Playing TOC St Andrews

D

Deleted member 15344

This is what he needs to be persuaded by.
He is relatively new to golf, but very enthusiastic about the game.
He understands other people have a huge enthusiasm for playing The Old Course.
He is willing to be persuaded, but merely giving up on him, as you seem to be prepared to do in a very negating way, serves only to not stimulate any appreciation of the Old Course experience that he might be willing to embrace.
If his view could be changed, by positive persuasion rather than negative dismissiveness, he might gain a lot more from his forthcoming trip, despite the extra cost involved.

When someone is calling a course boring ugly and easy without even playing it then it’s very hard for anyone to either make the effort to bother persuading him or take it seriously

D

Deleted member 29109

OP. You are not allowed to say anything negative about links courses on here. You are lucky you haven’t been found and stoned for your views on The Old Course.

I’m another one who has no interest in playing it. I don’t buy into the hallowed turf/history stuff. I suspect it’s great marketing from the R&A and certainly works.

I’d be more than happy to shell out to play a spectacular course. TOC isn’t that course for me.

D

Deleted member 29109

When someone is calling a course boring ugly and easy without even playing it then it’s very hard for anyone to either make the effort to bother persuading him or take it seriously
It certainly does look boring compared to other links courses.

D

Deleted member 15344

It certainly does look boring compared to other links courses.

Always find it hard to judge a course without actually seeing it in the flesh so to speak - a lot of the interest of links can’t be shown in a picture and is more apparent when walking the holes -but some just don’t like links or have no interest in the history , understandable

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Played it several times, and loved it each time (like most golf - it's always fun afterwards, not always fun during).
Love the town and it's history.

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If the history etc doesn't do anything for you then don't bother. The course is pretty forgettable apart from a few holes. It is way too expensive if you don't want the bragging rights and comparisons of "I hit a 6 iron here" and "drove into that bunker there" etc.
The new course is right next to it and is almost as good a course as TOC.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
No big dunes, but the Clubhouse and Auld Grey Toon back drop more than compensates!😁

There's enough humps and hollows to keep it interesting. The bunkering is more than "decent" too!🤪

Kids today, no respect!🤣🤣🤣
Couldn't tell you about the bunkers. I didn't go in a single one when I played it first time! 🤣
Only went in one and got straight out second time I played it too. 😉

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Someone calling The Old Course boring and ugly would make it very easy for me to present a positive convincing case to attempt to persuade them otherwise.
And that is what I believe the OP was asking us to do.
But, as I have never played it, I was leaving it to others to do just that.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Someone calling The Old Course boring and ugly would make it very easy for me to present a positive convincing case to attempt to persuade them otherwise.
And that is what I believe the OP was asking us to do.
But, as I have never played it, I was leaving it to others to do just that.
I tried by sharing what I feel is a stunning sunrise over the old and new. And it didn't seem to do anything.
Having read the replies from the OP, nothing is going to convince him. And that's okay. Each to their own.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
I tried by sharing what I feel is a stunning sunrise over the old and new. And it didn't seem to do anything.
Having read the replies from the OP, nothing is going to convince him. And that's okay. Each to their own.

I showed the picture to my better half incase I missed something.

Her reaction was the same.

I did however get a much more animated response when I disclosed the green fee.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Never played ToC on a video game or simulator. Never been to St. Andrews. My opinion of the course is based solely
on television coverage. And I'm with Bamberdele on thinking it looks nothing special.

For me - golf is about playing not history.

I love links golf and could afford the green fee as a one off, but given the choice of paying £320 for one round on ToC or....

3 rounds at Silloth or Southerness
4 rounds at Seaton Carew
6 rounds at Cleveland or Seascale
8 rounds at Hartlepool or Dunstanburgh
10 rounds at Newbiggin

I'm not heading to St. Andrews anytime soon!!

Most of the stories me and my playing partners still reminisce about years after the event are things that happened
to us, usually on run of the mill courses.
You couldn't pay me £320 to play Newbiggin again.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I think it might take more than just a few minutes or hours or one picture for someone to change their view on such a thing.
I liked your photo, but then that was preaching to the converted, in my case.

Here is a view taken from close to the 13th green where OP plays. Looking east at a sunrise.

Draycote.jpg

I imagine he does appreciate a nice view on or from a golf course.

D

Deleted member 35504

I think it might take more than just a few minutes or hours or one picture for someone to change their view on such a thing.

Here is a view taken from close to the 13th green where OP plays. Looking east at a sunrise.

View attachment 52223

Course looks incredibly beautiful and interesting...

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Couldn't tell you about the bunkers. I didn't go in a single one when I played it first time! 🤣
Only went in one and got straight out second time I played it too. 😉
Haha
I also missed all the bunkers when I played. Probably wasn't good enough to hit them.
I don't think it looks at its best on the telly. Low light in the morning and evening really brings the subtleties to life. Its a wonderful piece of golfing land, and (imho) has the best terrain of the courses there. It was laid out there first for a reason!
No help to the OP, but it's much better played out of season. No enormous groups of overseas golfers complete with videographers recording it all for posterity. Easy to get on etc etc.

D

Deleted member 15344

View attachment 52223

It’s a lake ? And can’t see the golf hole ? And I believe that’s Draycote - filter has done well

IMG_7583.jpeg

IMG_7585.jpeg

Nothing beats the view of the coast