Playing TOC St Andrews

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
For me it is a must play.
Was lucky enough to play it in 2022 (Just before the Open), made a couple of cracking days.
Played the New Course on our first day, teed off at 13:00hrs, gave us a chance to get a couple of drams before heading out.
Back to the Air B and B, showers changed and out, few pubs and dinner, cracking night.
Up the next day, down to the club house for 11, had our breakfast then a few drams before making our way to the starting hut of the Old Course.
There was about 100 Japanese tourists behind us all with their phones out as we were about to tee off, it's pretty nerve racking to be fair (Whisky before hand helped here 😂) but you do get a real sense of the History and Nostalgia and why all these people are here.
The course was in excellent condition and felt special.
I went round with my Dad, brother and Uncle which probably added to the experience as a family memory.
Worth every penny.

D

Deleted member 15344

Looks like a big field that hasn’t been mowed properly. We walk our dogs along something similar most days

If you aren’t a fan of links then I’m not sure why you are going to St Andrews

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
6 of 8 of us are links virgins.

8 are St Andrews virgins

If you’re only links virgins, find a cheaper links for your first trip.

Result A - you could hate it and won’t have wasted the money to play three

Result B - you’ll love it and realise it’s worth saving a bit more and doing a trip ticking off TOC

I think it’s great that you can start a thread and disagree with yourself… takes great skill that

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
If you’re only links virgins, find a cheaper links for your first trip.

Result A - you could hate it and won’t have wasted the money to play three

Result B - you’ll love it and realise it’s worth saving a bit more and doing a trip ticking off TOC

I think it’s great that you can start a thread and disagree with yourself… takes great skill that

Tbf it’s not my gig. Supporting a friends milestone bday and if it were up to me I would be on a plane to a place with guaranteed sun

From post #62 it seems a lot of the target audience is Japanese tourists

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would hate to tell someone else what courses they should and should not like.
I love St Andrews and the atmosphere there. I love all the courses that I have played there but that does not include TOC.

Would I pay the green fee to play it, definitely but only under some circumstances. Clearly no one can guarantee the weather. However I would only pay the full whack if I was playing with like minded golfers who I know would also enjoy the experience. If I was going to be with someone who was grumbling about the fee and thinking it was a poor course it would probably detract significantly from my enjoyment.

If I was the OP I would go along play the other courses and if you discover you like the vibe of St Andrews and the experience of links golf come back a second time but forget about TOC on this occasion.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looks like a big field that hasn’t been mowed properly. We walk our dogs along something similar most days
With respect it seems like you don’t have a clue.
I agree with some of the earlier comments. Don’t waste your money and take ballot spaces away from others who would appreciate the course, it’s nuance, it’s emotion.

I’m now absolutely in the camp that this is trolling, and I’m partially disappointed in myself that I’m reacting to it

D

Deleted member 15344

Tbf it’s not my gig. Supporting a friends milestone bday and if it were up to me I would be on a plane to a place with guaranteed sun

From post #62 it seems a lot of the target audience is Japanese tourists

It doesn’t have a “target audience” outside those that love golf and its history -but many people from all over the world travel just to experience the atmosphere in the town , it’s not just about the course.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
With respect it seems like you don’t have a clue.
I agree with some of the earlier comments. Don’t waste your money and take ballot spaces away from others who would appreciate the course, it’s nuance, it’s emotion.

I’m now absolutely in the camp that this is trolling, and I’m partially disappointed in myself that I’m reacting to it

No disrespect but that picture that was posted did absolutely nothing for me. If someone posted the attached my head would be turned and would be more inclined to want to play it.

Attachments

• IMG_7840.jpeg
    IMG_7840.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 19

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The local dragons quest has a great atmosphere and is only £15 for a day ticket, but I can’t par the one with the landrover on it. It’s right next to a travel lodge and harvester too….. just saying.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The OPs current view that it’s “ugly boring and easy” - it’s based on playing it on a computer

Either the Op is having a bit of a giggle or genuinely judged courses on how they are on simulation- if it’s the latter then it’s jr most ridiculous thing I have ever heard or said on here - and there has been a lot

You only getting true feeling of TOC by being there and being on the course

Now it’s a lot of money but that’s the price to pay to play such an iconic illustrious course

TOC is more than the course - but if someone isn’t interested in that then save the money for another course
This is what he needs to be persuaded by.
He is relatively new to golf, but very enthusiastic about the game.
He understands other people have a huge enthusiasm for playing The Old Course.
He is willing to be persuaded, but merely giving up on him, as you seem to be prepared to do in a very negating way, serves only to not stimulate any appreciation of the Old Course experience that he might be willing to embrace.
If his view could be changed, by positive persuasion rather than negative dismissiveness, he might gain a lot more from his forthcoming trip, despite the extra cost involved.

The Fader

Visit site
Never played ToC on a video game or simulator. Never been to St. Andrews. My opinion of the course is based solely
on television coverage. And I'm with Bamberdele on thinking it looks nothing special.

For me - golf is about playing not history.

I love links golf and could afford the green fee as a one off, but given the choice of paying £320 for one round on ToC or....

3 rounds at Silloth or Southerness
4 rounds at Seaton Carew
6 rounds at Cleveland or Seascale
8 rounds at Hartlepool or Dunstanburgh
10 rounds at Newbiggin

I'm not heading to St. Andrews anytime soon!!

Most of the stories me and my playing partners still reminisce about years after the event are things that happened
to us, usually on run of the mill courses.