip was to the Scottish Borders, playing the likes of Moffat & Peebles. Very decent courses. The eating was either in clubhouse or back in the town followed by a sensible, few beers around the town square. Although the late, last night pool comp in one of the pubs was epic.

The second trip was to Blairgowrie, with golf played at Alyth, Crail, King Jimmy’s in Perth, Blair Atholl & Braemar. Again, we ate out at local restaurants - it was a bit weird to go into a restaurant and have a conversation with the owner along the lines of, “I hear you ate at xxxx last night. Was it good? Did you have the xxx? You should try yyyy restaurant and have their zzzz.”

I’ve always found that basing the group in a nice market town makes the evenings better, and also gives more choice for food. All you need is 4-5 courses max it make it a great Mon-Fri trip.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have yet to play Rutland Water golf course, but I think it will be a lot flatter than Draycote and a bit more open with fewer trees. Lots of ups and downs at Draycote and you get to see the rezzy from the 12th green to the 14th tee. Rest of the time it is mostly hidden from view even though it is a massive lake.
My favourite coastal view from a golf course is Three Cliffs Bay from Pennard.

You would be surprised at the amount of trees and hills on Rutland Water. I learned to play there when it was just a par 3, then when they opened 3 full lenth holes, then 9, then 18. Nice place. No pretentions but good fun.

D

Deleted member 15344

I had my opinions but like I said previously these don’t really hold any weight as not played the course.

It’s almost certain that one of our rounds on the New, Jubilee and Castle would have to be sacrificed in order to play TOC so I wouldn’t be at a loose end as have those rounds booked.

Then you will have to make a choice

There is no right or wrong answer

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Is someone comparing Draycote/Whitefield GC to the Old Course. I must be reading this wrong, as that course is one of the worst I have ever played. The highlight of the round was when a player from a group behind drove his single seat buggy straight through a bunker on an adjacent hole. What made it even better was the fact he had tied a giant garden umbrella to the back of it to shade him from the sun.

The signature hole down by the reservoir was covered in hundreds of Canada Geese with the hole being made more interesting by us having to tip toe through their droppings, which covered the fairway.

Brilliant.

Our course isn’t amazing but we get tremendous value out of it all year round.

Ah now that is where i may change my mind. If that is what my mates are doing and that is where the golf with my mates is on that day, if I had the £320.00 then I would give it serious consideration. An experience with mates is worth something to me that may elevate it above what I previously thought because simply playing the course to say that i have, played golfing history etc would be of no interest. That said, what are the chances of you getting out together. Again, no interest to me if we all played but in different groups. I would compare it to a trip away. Would I want to go to Skegness, no. Would I want to go with all my mates to Skegness, yes, time away with good company is worth the cost wherever it is.

Lot of variables there.

It’s very unlikely all of us would get through the ballot but if that happens I am faced with an almighty dilemma for sure.

At present I think the best case scenario would be for a 4 ball to get through the ballot leaving the other 4 to play our planned round.

Some drama may unfold as to who the 2x4’s will be. I think I can play it off by offering my OC Spot up and come out looking like the good guy 🤣

I wish you many more golf trips with your buddies. And it doesn’t matter where you go or how prestigious the courses are you play. You have absolutely encapsulated the very essence of the good memories that are created.

Just to relate two of my trips from the mists of time, both of which are well remembered. First of all, I’d say none of the courses are, perhaps, in the UK’s top 50. Neither trip was to a hotel/golf combo. We picked small, independent hotels/pubs in small towns for the accommodation.

The first trip was to the Scottish Borders, playing the likes of Moffat & Peebles. Very decent courses. The eating was either in clubhouse or back in the town followed by a sensible, few beers around the town square. Although the late, last night pool comp in one of the pubs was epic.

The second trip was to Blairgowrie, with golf played at Alyth, Crail, King Jimmy’s in Perth, Blair Atholl & Braemar. Again, we ate out at local restaurants - it was a bit weird to go into a restaurant and have a conversation with the owner along the lines of, “I hear you ate at xxxx last night. Was it good? Did you have the xxx? You should try yyyy restaurant and have their zzzz.”

I’ve always found that basing the group in a nice market town makes the evenings better, and also gives more choice for food. All you need is 4-5 courses max it make it a great Mon-Fri trip.

Yes this sounds like something we are looking to do next but abroad. Guaranteed weather will take a good group golfing to the next level.

D-S

Visit site
Torrey Pines
Fields Ranch East + West
Royal St George
Centro Nacional
Spanish Bay
Kiawah Island
PGA National Florida
Bethpage
Bro Hof castle course
Spyglass Hill
Harbour Town
Oakmont
Pinehurst
Pebble Beach

Pretty much all except TOC
I've played 5 of those in real life but none on a sim - I think for the experience I would trade any one of them for my round at the Old Course, not because its a better course but it is the original, history etc. .

Having said that the 5 courses that I played on that list were all pretty special for different reasons - none of them were cheap.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site

So it was a sunny day, you got see a flock of wild fowl, observed a comedy moment and had a round of golf.
Sounds like quite a pleasant time to me.
As for it being one of the worst courses you've ever played, you clearly have not played enough poor quality courses. Whose fault is that? :D

;););)

Last edited:

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
I've played 5 of those in real life but none on a sim - I think for the experience I would trade any one of them for my round at the Old Course, not because its a better course but it is the original, history etc. .

Having said that the 5 courses that I played on that list were all pretty special for different reasons - none of them were cheap.

In your honest opinion…

If an Alien landed on Earth and played those 6 courses for free (inc TOC) where would you expect this alien to rank those courses in terms of overall wow factor.

(Alien knows nothing about history btw, he can’t even spell it)

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Put your big boy pants on and say you don’t want to play TOC to your mates - maybe others feel the same but are feeling under pressure to go with the flow. It’s your money and free time, you’ll probably look forward to the trip more…if you get swept up in the Town and change your mind when you are there, you could try the early queue at the starters hut.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Put your big boy pants on and say you don’t want to play TOC to your mates - maybe others feel the same but are feeling under pressure to go with the flow. It’s your money and free time, you’ll probably look forward to the trip more…if you get swept up in the Town and change your mind when you are there, you could try the early queue at the starters hut.

How does this work?

I’m sure a cpl may be interested

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
In your honest opinion…

If an Alien landed on Earth and played those 6 courses for free (inc TOC) where would you expect this alien to rank those courses in terms of overall wow factor.

(Alien knows nothing about history btw, he can’t even spell it)

This question confirms that TOC is not for you. The whole point of the old is the history, the beginning, the atmosphere and the aura. Underneath that it’s a decent links course that certainly hasn’t been easy anytime I have played it.

Is it the best golf course in Scotland? No, but is it the most revered? Probably. And THAT, right there is why its popular to the point of needing a ballot and having a high green fee.

If none of that means anything to you, no one will convince you otherwise.

I’ll admit I do find it odd for a golfer though. But, dif’rent strokes an all that.